Hepatitis C Community
immune compromised??

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

immune compromised??

So many finishers..gads!!  I feel like a freshman with senior envy!!!  I hope each and every one of you NEVER has to poke yourself again!!  I have a couple of issues/questions.  First, thanks for the support, my mom is fine, looks a little like bride of frankenstein (carotid surgery) but at least thats all they did to her.  I survived, got so tired I was a little weepy sunday, but I AM NOT GOING TO COMPLAIN!!! My sx are so minimal, if thats the worst my hubby has to deal with, we'll just count our proverbial blessings.  BTW, so far no riba rage.  And trust me, spending a week in a hospital, MANY opportunities arise to lose your temper.  OK, my question.  As can-do-man remembers, I am spayed, so each spring I must quench my maternal lusts with a surragote... and this spring I am running low on chickens.  However, the catalog (hah, bet NYgirl didn't know there were chicken catalogs!) says because of salmonella, immune compromised individuals should not have birds...  So, are we immune compromised from start to finish, or only if our white cells drop?  Interesting question, no?  Also, am I the only one that has a little of, shall we tactfully say spring fever?  Is there a sx related to baser urges that isn't discussed?  Please be discreet in your responses...
Haven't read all the posts in a few days, so I have not seen the threads on your mom yet, but I am glad her ordeal is over and you were able to be there for her -- that means soooo much.

Also happy to hear your sides are light - so were mine for at least the first 24 weeks,but truly they aren't terrible bad now (week 33) just bad days.  The immune question is an interesting one.  Now you say you get real chickys each spring?  (not died pastels, I hope).  I have never read about the chicken-immune suppression issue BUT I would have to say our immune systems are suppressed whether or not or blood counts have dropped low enough for aids.  

Now I want to know more about this sorted chicken/spay/maternal issue..not spayed myself, but maybe I need chickens anyhooo
Friole, lets just say I used to take care of babylust with horses born each spring.... hubby just loves the idea of chickens!!  Much cheaper,.. I've raised persians, french alpine goats, sheep, bullmastiffs, sugar gliders, a million birds (finches, canaries, parrotlets..)... so a few chickens each year is a pretty sane compromise for me... but I want some pigeons this year also..... fancy ones of course!!  But I don't want to take a chance on making myself sick.. I have my first Drs. appointment this afternoon, I will ask him if we are considered generically "immune suppressed" for the duration...
Well I hear ya. It's turnin warm here and it just makes you want to go out cluckin around in the ole barnyard. Chickens are hard to catch with this fatigue though. I think if you stay away from direct beak to lip contact you should be okay. I prefer the White leggins over the Road Island Reds because they are better at identifying Chicken Hawks. My doc told me that through this whole treatment and I am on week 14 of 48 that my immune system would be weakened and to be careful going into crowds (didn't mention the chickens), malls, church so I would say be careful. As far as maternal instincts I have a pet rock I could mail you. I don't think I am giving it what it needs to be happy. Dale
Dale, thanks for the offer of the rock, but I'm already married.... JUST KIDDING!!!  Obligatory male bashing....  Out here in the desert, white chickens stick out like a sore thumb- I will get a few rose combed brown leghorns, lay like crazy, wild as a march hare, but I prefer cochins and buff orphington.  Have I ever kissed a chicken..well hell, I've kissed the snakes and lizards we raised, so make a guess!!  That reminds me, I'm on the list for a baby leopard tortoise, and I know there are salmonella issues with herps.... so many things to worry about....
I think that the main risk with the avian world is the possible transmission of chirpees. But if you watch the mouth to beak as Dales suggests....How 'maternal' is this? Do you get eggs you need warm to hatch?
Don't worry about the manditory male bashing - we understand and it is expected. My wife recently won a the gold medal at Turin. I think that once we (men) are on the endangered species list more people will actually want to adopt us. We don't train well but we are handy if there is beast of burden things to be done. Things that require a weak mind and strong back. I kissed a chicken last night right before I bit him right in the batter. If you really go maternal you could get a Emu now there is a bird and the egg is the size of a football. Think of the omelette you could impress friends with. I like turtles too they make really good soup and you can wear the shell like a little german helmet later. You sound like your having a pretty good day and this silliness certainly improves mine. Dale
Well been meaning to ask how your conquest of ole Mr Stumpy was coming along. I got to thinking about you out in the backyard determined to win the battle and defeat the stump and I started working on my old car again. I got the rear end back under it and may have it on its wheels again this weekend. It felt good to accomplish something after these past 14 weeks. I do feel like I'm over the hump a little now but your stump attach gave me the needed encouragement to get back out there. Keep swingin at it. Dale
Yup, the stump is gone! A minor victory.  Have since backfilled the hole and now looking for a replacement tree.  I like the outside work, it's theraputic and a good way to take out aggressions.  But, the good news, is I don't have to deal with the maternal instincts that fishdoc has. So no chickens, ferrets or barnyard friends to deal with. Although I seem to have a craving for barbecue chicken all of a sudden.
OK, if you guys had better aim, we might let you stay in the house more.... and if your wife is one of them speed skaters she coulda just kicked florida dudes stump up for him!!  Man, them aint calves, they're steers!!!  Talk about buff!!  It would be hard to feel bad if you had a super athletic SO.  And I must wonder if your really a chicken guru- everyone knows you don't chase them, you slide them off the roost at night..........
boy, I am just some city gal, and you are talkin' greek to me.  Now we will get a few mosquito fish for our little bitty pond this summer, but they are hard to pet and don't like the cuddling.
With misquitos its hard to hold their little wings so you can cuddle them with chickens its easier to hold their feet. All of our chickens were a little gun shy and roosted with one eye open for some reason. They didn't really care for the slidin part either. Their little peckers would just quiver they were so nervous all the time. Say I'm starting to get a craving for BBQ chicken grilled on pond misquito droppings. To cuddle or not to cuddle. DR
Yes, you are so right!!  Grown ones don't do anything for the maternal instincts either...  and at least they don't paste up....  

