Hepatitis C Community
can some one give me a answer

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

can some one give me a answer

hi i have just fell preganant and my partner has just started takeing copegus tablets 3 daya ago and staretd the pagasys jag 1day ago will my unborn baby be harmed ? and it was round about then time i fell pregnant
I'm unfamiliar with these drugs, but what the male takes usually have less effect. Because if there is anything wrong with the sperm it usually can't compete with the other ones enough to fertilize an egg. Also because sperm can live up to a week, it's quite probable that whatever fertilized the egg was swimming around before he started to take these tablets.

However, I just looked up the drugs on google and they're do do with hepatitis? I'm unsure how this disease effects male production of sperm. I know that a women with blood borne illnesses can sometimes spread it to her unborn child or cause a problem with her unborn child (like a miscarriage) so I suggest you talk to your OB asap. Make sure you don't have hepatitis and talk to them about what you can do to guarantee a safe pregnancy if you do.
I wish I had better news for you. The following is from the National Institute of Health website:

For male patients:

Do not take ribavirin if your partner is pregnant or plans to become pregnant. If you have a partner who can become pregnant, you should not start taking ribavirin until a pregnancy test shows that she is not pregnant. You must use two forms of birth control, including a condom with spermicide during your treatment and for 6 months afterward. Your partner must be tested for pregnancy every month during this time. Call your doctor immediately if your partner becomes pregnant. Ribavirin may cause harm or death to the fetus.
Hi Dannie: The timing of these events are important. Based on the information you provided, I'm thinking fertilization occurred before your partner started treatment. Don't stess & don't lose sleep. Do expeditiously meet with your partner's hep-c treatment provider to discuss this. GB
First, you said your partner started the Copegus 3 days ago, and the injections 1 day ago. Then you say it is around the time your fell pregnant. (or maybe you meant felt pregnant)

How do you know you got pregnant 3 days ago?  Or, if you meant felt pregnant, then you would have been pregnant prior to 3 days ago. Have you done a pregnancy test to determine if you are pregnant? Most pregnancy tests cannot detect a pregnancy until at least 6 days after conception (so conception would have been before your partner started taking Copegus).

"Not all pregnancy tests are created equal. The more sensitive the test (the smaller amount of hCG it can detect), the earlier the opportunity to detect pregnancy. That means with a test sensitive to 20 mIU/ml hCG, a home pregnancy test is accurate as early as six to eight days after conception,"

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/home-pregnancy-tests-and-hcg

I would discuss this with your doctor as soon as possible.

In addition, you MUST use protection (2 forms) if and when you are having sexual relations with your partner. This is in the first warning alert on the Copegus info sheet.

WARNING: RISK OF SERIOUS DISORDERS AND RIBAVIRIN-ASSOCIATED EFFECTS

"Significant teratogenic and/or embryocidal effects have been demonstrated in all animal species exposed to ribavirin. In addition, ribavirin has a multiple dose half-life of 12 days, and it may persist in non-plasma compartments for as long as 6 months. Therefore, ribavirin, including Copegus, is contraindicated in women who are pregnant and in the male partners of women who are pregnant. Extreme care must be taken to avoid pregnancy during therapy and for 6 months after completion of therapy in both female patients and in female partners of male patients who are taking ribavirin therapy. At least two reliable forms of effective contraception must be utilized during treatment and during the 6-month post treatment follow-up period [see Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and Use in Specific Populations (8.1)]."

http://www.drugs.com/pro/copegus.html

"Pregnancy

Copegus may cause birth defects and/or death of the exposed fetus. Ribavirin has demonstrated significant teratogenic and/or embryocidal effects in all animal species in which adequate studies have been conducted. These effects occurred at doses as low as one twentieth of the recommended human dose of ribavirin.

Copegus therapy should not be started unless a report of a negative pregnancy test has been obtained immediately prior to planned initiation of therapy. Extreme care must be taken to avoid pregnancy in female patients and in female partners of male patients. Patients should be instructed to use at least two forms of effective contraception during treatment and for 6 months after treatment has been stopped. Pregnancy testing should occur monthly during Copegus therapy and for 6 months after therapy has stopped [see Boxed Warning, Contraindications (4), Use in Specific Populations (8.1), and Patient Counseling Information (17)]."

I would have thought that the doctor would have instructed both your partner and you about this problem and would have specifially instructed him and you about using 2 forms of contraception and also avoiding pregnancy.

Again, if you are pregnant discuss this with your doctor (and your partner's doctor) right away. In fact, discuss it with them anyway, whether you know you are pregnant or not. Those doctors need to properly educate both of you about this problem and the consequences of not following instructions and warnings.  If you do have sexual relations, use at least two forms of reliable contraception. This is exceptionally important to prevent birth defects in the fetus.

I hope things work out for you and I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. At this point, it's probably best to not have sex until you and your partner discuss this with his physician.