Hepatitis C Community
How much does interferon cost in your country?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello cousins
How much does interferon cost in your country per 180 microgram syrige full? Also how much does Ribavirine cost?
I can't give you the breakdown but my  four week cost of interferon (1800 once a week) and ribavirin (weight-based, 1000mg per day) is about $1900, i.e. about one thousand pounds.
sorry for typo slip, meant 180 interferon a week. you know i'd be long dead on 1800!
   My charges were 1700 us dollars for interferon and 500 us dollars for ribavirin monthly.

But I paid far less with my health insurance otherwise I would not of been able to do it.
I haven't started treatment yet
but here in Sweden it is FREE!
even for me, a US citizen.
Thanks for the info folk. It sure is expensive stuff. I have just finished TX . I am glad to say that my last blood tests were clear. I have to go back in a couple of days for my one month blood test.
I have not worked for nearly a year as I felt so crappy during the tx. But now I am starting to feel better again and the credit crunch is crunching my credit. Any way I have several sealed boxes of interferon pre-filled syringes (180 micrograms) all refrigerated of course. I also have un-opened tubs of Copegus Ribavirine 200mg tabs.
If there anyone who wants save some money and help me out. The alternative is to destroy them and that is such a waste.
What you are proposing is illegal. If you want to help someone, return the meds to your doctor and let him find someone in need.
I was going to return them to the Dr but when they said they would just destroy them I was horrified. That's why I thought someone else might be able to make use of them. It seemed such a waste. I know that some people have to pay loads for them so I thought I could help them out.
I was wondering if that was illegal just after I posted the message. OK Thanks for the warning.
Thanks for your comment. I hope you don't think I was being mercenary about this. I have been through a very bad year. I would rather give this medicine away than see it destroyed. The only reason I thought I might be able to sell it is because I have run out of money and so I thought it might benefit me a bit as well as anyone who wanted to buy it.
I hadn't considered the legal aspect. I just thought it's not an illegal narcotic so it must be fine.
Average costs is 25,000/year.
No such thing as free, SOMEONE is paying.
we all are paying the price.
Yeah, you're right.
I should have said,
free for ME...
Hello people? My sister want to buy one. She is on the edge of death in my country. Please help us, Also I'm not a U.S citizen? how can I get it cheaper?
In the US I have been paying 80$ a month for Pegasus and riba. Ins paid the rest
i am currently using pegasys 180mcg prefilled injections purchased at Rupees fifteen thousand Indian money supplied by Roche.Ribavarin is supplied free of cost
All the Meds that you get for Hep-C are monitered by the CDC -(Federal Govt)
here in the United States and dustributed by Providers and are Federally Regulated !

Here in the U S you can not even give them away !!  
I, had some left and my Nurse accepted them as a donation to my Clinic
to give to people who have no finacial means !

Just some Info to share    You might want to check with another Doctor or hospital
in your country to see what the Regulations are first !!

spider123
I need to know how much in the united states without insurance am I looking at paying for interferon and ribivarin per month
The HCV drugs are pricey; plan on spending around USD $2100/month. If you live in the U.S., and don’t have insurance, the drug manufacturers might help with cost:

Pegassist (Roche Pegasys system): 1-877-734-2797

Commitment to Care (Schering- Plough PEG-Intron system): 1-800-521-7157

--Bill
You poor guys n girls in those countries that make you pay big money, I'm in Australia & just finished my 48wk Interferon+Riba Tx .... The total cost to me was $60.oo ... we are lucky to have the support here in Oz I paid $5 per month & that was only a dispencing fee to the pharmacy ... I wish it was same for you all
Im currently taking one of the new interferon medication .Its a daily injection It's a rough ride dealing with the side effects so any support is appreaicated  You can e- mail me at ***@**** Lets talk support
About as much as say, the Chairman of General Motors or Roche Labs makes in 10 minutes or so.

A real bargain.

