Hepatitis C Community
Understanding Lab Result of my mom.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Understanding Lab Result of my mom.

Do u have any idea about Anti-HCV (CMIA) 11.7 Reactive result via C.O.V 1.000 reference guide

Thanks a lot
What does your doctor say? Your doctor is best equiped to diagnos any medical condition you may have and answer your questions
That means there is a strong antibody reaction which tells you that she is positive for the antibody and it is likely a valid result. She needs an HCV/RNA by PCR ( viral load test) to see if she has the actual virus and not just the antibody from exposure.
I am posting this here, in case I say something wrong about the medical information, someone else can catch it and correct the info (and me).  I will PM.

IF I understand correctly, and, mind you, as I said before, I am not a Dr or even in the medical profession, but a patient like you, the ELISA is a measure of hepc antibodies AND the Anti-HCV (CMIA) is a MORE SENSETIVE VERSION of the same test.  It is measuring HepC Antibodies ONLY.

IF I am correct in that, then it does not matter WHAT the numbers are, you will always have the antibodies, just like when you get a measles, or small pox vaccine.  There are always antibodies present.  That is how it works, so please quit stressing.  THESE antibodies, unlike the vaccines, DO NOT protect you from reinfection.

As AWM says, you need the HCV RNA PCR (Quantative) as we discussed, earlier.

Again, I think you should wait until 6 months from date of the needle stick, but, again, that is a personal choice and I understand that your are stressing big-time.  If you test @3 weeks post stick, consider, at some later date, when you have the time and Ins, retesting on the HCV RNA PCR just to be doubly sure.

Take a very deep breath, exhale, and relax.  It is all right.

Good luck.  Pat
Your info is spot on. The only thing you said that is not a fact is that another PCR is needed at 6 months.
Hi, thanks for the back up, but just to clarify, I was just recommending she have another AFTER 6+ months, IF she goes ahead, as she plans, and has one between 2 and 3'weeks.  I KNOW from what the CDC recommends, that by 3 or so weeks, the RNA PCR should give accurate information.

I am just paranoid about a test THAT soon, wapecially in a Young Woman (which she is), as, from reading on here, that parameter is the very group who have the best chance of fighting the virus off, within the first 6 months or so.  That is why I always recommend waiting until the 6 mo for the RNA PCR test, or to repeat it at some future dat, just to make sure her body hasn't done the work itself.

If I am wrong, and the 3 weeks IS a sufficient score, please let me know so I can quit telling people to wait for 6 mo.

Also,thanks for all you do, not only helping us get correct info on here, but in advocating for heppers everywhere!  What a great calling and how well you do it!!

Thanks, as always.  Pat
Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate that. It is my understanding that a PCR test done at two weeks is accurate. Yes, some people can fight off the virus but I don't understand how repeating the test later, or waiting til six months adds any information. If a person is undetected at 2 weeks, or doesn't get an undetected until 6 months, he is still undetected and we don't really know if he fought it off or it was a false positive on his antibody test. Waiting six months will not tell you if he fought it off.
Oops, forgot to add......your advice to wait six months is perfect for the antibody test.
Yes, but if it came back positive, and the body was still fighting, if it were me, I would want to know what the viral load was after the time frame set out that says the body usually succeeds in overcoming the virus on its own.

If it is negative, then there would be no need to go further, but I would truly rather be retested. --  or wait til 6 months to be tested at all  -- than to go on tx because I was positive, when the body had done it's job and somewhere between the positive 2 to 3 week test and 6 months.

That is why I recomended waiting.

Also, thanks for the info on the RNA PCR test being valid at 2 weeks.

Have a great evening!   Pat