Hepatitis C Community
Swollen Ankles

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Swollen Ankles

Happy Sunday, everyone. I'm feeling better today than yesterday, you can never tell what's going to happen on these meds, can you? I need some advise for my husband. He has cirrhosis and over the past couple of weeks we have been noticing his ankles are slightly swollen. We watch his sodium intake but is there more we can do to help allieviate this prob?
  Also Scott...do you know of any good sites out there that REALLY tell you about the progression of cirrhosis and what to watch for and their meaning? Top doc thinks he is 5 on the Pugh scale, we know that is good but we need more in depth info about it all. Thanks a million and have a restful day.
thank you for asking this I have not recd results as of yet but my ankles have been swelling for about a year. they actually get to be about twice thier normal size. I had no idea this had anything to do with cirhosis.
I will be interested in the responce as well
IMKindly has THE most excellent site, in my opinion, regarding cirrhosis. She has built an incredibly database of information from a variety of resources.

She also has chats and message borads on the topic.

I put some of her information on the "blog" on the site below my name, including addresses for her sites.

I hope it helps,

thanbey

www.hcop.org
Hi Couch...Was wondering how ya had been doing.. You are so right about never knowing what your good days will be on tx. I guess we just have to plan our days accordingly.  I'm sorry to hear about your husband and know this is much added stress for you.  Of course for swollen ankles...cutting down of salt which you area already doing.  Is he on any prescriptions?  Be sure and check with your dr but maybe some extra vitamin A, zinc, magnesium, nickel, and selenium would help.  Swelling is common in alot of cases with hep c and/or cirrosis (cirrhosis).  You both are in my prayers!
Swollen ankles can be helped by diurectics.  Anyone who has cirrhosis and even slightly swollen ankles will most likely be put on lasix or aldactone by the doctor.
     Imkindly's address is :
  http://forums.delphiforums.com/liverfailure/start
     The new address for the Cirrhosis Support Group homepage is:
     http://groups.msn.com/CirrhosisSupportGroup

There is a notice from imkindly on the old Cirrhosis Support Group forum that the page has moved to this new address.  The note says "All pages at this host (http://expage.com) are now using SPYWARE....They wil NOT remove our Cirrhosis page for me.  I have tried to destroy this page, but it can't be done."  So don't go to the old expage address.
     The Liver Failure Support Group is excellent but can be depressing. However, all the sites Scott listed are more helpful to start for basic information.  

Sorry, I meant revenire's listof cirrhosis sites.
Swollen ankles is also a sign of heart failure, renal failure, and high blood pressure. Does elevating them help the swelling? Are they swollen when you first get up or after a while? Do they swell after eating a heavy meal? This needs to be addressed by your doctor and labs need to be drawn. Good luck.
This is a study on liver cancer (HCC), not on the development of fibrosis from those behaviors.

The researchers have drawn the conclusion that those already with cirrhosis (cause not specified) have XYZ risk of liver cancer beyond the point they now find themselves.

That is the only statement of conclusion being made in this study/abstract.

In my assessment, it doesn't contradict other data regarding lifestyle choices being important components in preventing cirrhosis.

best wishes,

thanbey

www.hcop.org
catherine, what labs should be done to check out the swollen legs...do you know what we should ask our drs for if we have this problem...what exactly are they to check for? anyone know?
If he has swelling he needs to get to a healthcare provider who understands about cirrhosis.  Too much protein can lead confusion and even coma.  An active diurhetic program may need to be started and then limited salt, sugar, and fat in the diet.  Also potassium will have to be kept up. Lack of potassium can cause symptoms similar to too much protein so ongoing tests for those levels is a good idea.  I almost died from ignoring the swelling and lost 47lbs of water in 10 days when treated with diurhetics.  I had been having swelling in my ankles and fingers for years but 2 gastroenterologists just dismissed it by saying  lose weight.  I figure at the time I was already carrying 15 to 20 lbs of water.  My GP who has treated me at little or no cost except for labs because I have no insurance is the one who saved my life.  Don't ignore this!