High levels of AST? Symptoms for...?
Dear all,

My dad has just returned from his annual blood test, and there were bad news about his liver -

Protein - 81 (normal)
Albumin - 46 (normal)
Bilirubin - 12 (normal)
Alkaline Phosphatase - 104 (normal)
***Alanine Transaminase (AST)*** 265 (abnormal)

I am worried sick. Please tell me what the high levels of AST means? Is 265 considered to be abnormally high?

Thanks for any response.

Karl
Ast is an enzyme produced mainly in your liver.  A 'normal' range for a male is <30 or so.

Ast of 265 is very high.  Do you know what the Alt level is?  that is another enzyme more specific to the liver.
Alanine aminotransferase  is ALT.

Aspartate aminotransferase is AST.

AST formerly was called serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase and was referred to as SGOT.

Alanine Transaminase? Are you sure th lab value isn't Alanine aminotransferase which is ALT?
Both those values are liver enzymes and although ALT is considered more liver specific than AST an elevation of AST in that range is also a sign that a liver problem may exist.

Mike

Jakied, Mike,

Sorry, I had meant ALT.

Karl
An Alt level of 265 is VERY high and means there is something happening to your liver.

Do you have a risk factor for hepatitis b or c?  Risky sex (hep b) or blood transfusion or

intravenous drug use for hep c.

Do you have any symptoms of hepatitis?  Yellow skin or yellow color in the white part of your eyes?  dark urine or light stool color?  stomach or joint pain?

When a liver cell dies it releases an enzyme - thus the higher the number the more damage that is being done (the more of your liver is dying).  

When my enzymes came back in the 200s the doctor immediately ordered a hepc test and voila that is exactly what it was.

Something is DEFINITELY happening to your liver and I suppose most doctors would assume hep.  I would be surprised if they hadn't tested you for it right away.

By the way - many of us NEVER had any symptoms of the disease at all and we had NO idea we had it until our unfortunate abnormal liver enzyme results.  So, if you haven't had any of the classic symptoms it doesn't mean anything.  You can only tell via the simple blood test.

Having hepc is not as bad as not knowing you have hepc believe it or not.  Once you know you have it you can take the necessary steps to get rid of it. It's not called The Silent Killer for nothing.

I have had ALT higher than 265 without any jaundice - yellow skin or sclera- in fact I wouldn't have known anything was wrong if I didn't see it on my labs.
While that 265 is an elevated ALT it is not extremely elevated. An ALT >2000 would be considered an extreme elevation.
Nevertheless, an ALT of 265 is a sign that you likely have problem with your liver and you should get seen by a liver specialist - hepatologist or at least by a gastroenterologist to have further tests preformed to find out what is going on.
I wouldn't panic but I would get seen as soon as possible.
Mike
Thanks, Mike, nygirl7, Jakied,

Our GP recommended that my dad re-test in three months time. Will just have to wait for that, I guess.

No, there's no symptom for Hepatitis C also, ie no yellowing of skin, stool, etc. As far as I know....no risky sex or drugs.

Karl
I would want to be seen sooner than 3 months if at all possible. Three months seems long a long time for you and your Dad to wait and worry and not know anything more about your Dad's condition. I'd push for a earlier follow up if I were you - like 3 weeks, perhaps.
I wish you good news and good luck. Mike
Karl, if you want to have your father tested for hep a,b and c, call request a test 1-888-732-2348 and ask for a hepatitis panel.  Cost is maybe $200 or so.

This will check for hepatitis antibodies produced by the immune sysytem.  This is more accurate than testing for the alt/ast level.

For peace of mind.
My Alt/ SGPT is 63. I was told this was slightly high. My Ast/ SGOT is 36 which is normal I was told. My question is I have been a heavy binge drinker (Weekends) for 15 years. Ocassionally, I get very bloated, but I notice this disappears if I go a couple of weeks without drinking. I am not overweight and workout (weight train and run) often.

According to what I have been told, I am probably OK (No liver damage)
What is considered a high ALT or AST?

Thanks, Please post