:-)

RBW
Republic of Georgia, EURO pegasys 210, Riba is given together with syryng free of charge
sorry Pegasis costr 210 EUROS

in italy it is free, all drugs and doctor visits and blood tests are free for cronic (chronic) illnesses
of course hbv and hcv have full coverage free, also transplants are free, it is all paid by public helathcare like in sweden

as to strangers i don t know from US and Asia but transplants have been made free of any charge for EU citizens from east europe poor countires and if transplant was urgent they got before italians in the list
Americans are being ripped off
the price you are quoted is artificially high , then they make out its cheaper to you cos you have insurance , really the cost per shot should be about 180 us dollars, meaning with insurance you should be paying less than 180
France: Free of charge
Was wondering about all you poor folk who have to pay and can't,
how about the clinical trials??

Some of the new P.I.'s may be worth a try, are those trials free?

I think they would be, i think some places even pay you??

Here in Australia, it's all free, SOC and trials. (no paid trial though)

~Ozgirl
Heppy_UK
YOu were saying that you have several interferon left, and you could give it to somebody who needs it, In Georgia the therapy is so coslty most of the people cannot afford it. A friend of mine, a young guy has a hep c and he is collecting the medicine to start the treatment, he has genotype 3a, he already has some interferon pre filled syringes if you could give him yours it would fill his supply and he would be able to start the treatment, could you please, inform us if you could give us the medicine

Thanks a lot in advance

Treating in Indonesia where I've been living for the last 12 years.... I pay out of pocket,
no insurance or socialized medicine here .

Per shot U.S.$ 250 / Riba is free
PCR RNA - U.S. $220
CBC's - apx . U.S.$ 25 or more, if for example, adding fasting insulin +$20 , TSHs + $20

Estimated , 11 month treatment for G1  = apx. U.S. $15,000

What a way to spend $15,000 savings :((

If it works it will definitely be worth it !

If I was living back in the states , I could not afford it ... however here in Indonesia , the so called doctors do not have much experience with this Tx .... hmmm what a trade off ...

as to asia consider that many contries are about to start genric interferon by government or private producers, vietnam has started and others are following...
i don t remember the cost of generic but it is much much lower for sure.

the price will be falling in the near future anyway both because patent is about to expire and because there will be interferon lambda available or hopefully antivirals combo without interferon use on hcv.hbv has almost no use of interferon so their market will be small
I'm all for passing any left over meds to someone in need profiding they were properly stores.  Man one of the biggest stresses on people is the fact that they can't afford the treatment.  If it was cancer there would be no question about treatment.  We have to do ilegal things if the need arises.  Hooray to the countrys that look after there people.
    In Canada,in the province of British Columbia, for low income people,Tx is free.< $22,000.00 / year. Our health care is administered by each province, but receives federal funding.
   We can thank a left of center politician named Tommy Douglas for our Universal Health Care.
    I pay a small, maximum monthly premium of about $60.00. Can. / US. They are about par these days. The most I have to pay for prescription drugs a year is about $1,300.00. I think. The Gov't pays the rest. Other than that most everything is free. I just finished a clinical trial so all Tx drugs and tests were paid for by the Pharma Co. BMS.         B.C Med, paid for my ferry fair to the city and the trial clinic gave me $50.00 a visit for travel costs.
I am from B.C. and had a real hard time getting treatment and funding for tx.  Even had extended medical and low income..  Unfortunatly I relapsed after tx. and there is no second chance in B.C. from what I've been told
   I have been told one person from B.C. is on his 5th try. Did your Dr. tell you, there is no second chance? and why? That doesn't seem right. I assume you took INF and RBV, only.

There are, ongoing, different, clinical trials, here in B.C.as well as all over the world, that are having very good success rates, as you probably know. Check that out. I think it is going to take a fair bit of time to get these new drugs approved by Health Canada. You may need.something else in the treatment to achieve a SVR. I would be reluctant to do the same thing twice, with all the advances in treatment these days. Do you have a biopsy result?  

