Hepatitis C Community
How can i help my liver recover

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

How can i help my liver recover

I
Welcome, this is a patient to patient forum, we are not doctors. There is a GIPA who lokks in and answers questions occasionaly.Hopefully she will see your post and be able to answer some of your questions. There are also many knowledgable people here who may also be able to answer some of your questions. It seems that many people do not post over the weekend, so please check again next week. I sincerely hope that you get some answers. Many of us here have children and grandchildren...so we can relate to your concern in that area. This forum has many posters who are very informative as well as caring. Take care, berlynn
I'm sure you'll hear this alot, but your drinking days are over my friend.
It may be tough, but you'll eventually get over it, hang in there!
also, I stress biopsy. I don't know how often they do them over there, but if possible, get one. It's the only way to tell how much damage has been done and what your prognosis is.     Joni
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do agree....NO alcohol!!!!! I enjoyed drinking also, but quit almost 2 yrs ago, when I found out I have Hep C. I don't miss it one bit! I would suggest you use the archives at the top of the page where you post questions, until someone else may be able to help you. Good Luck and Prayers are with you and your family. Cindee
WOW...3000ml of alcohol? What a party. Sounds like me in my younger days. Thats almost a gallon! Hope you didn't drink the Gin like that. Anyways....you most likely did some damage to your liver there....but if you have been abstaining from ALL alcohol for 3 years....thats not it. Back when you turned yellow you were having an acute hepatitis attack...on your liver. Why is just a guess since you didn't have a test then. If alcohol was the problem it would have healed by now and your levels would have gone down by now.
Here is a definition of your sgpt stuff....We call it ALT.

sGPT (serum Glutamic-Pyruvic Transaminase - ALT)
Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase or ALT (Alanine Aminotransferase) is an enzyme found primarily in the liver but also to a lesser degree, in the heart and other tissues. It is useful in diagnosing liver function more so than sGOT levels. Decreased sGPT in combination with increased cholesterol levels is seen in cases of a congested liver. Increased levels are also seen in mononucleosis, alcoholism, liver damage, kidney infection, chemical pollutants, or myocardial infarction.

Usually the sgot levels are usefull in showing alcohol damage more than the ast. I think you have something else going on. You need to get tested for hep B & C. Those panels should tell you the story there. Beyond that....your drinking days are over until you can get a handle on what's going on unside. Avoid taking any over the counter meds too. Just get those tests and don't take anything that isn't absolutely necessary until the tests are done. Eat right.....no monkey meat or snake or anything odd...and your tests should give you some answers.
Let us know what you find out.

I spent some time in the Phillipines when I was in the Marine Corps. Does Marcos wife still live there? Does she still have all those shoes? Hahahaha  I did have a REAL good time there....except for that Habu I ran across.
Take care........
Maybe I missed something in your post but I did not see anything about a hepatitis C test.  Have you had one?
Before I started treatment I was taking 600mg of milk thistle, 400mg artichoke extract, and 800mg vitamine E every day. My elevated enzymes dropped considerably. It's all in pill form and is simply an alternative treatment that supposedly protects the liver from toxins that cause damage. Remember, no clinical trials and no FDA approval. Really no proof that they work, but it seemed to help with my counts.
TO EVERYONE   WHERE  DO YOU GET MILK THISTLLE? ITS IT HARMFUL?  DEE
HI everyone,
    I have chronic acute hep-B and I would like to share some of the things I've been doing to help my situation.  I've took epivir-one year and it worked great.  But when i stoped takeing the pills the Hep-B came back with full force. I felt helpless.

I did alot of research on hep-b, and I've came to the conclusion that my life style in the past aggrevated my liver and made it work extremely hard.  In my opinion, you should not look at these flare up's as somthing bad.  But take it as a warning that you are hurting your body, so you have to do something to remedy your situation.  

I'll list some of the things i've done to help my liver enzymes to stay normal.
    1) NO Alcohol/ smoking.. big no no.... Your liver metabolizes both substances and you'll creat bad effects on the liver
    2) Try not to push your body too hard... meaning late nights for parties every weekend or day.  I'm not saying never to go out for a good time, just keep it in the back of your mind to pace yourself
    3) Reduce your protein intake such as red meats, chicken...etc
    4) Eat more grean veggies,ie salads.....try to eat them raw you'll get more bang for your buck because there is more engery in raw veggies.  The veggies also help purify your body so it's an added plus.
    5) exercise, walking, light job for about 20 mins
    remember everyone, pills are not the only answer you really have to take care of yourselves.

you can get milkthistle in GNC, or any health food stores
i have hepa B too and this has been 10yrs now... i dont drink alcochol nor smoke... i'm scared doing some test... is there any medicine that u guys can recommend?
I have both hep C & B  and didn't really care until I had my 2 beautiful children. luckily neither one of them tested for either. I haven't done anything for either because I've really had no effects from them as far as I can tell. (Plus no insurance) All you parents can simpathise with that. But for the past 2  months my liver has been throbbing and pinching. any affordable suggestions?