Hepatitis C Community
drinking blood

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

drinking blood

can you get hepatitis c by drinking blood
yes, most vampires have HCV :)

seriously ....NO you can not. Stomach acids will kill virus. The only way would be if you had cuts in mouth and even that would be remote possibility.

Actually most vampires can tell when blood is tainted and wont drink it.  I saw this on TrueBlood a few seasons back. I guess since we all have the antibodies still we'd be safe :D

Seriously Copy the world is getting spookier and spookier isn't it?
I would say yes ..as guster points out...damaged gums, cuts in the mouth etc.
never read a study that said it could or couldn"t ....imagine tough to get volunteers

I suggest getting tested (if you did that) and possibly stop doing it.
I suggest you stop drinking blood too - HCV should be the least of your worries here.
  Yes it is possible through means already pointed out by others.
I know I am going to regret this but I’ll be the first to take the bait, why are you drinking blood?
Tip: Don't drink blood!
Try water or milk or some other friendly beverage.

;-)
Hector
ROFL!!! Thanks guys, I needed a good laugh!  Seriously though.  In some countries, people do drink/eat blood; although it is animal blood.  Which brings up the question as to whether animals can get Hep C or transmit it.  When I lived in the tropical western Pacific, there was Dinaguan and Fritata which was pig blood and innards chopped up and cooked for a long time with some green leafy vegetable and hot pepper.  It was actually delish.  Another question, does cooking kill the virus?  Going from the ridiculous to the sublime (if we are not there yet), if you cook blood first before injecting it or transfusing it or drinking it or whatever, can you still get HEP C !!?/!!**#?
Let's remember that what may seem like a foolish or strange question to some of you is a real concern for the person posting it, and that MedHelp is a safe and supportive site for everyone.

Emily
You are indeed one curiouslady aren't you?  For me eating something different is when they change up the recipe at my favorite restaurant and I cant' figure out the spices ;)

I didn't realize that people do drink blood in other countries but animals like pigs and dogs and cats and cows dont catch hepc so it wouldn't be in there in the first place.

I think the only animal that can is a chimpanzee but I could be wrong about that part.
Come on emily. We have to support anyone? Can't medhelp at least provide some garlic.:)
I think someone posted this before, be careful around fido!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/health/31hepatitis.html
"Viral Outbreaks in Dogs Yield Clues on Origins of Hepatitis C"
The researchers see three possibilities for the origin of the viruses. The least likely is that dogs acquired hepatitis C from humans. Another possibility is that dogs and humans both acquired the virus from an unknown animal. This is the sort of evolution that gave rise to the 2004 outbreak of SARS. At first scientists found the virus in the catlike palm civet of Southeast Asia. But later research revealed that the virus actually started out in bats and then spread to palm civets and humans.
Isn't it a completely different type of hepatitis that is what we were always told?
Spectda -

You don't have to support them, but you do have to be civil, polite and respectful.  If you find you can't do those things when a question frustrates you (and that frustration is valid many times), then it would be best to just not respond.  

I know your question to me was joking, but try and remember that there are many more people reading this than post to it, and imagine how you might feel as a scared newbie with questions.  If someone thinks they might get ridiculed, they might never post to get the support and great info you all give here.  Above all, MedHelp is a medical support and info site, and we can't forget that.

Emily
Like I posted before asking MH to perhaps remove one small advertisement and replace with a list of how HCV is transmitted.

This most likely would help people before asking these strange questions.