My doc said "greater than normal caution in cleanliness" so thats oK.  Also, he was very pleased.. after 2.5 weeks (three shots) my ALT is lower than it has been in three years (35).  He said that indicates to him that their is a virulogic response... anyone else had that happen?  Does a lowering alt correlate to drop in PCR at the next stage?  We are going to do a 12 week, but not a 4 week.  Anyway any positive is ok with me, I'll take it.

cheers,
c.
i have 5 backyard chickens, and enjoy thier fresh eggs almost everyday , i cook with them and bake with them you can really taste and see the diff when you bake with fresh egg... i due shot 12 on fri and have been running on  boarder line white count since week 2 and have not had any infections so i wouldnt worry once you get past the cute fuzzy stage you wont feel like kissin em much anyway....
IIRC, back in the old days, they used to use AST/ALT as *the* marker during tx - back before they could quantify the VL. So yeah, its an excellent indicator of reaction to the meds. You are ROCKIN'!!!

There's controversy, but I sure do like the 4 week PCR. They are treating some geno 1's for 24 weeks now, and who knows what new studies will emerge down the road. That 4 week measurement is one you can't go back and get later.
Don't discount the pie bit to fast, depends on what "pie" you huh gave him.
What the doc told me: the four week and 12 week is essentially for the other than 1's, specifically to determine length of treatment.  He said he likes to do a 12 week, but the alt was indicative enough for the short term response.  Not sure I agree, my MD trumps PhD at least when it comes medicine.
I agree with the 4 week pcr for geno 2 and 3's, As for geno 1 im not much for it unless you have little damage and might go the 24 week course. My doctor left it up to me on it. I didn't have it done because as a stage 4 theres no short cut. And it would not have changed the way we were treating so i figured why have the added stress when nothing was going to change. Plus i just don't enjoy being stuck anymore then i have to.
Yes i would also talk to her about 48 weeks if clear at 4 weeks, adding 24 weeks because of fatty liver seems a tab bit much for me. Maybe adding a few weeks more but even then i would question the reason. These meds i feel the less you have to put in you the better all the way around. Good luck az girl/guy
I agree with you.  I really don't want to do 48 weeks.  If I am clear at 4 weeks then she has agreed it will be my choice.  She said her s's have relapsed within 6 months.  If that happens then it will be 48 no questions asked.  I figure at this point I have time.  My shot date of this friday has been changed...one of my incisions opened up and she says no way until it is closed.  I guess I need to be careful for what I wish for.  My meds are on the way so I'll be staring at them for 2 1/2 more weeks before I take the plunge.

