Hepatitis C Community
Low iron on anemia profile
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low iron on anemia profile

My anemia profile just came back.  The doctor had ordered it because I had a low hemoglobin, low RBC's and low neut.  The only abnormal thing that came back on the anemia profile was that I had a really low iron.  This is weird because in the past, like 2 years ago, my iron was always really high.  Of course, 2 years ago, I also wasn't on as high of a dose of interferon either. Maybe the treatment has knocked down my iron, that and the 17 lb weight loss I've had.  Anyway, he wants me to go on Feosol tablets. He does not want to give me the Procrit or the Neupogen.  Any thoughts about this?  Will the iron be safe for my liver?  Susan400
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If you are low in iron then supplementation won't hurt and it should help. Just keep an eye on your level because excess iron does facilitate the hep c virus. Mike
Blank
Generally people with liver disease should not be on supplemental iron UNLESS found to be iron deficient.  So the iron is clearly indicated and I wouldnt hesitate.

Erin
Blank
Dear Erin,
You helped me last week with my stubborn, weird anemia.  I'm still waiting for the 24 week Heptimax results (drawn 8/4) and this Monday's CBC/Chems.
Can you interpret these results (Aug. 11) for me in English?  Iron    43 (L)
FE.Bind-Tot     351
Trans. Sat.    12 (L)
Ferritin     732.0 (H)
I'm trying to figure out whether Iron supplements are good or bad at this point!  The covering doc last week told me to take iron (suggested 120 mg elemental Iron/day); my doc thinks iron supplementation is not called for, but I may take 1 or 2 Fergons/day (@27 mg each) and it "probably wouldn't hurt".
I'm throroughly confused and frustrated; I was just not on top of it when the doc explained this during our few minutes together.
Thanks in advance for your help.  Man Neni
Maj Neni
Blank
With mild iron deficientcy, it probably wont hurt, and may help you anemia.  But listen to your personal doc,,they have all the info in front of them.
Gi.PA
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank