Hepatitis C Community
Supplements for liver repair?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Supplements for liver repair?

What kind of supplements can you take pre SVR or Post SVR that help the liver to repair?
I was told COQ10, was beneficial, my pharmacist said to not take it till after SVR. I know supplements are a touchy subject, I was just curious to any opinions on this.  
Let me rephrase that question: What would be good to add to my diet to maintain and improve liver health and function?
Thanks guys for any imput.
Carolyn
Fresh fruit and vegetables are always a good idea.
And maybe some wholesome nuts too.
Agree with MikeSimon 100% why put things into your body that you are not sure are not going to tax your liver because you have an adverse reaction to them when you can live and eat healthy and hope that you do receive some liver regression?  
I eat organically as possible, I was just wondering, with all this knowledge in here, if anyone knew of anything else I could do besides good food and water to maintain good liver health. You can purchase all kinds of things out there that claim to support and help maintain optimum liver function, I am just skeptical and was hoping for some opinions on this.
What is the condition of your liver?
The liver is able to regenerate itself somewhat if it isn't being abused by what we put into, and onto our bodies and if the damage isn't too bad already.

Those companies that make all of those supplements aren't regulated by anybody so you never know what you are really getting. Your best choice is to live as healthy of a life as possible and only put things into your body that you know aren't toxic to the liver, and trust your body to do what God made it to do... which is to heal itself.

Diane
Well thank you all for your input. I will continue maintaining a healthy lifestyle. In the past ( prior to Tx ) I drank dandelion, licorice & ginger tea, ate special chinese mushrooms with healing qualities took supplements like I'm sure many of us have. Perhaps these forms of healing are not part of western medicine, but I wanted to try everything other than serious chemicals to rid this virus. I am so excited about reaching SVR, I just want to do everything that I can do now and in the future to LOVE MY LIVER!!!
I would also like to add how grateful I am ...no matter how hard each day feels, to be able to recieve this new triple therapy.
It's ironic how getting well makes you soooooo sick!!!
Since CoEnzymeQ10 is something our bodies absorb naturally from food until we reach our 40s, when the body's ability to absorb it declines and since it is necessary for mitochondrial health (the mitochondria in the liver being one of the primary areas that HCV damages), I'd be interested in learning your pharmacist's reasoning.