Hepatitis C Community
how do you get Hep.C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

how do you get Hep.C

My dad claims he has Hep. C and that he's had it since he was younger. how exactly do you get it and what symptoms would you have. i cant prove what he's saying since he lives in Alabama and im in Texas and i cant and havnt seen medical records but i was just wondering?
it is a blood to blood disease which has to enter the blood stream to get infected.most people catch it from intravenious drug use,vaccinnations blood transfusions etc from back in baby boomer days sharing anything that draws blood,very very slight chance of catching it thru sex.
some symptoms he could have is fatigue,pain in liver,jaundice,nausea,vomiting etc there are more but most dont get symptoms for years and iv had it 15 yrs and i only get fatigue and liver aches.
there r treatments available to get rid of it,hope your dad gets treated,im on treatment now,got 3 weeks left.
Avatar n tn
You say in your profile that he is a drug abuser-well that's the most common way of getting Hep C.
Usually it is caused by sharing needles,the virus is literally injected into the bloodsteam.
The main symptom is fatigue but other more serious symptoms can follow.
A blood test tells you for sure.
Not many people would "claim" to have HCV if they did not have it.  
After reading your profile, I see that your father has been a “Crack Head” your entire life. This explains why you may be skeptical of any claim he makes. In other words, at this point you’ve pretty much “heard it all.” I would say he probably is telling the truth about having HCV.
You stated you do not know how to help him. He is a grown man and you are only 17 years old. It is not fair to burden you with this.
HCV is a slow progressing disease. The only thing you can do for him is to encourage him to stay clean and for him (not you) to seek whatever medical assistance Alabama has to offer. I am sure he will qualify for free meds.
You have witnessed first hand how drugs can destroy lives. Stay away from them and have a good life. I hope the best for your father but if he doesn’t stay clean he will eventually die. This is his decision and there is nothing you can do about it.
Avatar n tn
not everybody is a drug user,I hand a blood transfusion..there are many G I,s  have gotten it through shots....going to the dentist also may  have been risky[not good sterial treatments back then) Nurse,s ect...also know of a surgon who contracted it through blood...my point being is how  Hep C paitents are treated...poorly!With the thousands of new cases yearly being diagoised,and growing there needs to be a new protacal of treatment and a little dignity some of the so call drug abusers were hippies back in the day are now grandparents and have not used drugs for over thirty years are now being called drug abusers....even drug abusers are human all need to treated with respect!   A F a Transplant survior who has through  hell we dont need ignorant medical dr,s makeing our life,s worse
I most likely got it from an old tattoo. I've also had extensive dental work done and double hernia surgery done in Canada. Contaminated surgical instruments can spread hep c.
Hi adairobin

You have commented to a post from 6 years ago 2009.

But anyway are you aware of the new treatments available just on the last 2 years that are highly effective, much shorter duration, and much better tolerated than the old treatments. The newest are called Harvoni one pill a day for 12 weeks for most  and also Viekira Pak which is more pills but also very effective.

If you still have hep c you should see a hepatologist soon

Good luck
Dee1956 commented on spider6's status
Dee1956 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 24
Track your weight over time