Hepatitis C Community
Risk of Hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Risk of Hep c

Does there have to be visible blood to spread hep c?
From the CDC

Transmission / Exposure
How is Hepatitis C spread?
Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.
People can become infected with the Hepatitis C virus during such activities as Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs Needle-stick injuries in health care settings Being born to a mother who has Hepatitis C

Less commonly, a person can also get Hepatitis C virus infection through
Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes Having sexual contact with a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Here is the link

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm

Good luck
Lynn
No, there doesn't have to be visible blood.  Minute amounts not seen by the naked eye may contain bacteria and or viruses.  You can also become infected with Hep C through dental and invasive medical instruments that haven't been sterilized correctly or not at all.  I became infected with Hep C from a dentist I had dental work with in Nashville, TN.  I wish I could remember his name.  :(
I was dx'd with Hep C in 1993.  I had given blood that January and my blood showed positive for Hep C antibodies.  I went to see an internist and over a six month period, I tested positive for Hep C.  I had none of the reasons for being Hep C positive...blood transfusions, IV drug use, etc.  So, with the help of my husband and doctor, we narrowed it down and decided it had to be that one dentist from Nashville.  I had visits with this dentist around 1988 or 1989.  Thank heavens I decided to give blood.  If not, who knows what my health condition would be today.  
I decided to do interferon and Ribavirin (Rebatron Therapy) in 1998.  I found out I was in remission when I went in for my 3 month check up.  Yea!  But I had to finish treatment, which was 52 weeks.  I've had complications from the Rebatron therapy ever since.  The therapy wasn't a fun ride, but I toughed it out.  I didn't quit.  If I had not been taking Paxil to help me mentally, it would have been a much more painful year for me and my family.