Hepatitis C Community
Stevia

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Stevia

In the late 1980s an "anonymous firm" lodged a "trade complaint" with the FDA about Stevia when it started to surface in the United States. One company using stevia was the Celestial Seasonings herbal tea company. They were ordered by the FDA to stop producing tea "adulterated" with Stevia. Traditional Medicinals, another tea company, had their inventory of Stevia teas confiscated during an unexpected FDA raid and were told the tea would be burned.

Why did the government treat Stevia like a controlled substance? FDA documents call Stevia a "dangerous food additive" even though the safety of Stevia has been widely tested for many years by scientists in Japan. The FDA will not reveal who made the "trade complaint" (despite the Freedom of Information Act) though many suspect that it was the makers of the artificial sweetener Aspartame (aka "Nutrasweet") trying to fend off competition, as the artificial sweetener is very profitable.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/3449/1/Naturally-Sweet-and-Healthy---The-Wonders-of-Stevia.html

"This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis."

This is a Hep C forum.  Your post has nothing to do with Hep C, and is of no possible use to anyone seeking help and support for Hep C issues.  Please find someplace else to post your conspiracy theory nonsense.
There is a thread in this forum that relates to stevia and it's effect on lowering Hep C viral load, so although this may not at first appear to be related to this forum I do believe it is.

What I wonder is why the FDA calls stevia a controlled substance as per Rocker's post and yet have approved 'Truvia', which is stevia by another name?  Could it be because Coca-Cola has started using it in their soft drinks?

FDA is  in with big pharma and the commericial food industry...all they care about is money...last thing on there minds is your health...and if ya dont see that ...YOU ARE BLIND.
Stevia/curcumin, INTERESTING
by orleans

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

orleans
Male, 54 years
atlaningham - GA
Member since Nov 2006
Mood: orleans doin' the dirty (peg/riba/alinia)

, Jun 28, 2008 08:19AM
Herbal Product Stevioside Inhibits HCV Replication and Curcumin Suppresses Fibrogenic Cell Activity in Laboratory Studies
Last updated:26June2008

Intro
Stevioside
Curcumin
By Liz Highleyman hivandhepatitis.com

Intro
Given the suboptimal response rate and difficult side effects associated with standard interferon-based therapy for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, many patients have used various alternative and complementary therapies, and researchers have assessed several such agents in laboratory and clinical studies.

At the Digestive Disease Week 2008 conference last month in San Diego, researchers reported on 2 plant-derived therapies that may have the potential to inhibit HCV and improve liver fibrosis.

Top
Stevioside
In the first study, Kazuhisa Yuasa and colleagues assessed the in vitro anti-HCV activity of stevioside, an agent derived from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant that is used as a natural non-caloric sweetener.

Stevioside has been reported to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as an antiviral effect on rotavirus. According to background information provided the investigators, some chronic hepatitis C patients who regularly use stevioside have exhibited decreased HCV RNA or undetectable viral load in the absence of interferon-based therapy.

In the present study, the researchers evaluated the antiviral effect of stevioside on HCV replication using HCV replicon systems. They used ORN/C-5B/KE cells supporting genome-length HCV RNA encoding the luciferase reporter gene, and O cells replicating the genome-length HCV RNA in a real-time transcription polymerase chain reaction analysis.

Both cell systems were exposed to several concentrations of sterilized stevioside. The investigators assessed cytotoxicity, effect on signal transduction pathways, and anti-HCV activity (with and without interferon).

Results
• A diluted solution of stevioside demonstrated no cytotoxicites to either ORN/C-5B/KE cells or O cells.
• In both replicon systems, diluted stevioside suppressed HCV RNA in a dose-dependent manner.
• A 1000 times diluted stevioside solution inhibited HCV replication by about 30%.
• The same solution activated interferon-stimulated response element and 2-5A synthesizing enzyme gene promoter, but not the NF-kappa-?B gene promoter.
• Exposure to stevioside and interferon in combination produced an additive, but not a synergistic antiviral effect.

"We showed [the] anti-HCV effect of stevioside and the additive anti-HCV effect by combination of stevioside with interferon in vitro, and the activation of interferon signal was considered as one of the mechanism[s]," the investigators stated.

Thus, they concluded that, "stevioside is a possible antiviral agent for hepatitis C virus infection," and they plan to conduct a pilot study of the safety and efficacy of stevioside therapy for patients with chronic hepatitis C.

Top
Curcumin
Looking at another herbal therapy, Anping Chen and colleagues presented 3 laboratory studies assessing at the effect of curcumin on hepatic stellate cells.

Curcumin is the main component of the curry spice turmeric, derived from the Curcuma longa plant. Prior research indicates that it has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-tumor properties. Hepatic stellate cells produce extracellular matrix proteins such as collagen that are responsible for liver fibrosis.

In the first study, the investigators found that curcumin promotes peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma) gene expression and suppresses expression of the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol receptor gene, which in turn lowers the level of intracellular cholesterol and thereby reduces the stimulatory effect of LDL on hepatic stellate cell activation.

