Hepatitis C Community
Pain medication

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pain medication

I've noticed that some people are taking some medications for pain.  I do understand that it is probably counterproductive to the liver, so are there pain medications that are less toxic to the liver than others?

Wilful1
Most pain medications are a mix of tylenol and oxycdon, or IBProfin and some kind of pain  narcotic. I have been on percocet for a few years, but when they found out I have hep C and started tx and needed more than the 2 a day I used to take the switched me to plain oxycodon, which is the pain reliever in percoset, without the tylenol. My dy said this would not be harmfull to my liver and since I was already taking this sucesfuly to treat my pain it works about the same. I do not know if that helps any.
If you require pain meds your doctor should prescribe meds that are liver friendly.  Lots of OTC stuff is really bad for the liver but there are some that you can take safely, provided you take them in moderation and as directed.
Most of the meds have a version that does not have the tylenol - however if you do need to take the pain meds taking them in emergency is NOT the same thing as taking them regularly every few hours.  It's like anything else moderation is ALRIGHT - just abuse of anything like that will hurt you.