Hepatitis C Community
hepatitis C antibodies

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

hepatitis C antibodies

in certain countries, HBV and HCV infections will lead to Visa application denial.  and since the authorities are testing for HCV antibodies and not PCR, my qustion what happens with the antiboides for HCV after successful treatment for HCV infection?, do they persist, or expected to seroconvert to negative. many thanks
Avatar n tn
They persist maybe for a lifetime. And that even includes the 25% of people that clear it naturally.
I guess you would have to write a sideletter explaining your particular situation with a dr's signature on it.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for prompt response,  I was faced with few patient with HCV positive on antibodies and later confirmation PCR. they were denied visa application or work permit on the basis of the lab results.  this is the regulation in some gulf countries including Kuwait.

they wanted to be treated with standard antiviral not because of abnormal LFT, but because they are positive on antibodies.  they specifically wanted to become negative so they can be permitted visa or can joint a new job.

according to the response, i guess, the test persist for life time, I guess one can write to the authorities to indicate that even if the patient recovered spontaneously, he will continue to exhibit positivity

many thanks Mohammed Al-Shamali MD, FRCPC, FACP.  Local gastroenterologist and hapatologist
When I became a medical assistant they said you have to have titers before you can work with patients. When the doctor came back with my results he says this is very strange. It says you had hepatitis A, you didn't have hepatitis B and you are carrying antibodies for hepatitis C, but all your liver studies are normal. I had no symptoms whatsoever. So my immune system was strong enough to hold it back, until I took 1 1/2 bottles of kava kava a couple years later and that brought on the chronic condition. I got the hepatitis B shots as recommended.

Avatar n tn
Visas can be obtained.  You will need to attach a viral load test along with an explanation of exposure but no longer a threat.  It is always a good idea to have it stamped "original".  If all else fails, get an agent who has a friend of a friend who can help cut through the red tape.  Normally, antibodies is cause for further testing not denial.
Cela
mike716 SVR May, 2015 (Sovaldi+Olys... Comment
Dee1956, and 10356 commented on 10356's status
surfer90265 uploaded new photos
Track your weight over time