Hepatitis C Community
Positive for Antibody?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Positive for Antibody?

Can someone explain what it means when you test positive for the hepatitis C antibody but not have hepatitis C?
Thank you.
It means that you were exposed to the virus in the past, but your body managed to fight off the infection successfully. About 1 in 5 manage to do so, so count your lucky stars you're negative for the virus. However, as a word of caution, there can be some caveats and pitfalls to your situation. Your best best is to see a hepatologist that is specially trained in treating HCV. Have him or her look you over really good to make sure you're truly no longer actively infected. Also make sure you get follow up viral load tests (called "PCR's") performed about every six months for a few years. This helps to ensure your virus is really gone and that it isn't hiding in your body at a low level (a rare situation, but it can happen). Good luck...
Also I should mention that those that have successfully treated (using Interferon and ribavirin) can also score positive for antibodies but negative for the virus itself. I'm in that situation now - I test strongly positive for HCV antibodies, but my viral load is undetectable. I will with almost 100% certainty remain that way for life (barring reinfection). Hope this helps...
Thanks, that helps a lot.  It's actually my husband who has this situation.  He also has cryptogenic cirrhosis and HCC, so this question never made it to the top of the list with his hepatologist.  He was just approved for a liver transplant.  I saw on this forum the thread about gp's not being able to read this properly.  It was because our gp couldn't figure this out that we got started on the journey to transplant.  Our gp announced that my husband tested positive for hepatitis a, b, & c!   Well that was scary and we have sinced learned that he doesn't have any of these viruses.  With everything else going on I just never asked this particular question.

Thanks very much, and oh, I just got your screen name!
cim: Thanks very much, and oh, I just got your screen name!
-------------
Glad you got to the right doctor finally.

BTW it took a long time for me to figure out what "mremeet" meant. That said, still would like to know who "Et" is and why he wants to marry her.