Hepatitis C Community
insurance cover?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

insurance cover?

Does anyone know if BCBS insurance covers treatment?  I called... then had to call the drug people.  I asked them to look up interferon and she could not find anything.  Sometimes I think they just don't feel like looking things up.  

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with BCBS?  If ins does not cover, any ideas on the cost per treatment period?
I think it depends entirely on your individual policy. If you have problems with them covering your treatment, there are patient assistance programs available.
I had BCBS and eventually I gave up on them and contacted Commitment to Care at 800 521 7157. They are the makers of PegIntron. They helped me tremendously. They supply my drugs at NO COST.I don't know if they receive payment from my insurance company. I could not get answers or solutions from BCBS and I was too sick at the time to fight with them. Commitment to Care provided all my meds and was very easy to deal with. They have very generous qualification levels, it is well worth it to apply to them. It is fast and easy and I am not having to pay the substantial copays BCBS required. They took my insurance info. but Im not sure if they then went after BCBS for payment or not, all I know is I no longer had to hassle with them and I got the  meds I needed.

There is also a patient assistance program for Pegasys, they have a website Pegassist.com and you can contact them from there if it turns out you are using Pegasys.

One other thing, the Interferon was covered by BCBS under the injectible portion of the pharmecutical on my policy, but again every policy is different.
Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.
Yes I have BCBS and they do cover. I didn't start tx, but they said it is 35 dollars and they send a 3 month supply at a time. Call for yourself though, your nurse will be the one who handles everything from there, as least that is what happened in my case.

wish you the best!
Thanks Guys!  I am in the beginning stages of decision to treat and just trying to get my ducks in a row and $$ if necessary.  I go to my MD on the 1st for bloodwork for vl but can't get in to see my gastro until 12/7.  It has been 5 years since my last biopsy so I am sure they will want to do another one.  

Does your treatment plan depend on what stage you are after your biopsy?
MY BCBS SAID I WAS NOT COVERED FOR "injectables". commitment to care did. thank you c to c. most company bcbs policies do cover completely. the cost for riba was $1300 mo and peg was $1600/mo.
commitment said they would provide the riba but i though my bc should pay that so plough got that money anyway. i picked up the $15 deductable.
My doctor said the treatment would cost $15,000 for 48 weeks before I started.
I am so glad it worked out for you!
Keep in touch with us as to how you are doing during your tx.
Treatment for interferon and riba ONLY - no procrit or any other rescue drugs are around $975 weekly for 48 that's $46,800.  I wonder where he got the idea it's only $15,000.

Are you still on treatment?  How's it going?
I called Commitment to Care and they started an application.  Without even being formally approved they are going to send me out one month worth of my prescription (both peg/intron and riba) which is wonderful as it would have cost me around $400 with the copay.  Kalio - thanks so much for your information!
My BCBS does cover TX completely with my co-pay.  BTW my doc last time ordered me a 3 month supply and I only got hit with 1 month co-pay for each drug, considering they sent IFN, Porcrit, Neupogen and Riba it was a godsend that they did it that way.
I have BCBS insurance. My opinion , the best insurance I've ever had. Without fail , they have paid every dime spent during this
diagnosis and treatment process. I am very happy with them.
thanks that is reassuring!  I am a county govt employee, the ins is good so I hope they cover I guess I will have to wait and see what the doc says about treatment and have them ask for the ok from bcbs.  Thanks again!  if not I will submit app to commit to care.
I'm doing just fine. Thanks for asking. Yes, I'm on my 4th week. I get labs done tomorrow and a viral load next week in the doctor's office.

I slept really good last night. I think sending that cat away was a big help. When I would get up to pee he thought it's time to eat. I have a bladder infection that cannot be treated with antibiotics now. So I have to get up a lot. Without my son's cat here, I can go back to sleep right away. My son didn't want his cat back because of the new baby. So he went back to Friends for Life where he came from. He's very happy in his new home. He has his own room now.