I think this also would work towards making  "MedHelp a safe and supportive site for everyone"

Just my opinion
I don't know if you are serious or not. I am sure none of us want you to feel uncomfortable on the forum if you really need our help. Sometimes we use humor to lighten our lives and interactions because we are dealing with a potentially life ending disease.
Welcome,
-Dave
Come on Emily, I like vampires.  And just because we're having a little fun with it doesn't mean we aren't offering support.  The question has been answered and we have asked for follow-up info and we're waiting for that.
Hi Deb-
I think your right, we don't have to worry about fido. I am going to take the dogs out for a walk before I get into more trouble.
Actually, I have found this to be quite helpful since I have narrowed my search for the original cause of transmission to my time in the Pacific Islands with an emigration history from SE Asia etc. or a brief sojourn in SF.  Although my geno is common in North Americans, I recall losing two fellow employees (very straight people and young) to liver cancer and end stage (one was Afro-American and the other Filipino).  The customs of the place at that time (in mid 70's) would have created a welcoming enviroment for the Hepatitis virus.  I think Pacific islanders are more prone to geno 2 and 3 if I am not mistaken and the islands more prone to HepB but dirty surgical instruments, blood draws with non sterile needles combined with the tropical climate and many visitors from foreign lands, tropical animals etc. could have provided the source for my infection.
Who in the heck cooks blood?
Then drinks it?
Vampires don't even do that
Just curious
It is animal blood, not human and it is actually quite nourishing.  The dish tastes a bit like a chicken liver or calves liver dish that is spiced up.  When served over rice with some leafy veggies, it is awesome.  However, the preparation must be very careful as we are talking pigs intestines and organs as well as the blood.  Obviously, you only want someone who knows what they are doing to clean the animal parts.  As well, we are talking about something that is slow cooked for a couple hours or more.  
Not intending to, I had blood sauce with suckling pig at a Batak party (Sumatra Indonesia) .
They also eat dog, claiming black dog is best.

Seriously oooccc, why drink blood when you can drink coffee?
Here is a note from a web site regarding Dinuguan: (you have to cook it longer if it is fresh pig)

"Dinuguan or pork blood stew is a Filipino, savory stew of blood and meat simmered in a rich, spicy gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili’s, and vinegar. The term Dinuguan come from the word dugo which means blood. It is similar to a Singapore dish, pig’s organ soup. The only difference is it does not have vegetables in it. For western cultures this dish is considered as unusual or maybe an alarming dish even though it is similar to European-style blood sausage or British black pudding, but in a saucy, stew form.

This dish is so popular in the Philippines that you will find it at just about any occasion, from simple family gatherings to weddings. For my kababayan who just recently moved here to the U.S., especially if you don’t live in the major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York City, you can still find edible pork blood at just about any International grocery store in the frozen section. One of the most popular brands here is Orientex. They have beef blood also. Ok, so enough talking and let’s get down to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1½ Lbs. of Pork belly (pork butt is fine)

10 oz. of Edible pork blood (Orientex)

2 Cups of Chicken stock (water is fine)

1 Cup of Vinegar (Datu-puti)

3 Tbs. Fish Sauce (Rufina)

4 Cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed

1 Medium onion sliced thinly

1 Bay leaf (Laurel leaf)

4 Pcs. Finger peppers

½ Tbs. Ground black pepper

1 Tsp. Msg (Aji-no-Moto)

½ Tbs. Kosher salt

Oil for sauteing

Directions:

Prepare pork blood by straining it and separating the blood that is in a jelly form in a separate bowl. Next add ¼ cup of water and break up the jellied blood with your hands and set aside. Slice pork into small bite sized pieces and set aside.

Using a casserole dish, heat 1 Tbs. of corn oil, add the pork, and spread it evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover and let it cook on medium low heat for three minutes without stirring it. Remove cover, stir the pork, and drain the liquid accumulated. Add garlic and saute for one minute, then add the onions, stir, and cover. Let it cook for another minute. Next add fish sauce and bay leaf and saute for 3 minutes. Then add ½ cup of vinegar, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and salt and let it simmer for five minutes. Add the jelly formed pork blood first, stir for about a minute, then add the rest of the pork blood and the finger peppers.

