Hepatitis C Community
children

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

children

i have a new roommate moving in , she just informed me she has hep c. should i worry about sharing my home? i have 2 childen and what should i do , are we in any danger?
The only way for you or your children to get Hep C is blood to blood contact. As long as you don't share toothbrushes or shavers, you should be very safe. I would make very sure that she understands the risks and that you are serious about not sharing.  My husband tested negative after I was diagnosed (dx.) and many others on here who have spouses and S.O.'s have not passed it on. It might be a good idea to show your room mate this web-site as it is very valuable to those of us w/ this virus. Both for info and support.   Joni
Also, when I was still infected, I kept surgical gloves in the house so that if I cut myself and needed my husbands help, he could wear them to be safe. Never did have to use them, but still think it's a good idea.  Joni
Many people are infected with HCV and it's not easily transmitted. While my husband and I don't share toothbrushes we have occasionally shared a razor when traveling. (We don't any longer due to dx of HCV). We have had unprotected sex for many years, (still do) and share foods, drinks, etc. The same goes with my daughter who is 23. I have had HCV since before I knew either of them and gave a difficult birth to my daugher. Neither of them has HCV. It's not transferred very easily. Since it's a blood to blood disease both people need to be exposed, for example if you bleed onto someone that wouldn't do it, the other person would need to have an open wound receiving blood into blood. In the example of a razor the person using it would have to cut themselves leaving blood on the razor then the other person would have to cut themselves with the same razor to get blood into them. There is so much info on HCV on websites you can easily educate yourself and I beleive come out comfortable with having this person live with you. If you have any other question please feel free to ask here. We are all pretty educated on HCV and everyone is very helpful. I understand your concern and hope as you learn you will realize you are not endangering your family. LL