Is coffee good for your Liver?
My doctor said, "the liver loves coffee."  Not sure how the coffee helps the liver, does anyone here know?  I can't drink much of it anymore.  Tastes awful now.
Judy
never heard that, but would love to know! I love coffee!
There have been a number of studies over the last few years that suggest that coffee supports liver health; I don’t recall method of action off the top of my head. Someone else might jump in with info shortly. My NP at the liver clinic mentioned this to me again two weeks ago when I was in for follow up, Judy; maybe new papers were released on this recently?

Have you ever tried hazelnut creamer? I just recently discovered this stuff (yeah, I live a sheltered life :o)), and it’s like drinking ice cream for breakfast, hehehe! I love it…

Bill
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/search/75?query=coffee+liver+health
maybe it was the coffee that protected me when I was drinking all those years not knowing I had hep c.  I try to down 2 cups or more per day.  And yes hazelnut is lovely.
Judy
Four cups of coffee a day prevented a study group of derelict alcoholics from developing Cirrhosis. They were in a clinical trial of hard core alcoholics with and without coffee.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/06/12/18412.aspx

Magnum
I have read a lot of studies about this and talked to one of the gish team doctors about it who told me there was evidence that 3 cups of coffee a days could help slow down or improve fibrosis. I hate coffee as it makes me feel wired. I tried to drink it for a while but couldn't deal with the effect.
Off the subject sort of, but. I have read that the heart medication losartan may also have fibrosis slowing properties. There was at least one clinical trial about it that seemed to suggest it was true.

http://ihealthbulletin.com/blog/2009/06/02/losartan-prevent-liver-fibrosis-hepatitis-c/

- Dave
i love the hazelnut creamer,  mix it with a hazelnut flavored coffee and use a coffee press and sir, you will be in java heaven.

Yes studies have shown benefits of drinking 2 -3 cups per. But the one study I read said not more then 3 cups per day. Even decaf showed the benefits so it isn't the caffiene that helps, it must be something else with the bean.
I am glad to hear that decaf works also. I'll start drinking it!
Interesting... For some reason I have always thought that we should avoid caffeine, and hence coffee, too.
I drink almost a pot of coffee every morning and I had HCV for 30 years with out knowing it and when I was biopsied I was stage 1 even though I enjoyed beer pretty regularly. I always wondered if the coffee protected me. I heard about the study when I was first diagnosed. My 6 month post treatment PCR was still undetected but I still can't enjoy any kind of alcoholic drink though. I love my liver too much now!

Wow, Bill's link provides various coffee links in one neat package and brings back memories.

It's really worth clicking on it (he did such a smart search, so thanks, kid):

I've only been here for a few of these discussion over the last couple of years, so it's interesting to see that they've gone on forever.

I remember one thing that stuck with me, even thought the studies in favor of coffee abound.

That one thing bugged me and was discussed way too little, in my opinion. It was posted here by a young fellow named GraniteKonig:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Coffee-and-painkillers---for-those-who-dont-know/show/662720

So although there's an abundance  of studies suggesting coffee may be beneficial, I don't know if they take into account that people who are treating are often on painkillers.

Susan, soccer day and wondering what to drink....

(For those who suggest coffee may have minimized their fibrosis over decades, I should add to the mix that I'm not a coffee drinker because I get too wired. Despite not benefiting from it, I didn't have much fibrosis.  So the lack of coffee in my diet didn't negatively affect me, despite having the virus for forty years.)

the old coffee question!

ehm well 3 cups a day yep go for it, but remember cafiene is not good for you, especially on tx, cafiene dehydrates us,
so as with everything moderation is key