In the second study, the researchers demonstrated that curcumin diminished the activating effect of oxidized LDL on stellate cells by suppressing LOX-1 gene expression, again via PPAR-gamma activation. Conversely, pre-treating the cells with a PPAR-gamma antagonist (PD68235) eliminated the inhibitory effect of curcumin.

Finally, the investigators showed that by increasing oxidative stress, insulin stimulates hepatic stellate cell proliferation and collagen production. But curcumin suppressed insulin-induced stellate cell activation by interrupting the insulin signaling pathway and reducing oxidative stress, via the same PPAR-gamma mechanism.

Hyperlipidemia (elevated blood lipid levels), obesity, and insulin resistance are features of the metabolic syndrome, which is associated with liver steatosis (accumulation of fat in hepatocytes). Steatosis is linked to fibrosis in individuals with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, as well as those with chronic hepatitis C. Further, steatosis and insulin resistance are factors associated with poor response to interferon-based anti-HCV therapy.

The results of these laboratory studies suggest that curcumin or related agents that work by a similar mechanism might reduce fibrosis associated with hyperlipidemia or insulin resistance in individuals with or without hepatitis C.

6/10/08

References

K Yuasa, K Sato, A Naganuma, and others. Stevioside as a possible antiviral agent for hepatitis C virus infection. Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2008. San Diego, CA. May 17-22, 2008. Abstract S1943.

Q Kang and A Chen. Curcumin suppresses LDL receptor gene expression, leading to the inhibition of cholesterol/LDL-induced hepatic stellate cell activation. Digestive Disease Week (DDW) 2008. San Diego, CA. May 17-22, 2008. Abstract S1584.

Reported Report this Spam
Miscategorized
Abuse
Yawn....
Combat hepatitis. Licorice both protects the liver and promotes healing in this vital organ. The herb's anti-inflammatory properties help calm hepatitis-associated liver inflammation. Licorice also fights the virus commonly responsible for hepatitis and supplies valuable antioxidant compounds that help maintain the overall health of the liver.

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-licorice-root.html

I have used DGL (licorice) for my mild heartburn symptoms over the past couple of years with great success.  I will be starting Hep C TX in 5 days and I've been wondering if I can take it while on TX.  Any input on that?

I know that antacids are a no-no when taking riba so I did buy some of the suggested Pepcid AC to use when I start TX but, since I know the DGL works well for me, I would like to continue taking it unless it's counterproductive to TX.

I'll discuss it with my NP on Friday but it'd be nice to get the input of others on this forum.
All i know is my Doc is against all supplements while on tx,.hes telling me to just eat simple foods..but i know ill be taking stevia in my tea and coffee...i hate sugar.
Funny thing is tho....ne recomends milk thistle. while on tx i dont think they know themselves ,the truth be known....in my opinion they are just playing it safe.
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/news/20021001/chinese-herbs-boost-hepatitis-b-treatment
Licorice(Glycyrrhiza glabra)

Injections of the licorice compound glycyrrhizin are commonly used to treat hepatitis in Japan. The combination of glycyrrhizin and interferon may be more effective than interferon alone.11, 12 Injectable glycyrrhizin is available from some physicians. So far, human studies have not used orally administered licorice extracts in conjunction with interferon

http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1400009.htm

Thymus extract that helps to boost the immune system's T-cells that are produced in the thymus gland helping to fight viral infections. There are protease inhibitors, which keep the Hepatitis C virus from duplicating itself.

http://www.herbcorner.net/articles/art_hepc.html
thats funny,
cause I am still buying the celestial seasoning tea flavoring (called zingers) sweetened with ,,, stevia!

bandman
It probably has stevia leaf in it and not stevia extract. It is allowed as a herb, but 'dangerous' as a sweetener. Do you see the logic???? I don't... That's the whole controversy in the stevia matter. In Japan it has been widely used in sweets for many many years, I think since the late 70ies.

My liquid stevia concentrate is the dark liquid. One uses a few drops. Definitely I would call this a sweetener. It says 'herbal supplement' on it.

So it is allowed and you can use it all you want, but you are not allowed to call it a sweetener.
I use it everyday in my coffee. I use the small packets, one packet per cup. 2 cups per day. Hopefully it is beneficial like the article above and not killing me!
Its very effective as a mouth wash too...it even works on cold sores and stops bleeding gums....The sugar industry dont like stevia....that what im saying...FDA and the commericial food industry are sleeping in bed together...and big pharma is in onot....ITS CALLED .....MONEY
BIG PHARMA IS IN ON IT....THATS What I MEANT...ITS the same deal with stem enhance(blue green algae)....you cant make claims it cures diseases on the pakage or they will lock you up...they know it does cure....but they cant patent it because its a food...it cuts in on there profits
I agree, it is excellent for the mouth. My son had his wisdom tooth growing and had bitten a serious hole into his gums. I dropped some dark liquid stevia on it and it hurt like hell. Half an hour later he asked for more and when he was going home, I had to give him one of my bottles. Now he swears by it.