"Plus i just don't enjoy being stuck anymore then i have to."

I have to differ on this one....

As for turning into one of the male species...I'm afraid it is short lived as my special new parts have started to shrivel and are now the size of shriveled prunes...I'm afraid it won't be much longer before they are gone....even after all the cleaning and playing...well it was fun while it lasted.  At least my rear still has the pink puffy flaps that I can still be proud of.  Chapstick to the rescue!!

deb in az
Since you won't be starting for a while, make sure you follow the storage directions for the meds.
As for the 24 or 48 thing. Sense you have time why don't you send that question to Doctor Dieterich at this site.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Hepatitis/

You said.....I'm afraid it is short lived as my special new parts have started to shrivel and are now the size of shriveled prunes...I'm afraid it won't be much longer before they are gone

You to huh, thought it was just me. Bet there is a whole lot of us out there. but just to ashame to admit it... Right Goof?

Bet Mr az is sure glad  though

Huh? D'you ask sumthin? Lemme try to shift these bowling balls out of the way so I can type.... ahhh... much better.
<hr>

AZgirl: What's your riba dosing going to be? <a href="http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis/messages/40162.html">Here's a thread</a> that talks a bit about that.

Also, I looked at the infamous Italian study (that's the 12 week short tx study), and steatosis does not seem to predictive of relapse in that patient population, although the study is more geno 2 than geno 3. I could email the study to you if you'd like.

________________________________________________________________

Now wouldn't marbles been closer to the truth there goof?
Goof - if you can email me the study that would be great....my email is in my profile at the janis and friends site I think...under azbloom.

I will be doing 800 mg of riba.  She wanted to try weight based and go up but she said I wasn't heavy enough....I think that's a compliment....

be carful shifting the bowling balls...you wouldn't want to knock out the "pin"

can do - Me az is feeling very happy about the shriveling as he was feeling a little neglected since I had my own stress balls to play with....things are back on track and once again he has a smile on his face....wait a minute the smile could just be from the pie I made him last night...oh my I better check into that.

I sent in the question to the link you posted....I will let you know if I get a response.  Thanks for that.

deb in az
From my docs perspective the 4 week is essential in determining length of tx.  At least for her 3a's if you aren't ud by week 4 then you go 48 weeks.  So that test is an important one.  I don't know how it is with her 1's though.

We are back to the same debate on 24 vs 48 again.  She has changed her protocol for her 3a's with fatty liver to 48weeks.  I'm still not sure I'm convinced just yet. But will continue the discussion with her.

deb in az

OK, what does that leave, thai food???  sheesh, man cannot live by bread alone, didn't someone say that??
Just my experience w/immune defficiant. Of coarse my wbc,neutroplis, & everything else are flat lining so my case is abit extreem. DR told me no fresh fruit or veggies, no prepared foods, would rather I didn't eat meat but if I did to make sure it's very well done, no eggs, no dairy, things like that. Good thing I can't hardly eat anyway! :) Good luck and be well.
i know! i was like that leaves me with ahhhhhhhh? i think it's goof that can give you an idea by telling you what he eats. all i eat is chicken noodle soup, saltines, & sherbert. not much but everything else makes me sick. i hope you have better luck. take good care of yourself.
its rockerforlife that can give you good diet advice, not goof. sorry just wanted to get it right:)