Continue to stir for about two minutes, cover, and let simmer for another five minutes. Add another ½ cup of vinegar. Again cover and let it simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Adjust the taste by adding salt & pepper if needed. That’s it, you’re done. Serve with white rice, or Puto. Enjoy!

ohhh ick!
Most Americans have to try it first and then find out what is in it later on in order to enjoy it unless you're an anthropologist like me.
Guess it wouldn't be too much difference in that and eating a steak very rare would it...
Mmmm.  Well no it would be different.  One doesn't eat raw or undercooked pork for one thing.  This is cooked very well and does not in the least look "bloody".  It looks and tastes like a liver dish.  It is black or blackish in color.  The idea of eating it if it looked red would cause me to respond ohhh ich!
Blood sausage with suckling pig dish & spiced right ...  is delicious ! ! Mostly found in SE Asia and the Pacific Islands , Mexico also has blood dishes ...  it may be an acquired taste .. For folks that try for the first time and don't know it's components .. most like it ... until they learn what's inside .. he he ..  no problem , more for those if us who enjoy it ; ) !
so Aaron what do you think of the recipe?

From South Louisiana,
Haven’t had this in about 30 years. It is illegal to sale now and the Old Timer are just about gone.
Blood Boudin
Ingredients
Ingredients
- Blood from a pig (Pork)
- Pork casings
- Pork fat
- 450 g (1 lb.) stale bread
- A little milk
- Scallions
- Chopped chili pepper
- Thyme
- Bay leaves
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Bay rum (bois d'Inde)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 lemon
- Scallions
- 10 bay leaves or bay rum leaves
- 2 red chilies
- A pinch of salt
Method
Making the sausage
1. Slaughter a pig; immediately collect the blood; add the vinegar and a little salt to prevent coagulation;
2. moisten the stale bread with a little milk and add to the blood;
3. in a bowl, combine the pork fat, chives, chili pepper, thyme, bay leaves, bay rum and pepper to make a paste;
4. blend in the blood and bread mixture;
5. wash the casings and rinse in water and lemon juice; fill them with the stuffing mixture; form links approximately every 12 cm (5").
Cooking
1. Place the ingredients listed for cooking the sausage into a large pot three-quarters filled with water and place over high heat;
2. when the water is about to boil, reduce the heat to medium and add the sausages - be careful that they do not touch the bottom of the pot;
3. cook for about 10 minutes and then pierce with a needle - if only fat comes out, the sausage is cooked.
Sommelier
Since the sausage is spicy, you need a red wine with body such as a Côtes-du-Rhône Villages

CL, I'm no good in the kitchen .. but, pretty good in the restaurant !
Both your recipe & R Glass's are looking tasty : ) ...

I'm getting hungry .. lunch time here ... off to get some Babi Guling + all the trimmings : ) ! Love the crackling too !

Here's a pic ... just to get the juices flowing : )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wantet/3571625657/
AARRGGGGHHHHH !!!!

It's just me I guess, I can't wrap my head around eating, fixing,
drinking blood from anyone nor an animal.
Nope it's not just you .. anyone into human blood needs serious help ..

Unless your a full vegetarian ... if you eat meat .. you eat animal blood in some form ... many folks hear about something and there is a automatic mental block established ... don't knock it till you try it : )

The Durian fruit (King of fruits) also gets this response from folks who at first can't get over the smell .. it's delicious for desert .. after babi guling ... ummmm !

But the best fruit is passion fruit, IMHO.  They don't sell it in US because, I am told, Americans are squeamish about eating something with seeds in it.
Passion fruit is real good, so is mangosteen & rambutan  .. but a good Durian is the best ; ) !

I'm not sure if passion fruit is sold in the US, or, if not why not ? I don't know but if it is about eating the seeds .. many grapes & Kiwi also have seeds and Chili pepper as well  ... granted not like passion fruit .. here "some folks" think if you eat the seeds of the passion fruit they will get stuck in the digestive track and cause a problem .. "they" say the same about eating chili with the seeds .

Hmmm getting hungry again :0
In France, pig's blood is considered a delicacy, and in some Asian countries, duck's blood and snake's blood are considered culinary treats.
ive eaten ducks blood soup a few times it has always been delicious.its common in the northeast.
Hi, I am a Singapore chinese. Here we are big on pig organ soup. Actually we eat almost all the parts of the pig, even the blood. Eat, not drink.
"Maybe some are drinking blood, mistaking 'passion fruit' juice as a euphemism...? "

Ha ha ha ha ... Now thats funny : ) ! !