I have used in on mouth sores before, the kind you get when you brush your teeth and hurt yourself and it healed them in no time.

I am starting to get sore gums and am regularly putting a drop in my mouth. I can also see that I have tiny mouth sores starting up. I will keep putting it on and see if stevia also works on tx mouth sores.

Mouth sores are common on tx...i had very minor cracks in the corner of my lips,i was using tee tree oil at the time...i didnt know stevia worked back then,making no wonder the big pharma is worried....i would be too if i were them...LOL...no one likes to see there money pile shrink....bit i doubt they will be living on Kraft dinner any time soon.
Rocker -
what do you have against people making money?

As long as they are not breaking laws and following regulations, I don't care how much money they make.  Should there be a cap on how much a person can make?

If they are breaking laws, then they should change the laws... I would imagine that the pharmas are some of the most regulated people around.

Are you a socialist?

bandman - a capitalist.
Sad to say...but there is little doubt in my mind that the FDA has an element of corruption.....just like most government agencies.

In my opinion..across the board....less government....more freedom.

btw......this post more likely belongs on the social side.

The government does not serve the people...the American people serve the government.
That doesn't mean that I believe the democrats will do any better but..........
i wont get into politics or religion....im just for the people...i vote for the "green party" here in Canda....we have liberals and conseratives  here as our main two forms of govt...btw....i have nothing against anyone making money,but FDA seems too...why is do they knock stevia and other products that do heal?...and finally give in and say its ok later....hypocrites they are i tell you....
Rockerforlife,

Yep, your a socialist.... why don't you just say it.

I am a capitalist.

Study your history,  socialism, communism never works.  Failures every time

To just blanketly call them hypocrites is ludicrous... how many people do you know that work for the pharms?  How many ceo's do you know?  How many company presidents do you know?  answer - zero, zero, zero.

Lady - if there is problem, run for office, vote, do whatever it takes to change things.

Utopian, free societies never worked either.

I am afraid that the most successful (historically speaking) societies that man can come up with are democracy and capitalism.

When you guys say that you are not getting into politics and then say someone is making too much money, "it cuts in on there profits"you are getting into politics.  But you deceive by saying, we are not getting into politics.... you are promoting your own agenda and it is called socialism.

But you never will come out and say it , will you?

bandman

ps - I use stevia... some company is making a profit from my purchase of stevia.

Are they making too much profit?   Maybe they should share that profit with the people?
Are the people entitled to a companies profit?  Only if they are shareholders.

bandman
"When you guys say that you are not getting into politics and then say someone is making too much money, "it cuts in on there profits"you are getting into politics.  But you deceive by saying, we are not getting into politics.... you are promoting your own agenda and it is called socialism.

But you never will come out and say it , will you?"
--------------------------------------------------
RIGHT ON!!!

jd
"Lady - if there is problem, run for office, vote, do whatever it takes to change things."

I do vote....."run for office"...ain't gonna happen, especially in the midst of tx. I just added my 2 cents...hope that's ok with you, and if not...that's ok too.

That IS still  my right as an American.

...and as a world traveller, I know that being an American is a blessing. I believe people have been blinded and most citizens seem unaware of the many basic rights we have lost...and continues (not JUST because of the current administration), so I am concerned.

...and I am all for Stevia...if I could just remember to pick it up at Trader Joe's...
...and I will say....I am not a socialist, nor a communist...I  defiantly (sic) am into democracy.

Good for you!

"The government does not serve the people...the American people serve the government."

true dat!

I just like for people to be up front, thanks!

bandman
"I just like for people to be up front, thanks!"

Cool...am glad to hear that...and I agree. What I also would like to see is respect for others opinions.
What has blown me away, particularily in the last year, has been the lack of manners in society..the disrespect and the apathy.....
the lack of what was once called civilized behavior.
It truly is a jungle out there........and oftentimes in here. Actually, it's probably safer in the jungle.

Hope you are enjoying the Labor Day weekend...and i mean that.
y

definitely enjoying ldwe!

I definitely respect others opinions,  its just when they give them they need to not veil them in a smoke screen of deception.

I like people to say what they mean.  If they think profit is bad, say so, and explain why.

i think it is pretty civilized in here!

bandman
all I will say is...........stick around.

I remember years ago on the highways and byways of Long Island, there were these yellow smiley faces w/ a slogan stating "Courtesy is Contagious," and my brothers and sisters thought these signs were so silly...today, I don't think they were quite so silly.

FDA  is no up frontabout a lot of things,,stevia is good,thats all im saying....youre making a mountain... outta mole hill....jezz...who cares about politics
maybe those signs should sat hep c is contagious...to get people more aware of this problem...instead of govts sweeping it under the rug.
as the song goes (I think Guns & Roses)...Welcome to the Jungle............