how many weeks should I treat ?
diagnosed in feb this year with acute hep c and geno 1 a  with a very high viral load
started treatment  immediately and at 4  a small log drop and at  week 12 over a 3 log drop and week 22 was already non dectable as with the 24 week test.
However the first two weeks of therapy messed up and did not take the medications as prescribed as was not fully aware of priorities.
I have been fortunate to of completed 26 weeks of therapy with no side effects from ribba or interferon.
Should I complete 48-60 or 72 weeks of therapy?
HCA
There is no authoritive answer to your questiom.
Acutes can clear successfully in twelve weeks-although obviously not in your case!
In chronic infections persistent viral serum until week 22 would be an indicator for 72 weeks.
Are you sure you are an acute?
i was diagnosed as acute infected within a period of 2 months before therapy begin.
unfortunately had an extremely high viral load of nearly 50ml.
perhaps if i had started therapy after waiting 3 months to see if my body cleared  I would have had a lower viral load to of contended with. However, we cannot change the past and only live with the present.
At least 48 weeks - if significant vitral reduction at 12 weeks. 48 is standard. They used to stop earlier - 24, etc. if undetectable and found relapse rate was a lot higher. Relapse rate way lower in those who continue at least 48 weeks and have an initial significant viral reduction.
You didn't mention whether you were biopsied and what liver damage you have?

Turst you have success with treatments.
By the way, I am Acute Hep C, geno type 1a, 15 weeks and had labs today - hopefully which will come back undetectable - my viral load has dropped from 22 million to 87 in 12 weeks.

But don't skip meds!
Volvic - are you sure you are acute just a high fever isn't an indicator of anything.......did you have a needle stick or something that would sort of "prove" it?

Only asking because acutes can clear and probably you wouldn't have needed to start treatment ASAP if just diagnosed...in fact I am an extremely aggressive treater and I wouldn't have.  20% of acutes clear the virus naturally.

If you indeed are chronic (which makes more sense without ksowing any other things) if you are not UND at week 12 but are at 24 then 72 is suggested (and what I did).  I guess really it wouldn't make a difference acute or chronic...since you had not cleared even with the meds perhaps it is a sign that extending might be the way to go since you had a good chance to clear even without (heck we all start as acute at some point and then become chronic).

As you can tell there is no real answer but definitely don't stop before 48!
very sure I was acute in februray as on a routine check associated to HIV and testing for Hep B my liver values were to high and so other tests were carried out. My doc came back with Hep C and gave me the opportunity to wait and see iof mybody would clear or to beging treatment. I decided to begin treatment immediately as my doct told me the seriousness related to hiv *
As you say there is no real answer and mydoctoldme right at the beginning because ofthe high viralload he did not expect me to clearin week 4 or 12 and was surprised I cleared in 22 week.
first hope your labs come back undectable and also started off close to 50 ml in acute stage.am gald it dropped by 3 logs in 12 week and was on the borderofnon dectable.22 week non dectable and 24 week non dectable.
I have no issues doing 72 weeks,but prefer to do less.
also wonder if long term 72 week treatment  causes any other significant damage?
so far lucky not one side effect after 26 weeks.
my liver was scanned and am extremely lucky to have no liver damage-guess because of the early diagnosis