You could get a lot of diseases besides HCV from drinking blood.  Even HIV if the blood is fresh enough.  You may be able to use a chemical process like pasteurization to make it safe.  
Hey guys, watch it.  The moderators are already down on this thread LOL.  This is the first I have heard that you can get HIV from drinking fresh blood.  I don't know anyone can get a bloodbourne virus from drinking something.  However, certainly you could get Hepatitis A which you can get from pork that isn't cooked as well as trichinosis.  I think what people don't get when they turn their noses down is that when local islanders and native peoples prepare some of these delicacy dishes; they are super careful.  Ever watched someone clean a pig for a community fiesta where something like dinuguan is served?  They wash it and re-wash it etc.  Much more careful than the FDA.  However, I think that Hepatitis in various forms is quite rife in some of the places.  I know that on an island where I used to live, food would lay out for hours in the hot sun at fiestas.  Not good as I know now even with the lemon juice and salt that much was marinated in.  But all of this is immaterial since you would need to inject the blood directly into your veins to get B and C.  Of course, if you were engaging in a horizontal activity while drinking fresh blood. . . well . . .
Have any of you ever watched any of the food shows on TLC or even history specials? There are SO Many cultures that use blood to create meals. I think there would have been less "vampire" jokes had the original question been more specific asking if you can get HCV from animal blood but either way if you are eating meat of any kind you are getting a certain amount of blood and many other things with it. There are many dishes that contain animal blood, ever heard of blood sausage???
what about BLADE the day walker.Or Ann Rice. Could they be hepper to.
Can a vampire give you hep if he's infected? Oh wait he's dead...or rather undead...so it's not likely the virus would survive in him. But what if he bit someone and never washed his fangs? I'd probably worry more about werewolfs, they're not undead.
Black pudding or blood pudding was something I was raised with.  It's made with pig's blood.  In Scotland back some centuries, they would let the blood of cows and mix it with oatmeal when food was scarce.  

Ricky - your recipe for Blood Boudin is very similar to a Black / Blood Pudding recipe and probably the same thing.

Scottish Recipes: Black Pudding

These blood puddings are traditional to all Celtic countries, and are one of the earliest prepared foods known to man. Pig's, lamb's and goose blood can also be used.

Recipe Ingredients:

4 cups blood
1 tablespoon salt
1 Πcups milk
3 medium onions, chopped
12 oz shredded suet
2 oz oatmeal
pinch nutmeg
half teaspoon mixed herbs
half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preparation Method:

Let the blood run into deep pan, and when cold add the salt.

Add the other ingredients, seasoning well, and either put into prepared skins or into a large ovenproof dish, or basin. This can then either be baked, the tin standing in another tin half filled with water, covered and baked at 300 deg F, or gas mark 2 for around one hour 30 minutes, or covered and steamed for the same length of time.

It is left to go cold, then sliced and fried up with eggs, bacon, sausages etc..
The German blood sausage I grew up on (Blutwurst)

400 grams of meat (lean meat) in 2 x 2 cm cubes
200 g bacon (back bacon), diced
200 g pork rind
200 g of blood, possibly extended with 15% milk or hot soup
20 g of pickling salt
2 g pepper, black ground
1 g cumin powder
2 g marjoram
½ g cinnamon
1 g of ground allspice,
20 g onion (s)
1 g of monosodium glutamate
I came to this post with curiosity after watching an episode of Bear Grylls Man vs Wild. He is in Alaska (I think, otherwise it's somewhere else that's snowy and cold) where he comes across a herd of reindeer. Being Bear Grylls, he is hungry and wants to show the public how he would survive in that situation. So he captures a reindeer and ties its antlers to a tree. Very soon after he outright kills it via blade to the brain. He then suggests that as it is newly dead you should cut the jugular and drink its blood, which he does, before cutting out its heart and having a munch on that too. This grossed me out for sure, but all animal cruelty arguments aside, I did question whether it was safe to do that sort of thing??