Hepatitis C Community
What is the correct dosage of vit D to help with dep.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Well, I almost asked my whole question in the title of my post.  Seriously, I have started taking 1000 mg of vit. D and 1000 mg. of B12, 100 mg. B6 and folic acid, as well as, various and sundry other vits plus a multiple.  Any advise on adjusting dosage to help with depression and fatigue?  Am I doing overkill here? Can't think real straight these days plus hgb is still just 10.1.  Never been much of a red meat eater but PA said it would not matter anyway since TX is killing the red cells as fast as they make.  Been eating lost of iron rich food but doesn't seem to matter no iron supls. and no procrit on study.  Looks like I got off the vit. D question.  All advise appreciated.
Thanks,
Sherri
Ask you doctor to order a ‘vitamin D hydoroxy25’ test. Once the results of this test are in, the doctor can determine how much you require. I take 5000 units/day, but started at 2000. I don’t think there’s any other way to know, really.

-Bill

As far as the Vit.D , as Bill suggested there is no way to know what your level currently is and how much you should supplement without the test. Mine was a little low before starting tx(very oftenit, is with HCV) and my doc suggested 3000  units/pr day while I treated.
Also sherri ,as .far as the fatigue and depression,has your thyroid been monitored during treatment as .sometimes the meds can play havoc with the levels and numerous symptoms can be attributed to that.If it is hypo .the med to help that I believe is allowed in most studies.

Just a couple of ideas...

WILL
Good thought about thyroid, Will..
Sherri,

Iron isn't going to help your brand of anemia as it's not due to iron deficiency, it's what's called hemolytic anemia and caused by the medication, not low iron. Therefore eating red meat isn't going to change anything either.  

Folic acid is worth a shot though only helps in 20% of those taking it. My hepatologist had me taking both Folic acid and B12 when my hgb dropped  Fatigue is common with low hemoglobin and yours at 10.1 is low.  You might be better off accepting that this is how it's going to be and resting up where you can and conserve your energy for the most important things.  I don't know how bad your fatigue is but I know I had to rest up on weekends so that I could keep working during the week and on evenings where necessary.  

They don't deny you meds for thyroid during trials, it has to be treated.  It doesn't interfere with trial or treatment drugs.  It's worth getting tested for this as thyroid issues come up for about 20% of people on treatment if I recall that number correctly.  

Fatigue can really get you down but just remember, it's not going to be like this forever, sherri.  Hang in there.

Trish

Exact and very good thoughts will.
I was taking 1400 IU of vit D.  Got my levels tested and was only at 17.  A year later after taking 5400 IU my Vit D is at 58.  Get your D & B checked.  Not sure about the other vitamins.
My doc tested and found my Vit D deficient  (15) so I took 10,000 IU a week by prescription for a month - since then I had been taking between 2000-4000 a day but a little inconsistently.  Now that I'm in tx, I am taking 3000 per day.  I'm also taking a sub-lingual B-12, B-6, Folic Acid combo in hopes to keep my levels up since no rescue drugs in our study.  Definitely get the D test - almost everyone could use more than they think.
Brain fog definitely had set in last night (not that it's much better this morning).  To correct myself, my doctor prescribed 50,000 IU of Vit D in a one pill weekly dose - but like everyone said, the test is necessary.  I now take 4000-6000 IU daily.  The fear of Vitamin D toxicty is over-exaggerated (some research shows it takes chronic daily intake of 40,000 IU for toxic reactions).  I have been taking it pretty regularly for several years and haven't caught colds or URI's like my co-workers and stay much healthier than most people I know.  I don't know how much it does for my depression since I am on Welbutrin XL too. The sub-lingual B-12/B-6/Folate that I take is made by Unique- just one a day right now.  I hardly eat meat at all and it is especially non-appealing right now so I am trying to do everything that I can to keep my blood counts up since we are limited in treatment options with our study.  I don't know how much any of this is helping me with my blood stats because I don't think I've been in tx long enough for the big issues to manifest.  Man, that brain fog is a ***** the last few days though.  Any remedy for that?
Just got some new lab results 4,000 iu/day vit D supplements brought my 25-Hydroxy total from 20 ng/ml up to 33 ng/ml.
AST 21/ALT 22---same as tx end numbers
pcr--undy (3 year post).
HGB still high 17.4 (pre tx was @ 18)
Iron is low @ 40 ug/dl
Ferritin @ 67
everything else--normal.