Take Care,  Pedro
yes  I was told that retreatment  was not happening unless  it was different drugs.  I am going to check around for a clinical trial.  And no idea what shape my liver is in as they will not do a biopsy on geno 3 even though I figure I have had it for 40 years.  So tired of bashing my head aganinst a rock and a hard place never had a problem with depression during tx but sure had it pre and post tx lol.
   Hi...I feel you could be getting the run around. Do you live in a remote area where good health care might be somewhat lacking?  Visible minority??  I can't think of why they wouldn't give you a biopsy. Platelets low? A bad habit?  I'll try to help you. I'll ask my trial Dr. next week, about your situation, about being a non responder with G 3. He may answer. I know other people who may be able to help.

Take Care, Pedro
why you think that sending interferon is illegal? If someone pays all tax fees on the border, I think it might not be problem; it's legal treatment thing, it's not narcotic. people have to help each other.........
if someone have cheaper interferon than 200 EUROS(for weak), contact me, please. I don't have so much money to buy it in Georgia........
Free drugs from some guy on the internet?  

Really?

Go for it.  Let us know how it works out.
I live in seattle washington and I pay 35 a month with group health insurance. Without Insurance on my box of syringes it says 2,506.00 for 4 syringes that is 180 and on the ribavarin bottle it says 43.00 a month. but total I pay out is 35 for both.
Thanks pedro I would be interested to hear what your Dr. has to say on the subject.  I am not a nonresponder I did clear but relapsed post treatment.  As for my health I am healthy don't smoke do drugs or drink, have been on a bit of a health food kick since finding out I had hep-c.   I was told that being a geno 3 there is no need for a biopsyI just asumed that it was more of a cost saving measure for heath care,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world

Sweden: 59%
Australia: 45%
Italy: 43%
UK: 50%

Gotta love that 'free' treatment.

haha...I was reading a post above about how treatment is free here  in Canada.
Good thing as I pay 50 cents on every dollar I earn...... in taxes to get that  ah  'Free Treatment"

I'm with you on that.  Lol  on the other hand you get what you pay for so it should be free.
easy to cure....detox with wheat grass, barley grass, spirulina, coconut oil & PURE WILD HONEY.......
stop EATING JUNK PROCESSED FOOD with additives, preservatives, coloring, hormone...AND STOP EATING white processed sugar...this feeds the virus......research interferon ill-effects (this is not the answer)
My brother got hepatitis c and the doctor tried to coax him into paying for interferon....after a few weeks of detox.....ALL SYMPTOMS GONE
you mean sir you have interferferon at home???its so expensive I'm a fresh graduate of tourism..then i am afraid to die..my parents dont know something bout this i just got my hbsag result last month and its positiv...i dont have money for treatment i cant even work coz i need to rest...im  a Filipina..from Philippines.
I would be more than happy to take anyones extra interferon as I cant afford the 1100 a month co pay..this country ***** unless you an illegal then you have it made
Sounds like I dont have much insurance where drugs are concerned  I started treatment the 15th .. I checked ever drug store for lowest price my first mont for the inj's were 836.00 that was for 28 days one a week 180 micrograms per inj. The Rib was 329. for 28 days 2 pills a day 400 mg as you can see it was was a lot.  I am in USA nothing cheep here. But where there is a will there is a way. God will get me through it.
bbj
I think I must live in the most expensive country on earth for this treatment. I'm being quoted £80,000 for a 48 week course Ribavirin and Pegylated Interferon. I have heard Bumrungrad hospital offers a 48 week course for £21,000. Has anyone experience of this?

Doofus
hi kaye,

i dont know if  u are still active here, i am a filipina too, i was diagnose hep c reactive last june 10. i went to a doctor to consult everything and i will be back tomorrow to get the result. Are u still under treatment??
Hi nhenki

Looks like kaye's last post was in Dec 2011.

If you would like to ask a new question so everyone is more likely to notice and answer click the orange link on the top right of the page "ask a question" and ask a new question to the group

Good luck
Lynn