Hepatitis C Community
Thin skin, chapping question?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Thin skin, chapping question?

Last month I had an ear infection that was cleaned up with antibiotics. Ever since then my ears itch inside. My GP told me to put a drop of mineral oil in them. I've done this and it helps with the itching but I've noticed the skin inside my ears is dry and flaky. Also, my lips are really chapped. This is NO big deal, but I'm kinda wondering since so many people have bad rashes, etc. on tx maybe where the skin is thinest, the tx causes problems?
I'm surprised, too, at this little ear phenomenon. I don't have much in the way of dry skin problems on tx, unlike many others but the one weird thing I have is flaking, quite far into the ear. It's like I want to peel the skin in there and unfortunately the temptation is so great, I peel more than I should.

If I remember correctly, Marc said an Eyes, Ears, Nose and Throat specialist recommended glycerin. I did buy that and use it. I think it helps but the problem doesn't go away.

In fact, just talking about it makes me want to really dig in there. :)
You are too funny! My husband seems to think its affecting skin where it is the thinnest such as ears and lips. Normally off tx I have very sensitive skin, so I am very pleased that I haven't had the dreaded rash yet. The mineral oil helps with the itch, but have to use it once or twice a day or I'm poking around in there again!

Thanks Portann, I thought it was just me.
Kathy
Can you imagine what our husbands would think if tx had turned us into nose-pickers instead of ear-pickers?
Now you have me laughing out loud! My husband got a new application for his I-Phone yesterday which makes various fart sounds. He just had to try out them all!
Kathy
omg... that's what happened to me during tx... not the ear picking, but the booger picking

Kathy
What's the fart app for iphone? I want it! Can you please find out where he got it, I want to bug my kids with it, when we sit at a café or restaurant... It's payback time, we get to embarrass our kids now that they are grown up.
Go Marcia go! I might need it myself (but to payback the DH--my children are often better behaved).
I'm having ear problems also!

I have never had an ear ache or even noticed my ears before.  Now they are iching.  Sometimes draining and the skin inside my ears is also dry and flaky.  It's all I can do to not touch them.
I've e-mailed my husband to see where he got that fart app. I think he got it off i-tunes.

YuK: Try the mineral oil. Just a drop off a q-tip in each one seems to relieve the itching. Doesn't seem to cure it though.
thanks Kathy I'll give the mineral oil a try.

But.... I think I figured it out, the draining is brain fluid which is why I have brain fog.  ;)