Hepatitis C Community
Push pin exposure, a risk?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Push pin exposure, a risk?

I posted this question in the HIV forum and received an answer to my question about my HIV risk and it is "no risk". I am still a bit concerned about the Hepatitis exposure because I know Hepatitis can survive longer outside the body than HIV does. The story is this,

I fell and a pin was lodged into my hand. I pulled it out and some blood followed. I went to wash my hand out with some warm water and when I got home I cleaned it out with some Beatadine. I already spoke with my physician and my Tetanus shot is up to date. It is sore to move the hand but I figure it will feel better in a couple of days. The pins are used by a wide variety of people and I am concerned that this may have happened to someone else and they just pulled it out of their skin and put the needle back. The needle was dirty. It had some old paint on it. I am wondering if the HIV and/or Hep C virus survives in this type of pin like it survives in needles. The pin is the type of pin you use to hold stuff down on a bulletin board. I know it's a stretch but I am curious if I should be concerned about this.

Am I at risk for the Hepatitis Virus? (A, B, or C) I appreciate any replies.
The pin is the type of pin you use to hold stuff down on a bulletin board.
-------------------------------------
When no one's looking, I'd take the bulletin board down from the wall and to the local lab and get it tested for Hepatitis C. If the bulletin board is positive, then yes, you might get tested yourself.

-- Jim
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the reply. I threw the pin away after I pulled it out of my hand. How long can the hepatitis virus survive on a push pin?
Thanks again
You are not at any reasonable risk. Forget it and move on. A better way to spend your energies would be to see a doc about your self-admitted germphobe and hypochondriac tendencies.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/Towel-Exposure-/show/701450?personal_page_id=339109&post_id=post_3722938

-- Jim
It is very unlikely that you have been exposed to Hep C from the incident you describe.  Get a test for your peace of mind.

You mentioned in another post that you are a hypochondriac and a germophobe.  I think this is more of a problem for you than any perceived risk from poking you hand on a push pin.  Consider consulting a professional about these fears.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your replies. I won't go see a doctor for my hypochondria or germophobia because it does not effect me enough to interfere with my life. Honestly, I only worry when I have an encounter with blood or something like this situation where an object was lodged in my hand. It doesn't control me to the point where I worry about the doorknob I opened a couple hours ago and what disease I may get. I hope that is understandable. Thanks again
Just recently I was staying at a motel 6 in St. Louis and I myself recieved a needle stick from a staff members name tag that read "clean team"  that was between my sheets. It stuck my lower leg and there was blood that followed when it came out. My concern is that, has he just finished cleaning the toilet or since the employee is part of the clean team what kind of bodily fluids has this person come incontact with. I did indeed make a report with the staff, there was also a report made with the security officer. I then transported my self to the nearest hospital for HIV/HEPC testing. I did this for peace of mind and I am also a nurse, I work very closely with people all day and I want to know that I myself am not putting any of my patients at risk for more complications. So I believe if you have any doubt or concern for your health then just get tested.
fretboard uploaded new photos
May 04
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
May 03
Dee1956 commented on VICourageous's status
May 02
Track your weight over time