Hepatitis C Community
Weakly Reactive and indeterminate results HELP!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help?

7 months ago a friend cut herself when she was drunk and I ended up with her blood on my face. I waited over the 6 month window period and went for routine blood tests at a NHS clinic. I was really shocked when my Hep C result came back as 'weakly reactive'. They told me that that further investigations would be needed and that I would have to wait for other tests to be done.

I went to another NHS clinic that day and spoke to someone there who was reassuring and said that the majority of 'weakly reactive' test results are usually confirmed as being Hep C negative in the end. They did the another Hep C ab test but they said they couldn't give me the result for another week.

I felt myself getting more and more anxious and the following day I went to a private clinic and paid for a 'same-day' Hep C antibody test. They called me later that day and said that the result was also 'weakly reactive' (at 2.2 and 2.3 when they tested it a second time).

6 Days later the private clinic called again and said that the RIBA test they had done was 'indeterminate' but that it didn't represent a normal reading for someone who is Hep C+ where more than 3 of the 6 markers are reactive. I had only 1 and the doctor I spoke to said that this marker is a very non-specific one. They said they would do a PCR/RNA but this would take at least another 5 days.

The next day, the second NHS clinic texted me as they said they would 'All results negative'!!!!!???????
I called and spoke to nurse at that clinic and confirmed that their Hep C ab test for me was negative which she said it definitely was.

So I'm very confused. I'm still waiting for confirmatory results from 1st NHS clinic I went to and also for the PCR/RNA result from private clinic.

However, is it possible that I can be Hep C+ even though one clinic has tested me negative for Hep C antibodies and my risk for getting Hep C was more than 7 months ago??

Any support is greatly welcomed

" I ended up with her blood on my face".  

HCV is transmitted by blood to blood contact only.  Infected blood MUST enter the bloodstream, not just surface contact.  Unless you had open sores on your face, I doubt this was a mode of transmission.  Firstly, your drunk friend had to be HCV positive.  Did you ask her?  Secondly, I doubt you have HCV but in event you do I suspect your friend was not responsible.

An HCV RNA by PCR will put all this uncertainty to rest.  I mean really, you have to get a grip, nothing you can do if you are positive and what's another few weeks in big scheme of things.

Trinity  
Hi Trinity

Well thanks for your response.... "I mean really, you have to get a grip..." Very Carl Rogers!

Ok well my friend has never tested for HCV (yes I did ask her). Secondly even if she had transmitted it to me I'm not looking to blame her or hold her responsible. I just want to know if I have HCV or not.

I posted the question just to see if anyone had experience of these types of results. Ok I am anxious but v rational (I have a grip!). The situation is anxiety-provoking and most people would feel that way I reckon. It can be difficult waiting for results Trinity.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though.

GoTh

Well hepc not so much but you could have gotten something else that was more contagious possibly (hepA, HIV) so you should get tested for the lot of them.  We can't possibly know what you could be infected with. If you were infected with hepc - it probably was not your drunk friend who did it but 78% of all infected people do not know that they are.................that means only 12% of all heppers know that they have it. Scary stuff.
Thanks nygirl7. I'm vaccinated against Hep A and B and tested negative for HIV at the same time as testing for Hep C. Hopefully the PCR result will be available soon and I'll know for sure. Thanks.
hcv can't be transmitted by blood to skin contact but blood to blood.
from the results of your tests seems to me you are HCV negative
Thanks GFRY