Hepatitis C Community
boyfriend has Hep c ,i have some questions

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

please help me, i have just started dating a man who has told me he has Hep C.  i myself have herpes. i have read that it is realtively hard to catch the disease through sex especially with monogomous couples. however i would imagine that having herpes increases my risk?
can anyone give me some advice, and if anyone is reading this who is with an infected person any support would be welcomed.

welcome. i can only guess that if you had open lesions,
that would definitely increase your risk of transmission. i have read that it is easier for a woman to get hcv from a man than vice versa. my hubby and i have been together for 9 yrs and he is neg, so are my 4 kids. i obviously avoid intercourse during risky times of the month. best of luck and keep checking back in. i am sure someone here has more knowledge than myself. good luck!
Many people here don't even find out they have hep until they are in 40's and 50's and by that time,,,they have had for a good 20 to 30 years. Many here are married and for the most part,,their spouses and children are negative. But with the herpes issue also,,,if me,,,,I would always use protection to be on safe side. The fact is,,,,,that you are aware so you should be cautious.
i was married 32 years had two kids and am the only one infected.
Thank you all for your comments,
I will definately use protection, however if we were to stay together and eventually have kids, i won't always be using protection.  would i be ok to have unprotected sex if i am careful not to have it during an outbreak?
Also wouldn't he have to have an open lesion to pass it on to me??  my understanding is that you cannot get it from the sperm or fluids, and that it has to come from the blood. so isn't it less likely for a man's penis to have open wounds?
I really like this person, but i am also afraid.
thanks guys,

Star
CONCLUSIONS. The findings support the role of herpes simplex virus-2 in the heterosexual transmission of hepatitis C virus infections, and more specifically an increase in susceptibility to hepatitis C virus infections in exposed heterosexual partners with antibodies to herpes simplex virus-2.

Yes, he would have to have some type of lesion. The risk of contracting HCV through sex is very small, still a risk remains.

You are both aware of the situation and will do fine keeping your diseases to yourself! In a study done on thousands of monogamous couples for a decade, not one HepC negative partner was infected by a positive partner. If you already are used to managing your herpes, you will be fine.
I don't know where your mate is at with liver damage or if he has treated or anything, but if he does treat the illness, then you can not attempt to get pregnant during or anywhere near the time he is treating. You have to wait 6 months after he finishes treating to become pregnant.
The question of the role of herpes and HCV transmission always interested me.

We know herpes can be transmitted without an outbreak of herpes. No sores have to be present. I would assume the risk of HCV transmission with open herpes sores is obviously there although how high is anyone's guess as I can't find any studies on it.

it's obvious that there would be a higher risk, but i would think the partner would have to have an open wound too in order to give it you right?  and that is not that common unless he too had Herpes
do you know of anyone who has gotten hep c from having sex?
have you heard of these studies that were mentioned in this talk ealier? where thousands of people were documented as having partners who were infected and none of them were infected.
i would like to know more about this
thanks,
star
help  ihave just found out that a woman i have known for yrs  likes me as much as i like her   as a matter of fact i think i have loved her for yrs and didnt know it and i just found out she feels the same way  unfortunately i have been diagnosed with hep c and dont know wht to tell her   i also dont want to in fect her  plz help