What is the difference??
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between compensated cirrhosis and uncompensated? I keep coming across these two terms but cannot figure out what the diifference is. Thanks to all of you who are so knowledgeable and who take the time to help us newbies understand all that is happening to us. I have hepc geno type1 with cirrhosis. I soon have an appt. with the doc and plan on having him try and explain just what I have and what it all means. God bless and keep fighting!!!
My understanding is that with cirrhosis your liver will still function fairly well (as seen on a liver function lab panel.)That is "compensating". A "decompensating" liver is when those liver functions, such as proteins, albumin, bilirubin production are effected. I would take a look at the Janis and friends Hep C site online. They offer a wealth of information. Good luck.
Compensated cirrhosis is before you have any symptoms like ascites, esophageal(sp) bleeding,etc. that signal liver failure. After my liver failed and I txed w/ prednisone, and various drugs to tx. symptoms, changed my diet and quit drinking, I was considered by my Dr. to have "barely compensated" cirrhosis.  Joni
Thanks whoaisme,
    For some reason I could not figure out what that meant. Your explanation makes sense to me.
Hi Joni,
   Sorry to hear you are so advanced. I noticed a purpilish colored "rash" on my belly, right above my bellybutton and I'm wondering if this is the spider amanginoma that I have read about. I also have swelling in my right leg and my abdomen that seems to be helped by the blood pressure meds the doc gave me. The last couple of years have been hell because of an h-prylori infection I had to battle. I did take antibiotics for it and it seemed like it took forever for me to feel better (severe belching and feeling like something was blowing up inside me) but I finally feel like I have it under control. Have to watch what I eat and all of that. I will start my meds this coming weds,(12). Am scared to take that first shot but will take it all the same. I wish everyone here all the best and will keep you all in my prayers...take care of yourselves...you are worth it!!!
You will do fine on Wednesday....I think sometimes anticipating that shot can be more of a pain then the actual shot...LOL  Good Luck and let us know how you are doing..