Hepatitis C Community
hair and nails

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hair and nails

Im kinda confused as why the tx makes your hair thin but at the same time makes your eyebrows bushy? Im also reading that people who have had nail fungus are cleared of it after tx.Any ideas???
I still have toenail fungus, but the Andy Rooney comedy eyebrows cleared up, thankfully :o). Boy, they stuck out all over the place; looking back, I probably should have slicked them down with Dixie Peach Pomade, hahaha!

No ideas why it happens; IFN certainly does strange things to our skin though…

--Bill
Hi Bill...if you recall, I'im proving that i'm a reliable patient to my family dr...just had the 2nd of 3 monthlly consecutive appts.  I don't visit this site as often as i used to as it increases the anxiety that this waiting game started.  May I ask, I've heard different comments on the forum re: this....how long were you on treatment?  Also, is it a common side effect to have one's hair thin?  Never heard of the bushy eyebrows...is that also a common side effect?  Being a woman, this is a concern.  thaks in advance...hope you have a nice weekend...cindy
Hi Cindy,

I was on HCV therapy for a total of 152 weeks, spread over two treatment periods spanning roughly four years.

And yes, temporary thinning of hair is commonplace; up to 40-50% in some cases can be expected. On the bright side, it doesn’t fall out in clumps like some cancer chemo patients experience, and it fills in again once treatment is complete.

Bushy eyebrows, “llama lashes”, and general changes in hair color, texture and volume can be expected to varying degrees.

You have a good weekend yourself--

--Bill
My hair has alot of gray.Maybe it will turn back to the original pale blonde I used to be !!!!LOL You have a great weekend too!!! cindy