Hepatitis C Community
i tested positive for HEP C recently

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

i tested positive for HEP C recently

what now? is my life over? should i tell my man?
Have you been diagnosed by a HCV RNA PCR test or have you only had an antibodies test, the reason I ask is because approx 20% of all people who come in contact with the virus will clear through their own immune system but will always test positive for the antibodies, so if you have only had the antibodies test you need further testing to confirm an active HCV infection

Is it possible for someone to become infected with HCV and then spontaneously clear the infection?

Yes. Approximately 15%–25% of persons clear the virus from their bodies without treatment and do not develop chronic infection; the reasons for this are not well known.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HCV/HCVfaq.htm#c5
First let me say your life is not over because of Hep C! Actually if you could pick from the disease ala carte menu, Hep C would be the one to pick. At least it is curable more then 80% of the time.

Did you test positive for just the antibodies? You may need an additional test to make sure you have it. Some people clear it on their own but the antibodies will continue to show when tested. The test to confirm is the PCR test.

See a Hepatologist (liver specialist) for definitive answers and to treat if you have an active virus.

I think you should tell your man. But also tell him that it is not transmitted sexually. It is a blood to blood disease. Don't share toothbrushes, razors, etc.

best of luck
Hi and welcome to the forum please do as above and see a liver doc then you will know for sure and yes i think you should tell your man honesty is the best policy in a relationship what ever it is about. but like copyman said it is blood to blood disease i have had no worries about anything concerning my hubby apart from him getting well. Please keepposting and we will help as much as we can Jules