Hepatitis C Community
hepatotoxicity concern over prescribed medication

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am a Hep C patient and have been prescribed ranitidine tablets 300 mg twice a day for esophageal erosion.  The doctor did not order any monitoring of my LFT's.  Should I be concerned?  I have read that ranitidine can harm the liver.  I have been taking it for 1 week now.
i am a newly diagnosed, beginning hep-c injectionist and i have no idea of what you're talking about but i wish you the best of luck and success in your treatment.
you're not alone.
wyntre
Ranitidine is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist, and is generic for Zantac.  Nearly all medicines carry some form of liver and kidney warning--but I've taken tagament/zantac for years (well, I used to, now it's omeprazole/prilosec)--prescribed by gastro-docs with full knowledge of my hcv status.

I'd say you are okay, but a quick call to your doctor should alleviate any remaining apprehension.
Is a histamine antaganist the same as a PPI?
a h 2 blocker blocks the production of acid thus increasing the stomach ph  the proton pump inhibitors block the pumping of that acid into the stomach to increase the stomach ph .                                                                  marsal ast and alt should be monitered 1-2 x a year in patients on high dose and long duration of therapy. however since you have hep c you get these run every 6 months so you should be good in that regard .doubt that you will have a problem with the zantac