Hepatitis C Community
antibiotics on treatment?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

antibiotics on treatment?

I have an ear infection and the doctor I went to said That I should stop taking the shot and pills until the infection is cleared up. I am on week 12 of 24, stage 4, type 2. I couldn't beleive it when she said that. They have paged my GI to see what he thinks. Has anyone else had to take antibiotics on treatment?
I am really upset that they might want to take me off.
I took antibiotics on tx twice, they didn't take me off tx.

Monte
I just completed a round of Augmenten because of an infection around a tooth.  My dentist called my GI prior to prescribing it and got the ok.  I am currently at week 12/48 of Peg_Intron and riba.  :)  Go for my 12 week labs tomorrow!  Anxious...
I'm on an antibiotic right now for a bacterial eye infection.  I just took shot #10/48 and would not stop treatment right now for anything (i don't think).
<3michelle
I took antibiotics for UTIs on a regular basis, no one told me to stop the meds. I would question that suggestion.
I was very prone to infections prior to starting my 48 week treatment (due to virus I suspect) and was very concerned IF I got an infection while on treatment what my gastro doctor would do.  He said he would NOT HESITATE to give me the proper antibiotics and keep me on treatment which put my mind at great ease to start treatment.  I would question this decision you have been told as others have mentioned. Possibly call the drug company's drug patient support line (Roche or Schering-Plough)depending on what you are on and discuss this with thier on-call nurse to see what they "officially" recommend regarding antibiotics.)You can find the pnone number on your drug information pamphlets that accompany your drugs from the pharmaceutical company.  What is your White Blood Count?  This may have a bearing on why the doctor would take you off treatment until the infection clears.  I would not want to stop treatment especially at your critical time of 12 weeks.  Fight for staying on the treatment..you don't want to start this over. Good luck to you and I'll be hoping your infection takes a turn for the better immediately.
Scott
I had infections and went 2 full rounds of antibiotics.  It did not clear up, so I went off the interferon for a only week, and everything disappeared  But, the doc was willing to treat me to see if things would clear before we skipped a shot.  I would try antibiotics first, and only withhold tx as a very last resort..
good luck
Hey thanks for all the comments. They did give me the antibiotics and said they would call if I am to stop treatment. But no way no how am I going to stop treatment. I am sure my GI told them it was Ok to take the antibiotics. My wbc is 2.9 at week 8 I am do for my 12 week blood work monday. I am so excited.   thanks everyone