Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C and Shaving & Brushing Teeth

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have PTSD and OCD and Hepatitis C
Strangers saved my life many years ago and because of this I am very overprotective of my family and strangers.
I shave twice a month and brush my teeth about once a month.
I am very afraid of my blood because hepatitis c lives outside the body for up to 4 days.
Don't know what to do. Many people tell me to just wash of blood with soap and water like everyone else but my ocd and medical information from the internet doesn't let me do that.
Does anyone else have these kind of problems?  
what stage are you? what Geno Type are you? have you had a biopsy? Have you treated before? When were you diagnosed?

why are you afraid of your blood, it's not like you can catch HCV from yourself. i think you should post in the OCD forum if there is one here.
I don't know what stage. Don't remember Genotype. Didn't have a biopsy. No treatment because it will affect my mental health and doctor doesn't recommend it. I have a low viral load.
I am not afraid of getting sick from my blood I live with my mother and often have family come over. Whenever they want to use the sink after me where there was blood I freak out and need to make sure I did everything in my power to keep them safe.
I felt the same about family and strangers when I was first diagnosed.   However, my ex-partner was tested (negative) and my son (39 hour labour before I knew I had HVC) was also negative.    

I think you're referring to HVC living outside of the body in certain conditions i.e the small vacuum at the end of a syringe, where there is no oxygen.  Skin is an incredible barrier for blood borne viruses, and any stranger/family member would need direct contact 'blood to blood'.  I would worry if I cut my finger cooking (which I did on numerous occasions!), but took as much responsibility as I could, and no close family members caught it from me, even prior to when I knew I carried the virus.

Remember that many people with HVC do not know that they carry it, and normal precautions should prevail around any cuts etc., (as they do on sports fields etc) i.e. everyone should act as though others may have a blood born virus;  it's not only your responsibilty, and you are obviously being as careful as you can - try not to worry!

On another note, it would be wise to concentrate on your own state of health whether or not you have been recommended not to have interferon.  There are other treatments coming out in future that you may be able to tolerate, so get your Genotype and copies of your blood tests so that you can be prepared to one day, hopefully, be rid of HCV altogether!
Hello Kristina,

Thanks for your feedback.
I am worried about things like brushing my teeth and then spitting blood in the sink. I clean excessively everything in the sink from knobs to where the water comes out.  Same thing when I am shaving.
Also when I do brush my teeth I am afraid of giving my family back my plates so they can wash them because my mouth is bleeding. Also, when I brush my teeth I am afraid to speak because my saliva that has blood might come in contact with their eyes. It's very difficult.