I have an ear infection and the doctor I went to said That I should stop taking the shot and pills until the infection is cleared up. I am on week 12 of 24, stage 4, type 2. I couldn't beleive it when she said that. They have paged my GI to see what he thinks. Has anyone else had to take antibiotics on treatment?
I am really upset that they might want to take me off.
I just completed a round of Augmenten because of an infection around a tooth. My dentist called my GI prior to prescribing it and got the ok. I am currently at week 12/48 of Peg_Intron and riba. :) Go for my 12 week labs tomorrow! Anxious...
I was very prone to infections prior to starting my 48 week treatment (due to virus I suspect) and was very concerned IF I got an infection while on treatment what my gastro doctor would do. He said he would NOT HESITATE to give me the proper antibiotics and keep me on treatment which put my mind at great ease to start treatment. I would question this decision you have been told as others have mentioned. Possibly call the drug company's drug patient support line (Roche or Schering-Plough)depending on what you are on and discuss this with thier on-call nurse to see what they "officially" recommend regarding antibiotics.)You can find the pnone number on your drug information pamphlets that accompany your drugs from the pharmaceutical company. What is your White Blood Count? This may have a bearing on why the doctor would take you off treatment until the infection clears. I would not want to stop treatment especially at your critical time of 12 weeks. Fight for staying on the treatment..you don't want to start this over. Good luck to you and I'll be hoping your infection takes a turn for the better immediately.
I had infections and went 2 full rounds of antibiotics. It did not clear up, so I went off the interferon for a only week, and everything disappeared But, the doc was willing to treat me to see if things would clear before we skipped a shot. I would try antibiotics first, and only withhold tx as a very last resort..
Hey thanks for all the comments. They did give me the antibiotics and said they would call if I am to stop treatment. But no way no how am I going to stop treatment. I am sure my GI told them it was Ok to take the antibiotics. My wbc is 2.9 at week 8 I am do for my 12 week blood work monday. I am so excited. thanks everyone
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.