Hepatitis C Community
Ibuprophen or acetominaphin?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ibuprophen or acetominaphin?

I'm reading about the dangers of taking too much of both of these pain relievers, but is it OK to take the recommended doses?
The dose is the poison, as it's said in Agriculture.  I did not take NSAID's but was allowed 2 extra strength Tylenols twice a day.  That is 2 grams.  The maximum dose of Tylenol, even for children, is 4 grams, so I felt pretty safe with my doctor's recommendation.  Where people get into trouble is when they also have tylenol in their narcotic pain meds, their cough syrups, etc. and don't even realize how much they are taking in total.
I agree with newleaf, and add that my hepatologist, as I began to experience stage/grade 3/3 liver fibrosis, his recommendation changed.  He said to stop taking anything but tylenol.  He said the risk of kidney damage from NSAIDs, even at low dose, was greater than any potential benefit.

What is okay is 2g acetaminophen daily.  Also tramadol (generic for Ultram) 200mg daily.
Thanks for the info... though I wish it were the other way around since acetaminophen doesn't even touch my head aches.
Hi Diane,

This is from 2004, I think; so the recommendations might have changed slightly… I think the principle remains the same, though. NSAIDS can exacerbate kidney disease, and aspirin can cause platelets to plummet too. I was told to use up to 2500 mg/day Tylenol as needed for pain on treatment, and I had stage 3-4 fibrosis. Here’s the article:

Jorge L. Herrera M.D.
Division of Gastroenterology
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
Mobile AL

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Herrera.html

“Acetaminophen use: Contrary to popular belief, acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol®) is perfectly safe for patients with cirrhosis as long as it is used cautiously. Any person who drinks alcohol regularly should not consume any acetaminophen. For patients with early cirrhosis (CPT class A or B), the use of acetaminophen is safe as long as the recommended dose is not exceeded (1,000 mg per dose, repeated no more often than every 6 hours). Patients with more advanced cirrhosis should take only ½ of the recommended dose. In fact, for patients with cirrhosis, acetaminophen, when used as described, is the preferred medication for the treatment of pain.”

Good luck—

Bill