Hepatitis C Community
Itching (before tx)

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Itching (before tx)

Hi, I am infected with 1b and did not start with therapy, but will start in 2 weeks. My liver is "ok", I have a grade 2 stage 2 fibrosis only. ALT =150 AST=100. No elevated bilirubin.
What drives me to the wall is a terrible itching. I could scratch my skin away all the day and especially at night. It really makes me crazy!
Is this common? I heard it gets worse under tx???  What helps? Thank you for support!

drofi (from Germany)
Please start NOW drinking extra water and then ALSO putting on a good moisturizer on your skin AT LEAST two times a day.  It will help to hydrate you and make the skin less itchy.

NOTHING worked for me until I started to do this EVERY day.  Make sure you don't stop if the itching stops...or it will come right back again.

I think the moisturizing lotion saved my life...I itched so much I scarred myself even!

Good LUck!
Hi, I am geno 1b shot 38/48 tonight. Many here have had the itching.  At the beginning and until about 2 weeks ago, I did not have the itching.  Now I have these under skin blisters on my arms and legs and MAN< DO THEY ITCH.  Now that I am almost done with tx; I get the crazy insane itching.  

When I first started tx, NYGIRL swore by Gold Bond Extra Strength Body Lotion.  It is in a green bottle with a red cap.  Smells like a medicine stick; but this has worked wonders on these itching little blister.  It has kept me from scratching.  I find if you scratch, they scar and stay around for about 3-4 weeks.  If you leave them alone and with the lotion a couple of times a day, they will just lighten up and disappear.  I know it is not easy to not scratch, but this lotion does help me not to scratch.

Good Luck and try not to get heated it tends to bother the blisters/itch.

ONLY 10 SHOTS LEFT AFTER TONIGHT.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOO

Cajun
i haven't started tx either and i itch. started a month or so ago. glad that you don't have cirohsis. i haven't had biopsy,so i feared it was that,,,good that you know its not from that in your case and makes me feel a little better, although i won't know unless i bx.

i will talk with doc soon and let you know what she finds. did fibrosure test and will be gettiing results, maybe that will give me more of a clue.

hormones get messed up with liver problems, possibly that could cause itch, just guessing though.

i'm hoping its not low grade lymphoma which is seen in some with hepc. that causes itchiness, so that had me a little freaked, but i deceided, i am not going to stress over all this stuff anymore, what will be,will be and why worry when we don't know yet. but yes itching is sooooooooo anoying.
Avatar n tn
Change detergent if you have to everything will seem to irritate you now clothes, bed sheets etc.. Use sensitive skin lotion drink lots of h20. Dont scratch just dab if you know what i mean.  This will stop about 2/3 weeks after your 48th week.  Good luck. Keep the faith.
Drofi didn't start tx yet....his question is concerns itching BEFORE tx.

I think the gray/blue backround makes it difficult sometimes to read posts.
I know what you mean by just dab.  Just enough pressure, but no friction.  Once the skin tears it takes quite awhile for them to heal.  Good Point given to all of us.

Cajun
Itching is not uncommon with hepatitis c and is often seen with fibrosis and cirrhosis.
See this site for some information and possible drugs to try:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:dSlGWKBsCoMJ:www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/pruritus.pdf+itching+hepatitis&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7      
Mike
Maybe you're just itchin' to start.
Avatar n tn
I was prescribed hydroxyzine HCL 25mg for itching and it does seem to help. I notice myselp starting to scratch and go take one and am able to forget about the itching. It's an RX antihistimine. At first it made me drowsey but after about a week I was immune to that symptom of it. Have you tried benedryl ?
Avatar n tn
Do you have a rash at alll? or is it a real deep itch that you couln't possibly dig through your skin to scratch? I had that and found a lot of water helped. Wasn't constant, just a few days at a time. Pre- treatment. Don't have it at all any more.
Thanks, I will follow your advices. It is more a general itching than a localized one. However, if I do not control myself and scratch the skin until it is bleeding, the wounds need several weeks to heal and itch even worse. I have to learn not to hurt myself...
I started to drink mauch more water as a first step, thank you all again!
Drofi
Some people I know smoke dope to relieve some of the symptoms of the itching and it works for them.
Avatar n tn
hi
I have AIH  but when I was diagonosed I had severe itching especially on my arms.I have had some itching off and on since then but not much.  I found baby powder stopped the itching for me.  it's worth a try?
shirl
blondie717 joined this community
Welcome them!
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 26
Track your weight over time