Hepatitis C Community
end stage near?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

end stage near?

my husband died of hep c in 03, now my former husband is in the hospital with it (i'm in remission). he has fluyid retention. his stomach has been tapped once. his red blood cells are too low for it to be tapped again. My husband left the hospital and soon died. If my former hubby stays in hospital and gets treatment are his chances good? how long does he have to get a transplant?
"If my former hubby stays in hospital and gets treatment are his chances good?"
If he is being treated at a transplant center and he is "listed" for a transplant he has a great chance of surviving.

"How long does he have to get a transplant?"
Livers are given to the sickest patients first. This is measured by his MELD score.
If his MELD score is in the 30s (assuming type O blood) that usually indicates he will be able to get a transplant soon, depending on how many other people are waiting.

We need more details of his condition to fully assess.

Hectorsf
he is not at a transplant center and he wants to leave the hospital today. He's not even on a list yet. His family is getting together to see if they can be a living transplant, if they can donate a piece of their liver, is this possible?, since the liver rejuvenates itself?
It is possible if he can find a match, though there is some risk for the donor. I believe this was the procedure one of our members,  'orphanedhawk' had. You might try putting her name in the search box at the top of the page.