Hepatitis C Community
How can you tell how long you have had Hvc?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

After you  have been diagnosed how can they tell how long you have had it?I read many poeple who say they have had it for 10 yrs 20 yrs etc.Is that 10 and 20 years after they have been initially diagnosed?Or does your liver biopsy tell somewhat because of damage?
If you know or have a rough idea of when you were infected then that would give you an idea of how long you have had the virus.
Otherwise there is no way to know. No, a biopsy won't tell you.
Mike
If you ever injected or snorted drugs,there is a 80% chance you got it this way,if you ever got a tatto or went to a dentist or blood transfusions this is the other way.These are the main ways.
I checked my medical records and estimated from the time that I first showed elevated liver function test results.  That coincided with the time I worked a job that involved my only known risk, as well as some dental surgery.  These are only guesses, but between the risk factors and the LFT results, I believe I was infected in 1979.
I can only speculate on when I think it happened and it is an 8 yr. window. No test to figure it out.
We only guesstimate the dateline by what we were doing when.  Personally I know I did a lot of drug snorting in the mid80s onwards, had major surgery with transfusions in 88 - so although things have gone on since then adding the fact in that I am/was stage 3......figure it must have been at least 20 years. Also blood has been better screened since the early 90s so that basically takes transfusion out of the equation mostly (although there is always a chance for human error).

But no if you never did drugs and never had a needlestick at a job or transfusion before the 90s or gotten a tattoo or piercing ..... - it really is impossible to tell. Just no way to know for sure.
I had an acute case, turned yellow and itched, was followed by a doctor until bilirubin dropped back near normal.  I think a lot of people go by when they had a transfusion or were engaged in behavior that may have resulted in exposure.
Most of just figure the time that we were at the highest risk was when we were infected. For me, it was about 30 years ago. Over those 30 years, I put my liver through hell. My biopsy showed me at only stage 1. Now, I am starting to have my doubts that I was infected when I was at my highest risk. For curiosity, I would like to know but I know that is imposable.