Hepatitis C Community
NEWYORK GIRL help with boosting your immune system

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I read your post about your weak immune system and I was concerned. I have a few important products to recommend which have clinical studies backing them.  I know your reluctance to use supplements but these are the real deal.  The first is a substance from Japan named AHCC ( active hexose correlated compound) which is a medicinal mushroom derivative with 20 or more studies on it (see pubmed.com).  It is used in 500 hospitals in Japan as an adjunct with cancer patients in order to boost their immune systems.  It substantially raises Natural killer cells, interferon levels and t-cells all of which fight bacteria and viral infections.  The second product is Earthrise spirulina.  This blue green algae was shown to raise natural interferon levels 13 -16 x's above normal in the human body according to a University of California at  Davis study.  
I am interested in knowing your history, if you are txing for Hep. C , what is your geno and so on, do you use these and arevyou using vthem alone or with tx. ? Has it helped you and did you test to record the difference ?
sorry for the type errors on my thread
sorry for the type errors on my thread
I just read up alittle about Sprialina, It contains iron which is not verey good for peole who have Hep. C. Can you or some one explain it ?
Spirulina is bascially dehydrated blue-green algae (also known as "pond scum"). Supposedly it is a good source of nutrition, which I believe it probably is. But I've never seen any real evidence that it has any effect on HCV. I took it several years ago when I was actively infected and it had no effect on my labwork (and certainly didn't cure me). Not to say that something may eventually come out of it or other non-traditional methods/substances, but from my experience spirulina is not noticeably helpful with HCV at all.
Any and all helpful advice is appreciated!  Of course, I am afraid of eating "pond scum" but I've sure been called worse than that recently :)

This does sound exactly like what I need.  Today I feel like my hemo is at 9 and I keep almost passing out.  You remember that good ole 9 feeling?  You'd do anything to get rid of it - including eat scum. Pond scum that is.
Hey, give the 'ole pond scum a try. It actually doesn't taste as bad as you might think...not that it's "good" or anything. It just isn't quite as nasty as you might imagine. I remember I used to put it in my oatmeal and it would turn it this pond scum green color. It looked really appetizing. I just convinced myself that it added a nice flavor and wolfed it down...YUM. Then I made protein shakes with it, which was by the far the best way to get it down. Also be careful where you store it, I still have a greenish stain inside my freezer from the stuff.

Let us know how it works out for ya.  ;-)