Hepatitis C Community
negative at 20 weeks

A community of people with Hepatitis C to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: diagnosis, current treatments, side effects, research studies, and clinical trials. To communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit Hepatitis Social.

negative at 20 weeks

Hello everyone,

I have tested negative for both HIV and Hep B/C at 20 weeks post exposure.
I am still having gastro-intestinal symptoms and have not been able to put my weight back. Have lost 8 to 9 pounds since this ordeal began ..

I am scheduled to retest again at 26 weeks....

Is a 20 week negative a good indicator... What is the window testing period for hepatitis...

Thanks in advance,
anyone?

What does HCV Ab with Rflx to RIBA non reactive mean?
That means you tested negative (non reactive) to the standard test for HCV antibodies with RIBA supplement. Normally this test should yield a number, but "non reactive" can indicate a negative result also. This means that there are no antibodies to HCV detected and you have probably not been exposed/infected. Ask your Dr. to be sure.

I think that you may have to wait as long a 6 months after exposure, and get tested then, to be sure you are not infected. Again, check with your Dr.

Brent
Wait, I can't count! 20 weeks is nearly 6 months. You are almost certainly not infected. The follow up in 26 weeks is still an important check to make sure, though. I hope that puts your mind at rest a little. Maybe you can gain a little weight back now.  :-)

Breathe easy,
Brent
Thank you very much for your respones. I will get my 26 weeks test ad hopefully put this to rest...
If your screening test 'reflexed' to the 'Riba' confirmatory test, that means your

screening test was 'weakly reactive,' with a signal between 1 and 3.  The Riba test

is VERY specific for Hcv antibody, and if Riba is neg then you have NO Hcv antibody in

your bloodstream.  The screening test is VERY sensitive for antibody and can show a

'weak' reactive signal.  A 'weak' reactive is usually a 'false' pos.  That is the purpose of

the Riba test.  The screening test is VERY sensitive for all antibodies, not just Hcv,

which can result in 'false' pos signal.  The Riba test is VERY specific for HCV antibody

only.  If the Riba is neg, then you have no reason to worry.

A 20 week neg is almost 5 months.  If I were you, i would stop testing and worrying.

Most people will be pos on the antibody test by 12 weeks or so.  You are way past that.
The Cdc says the average time to show antibody is 50 days or so.  Antibody tests are

more accurate as the number of days increases.  You are well past any reasonable

limit for testing.

May I ask what was your risk?

Even after the highest risk activity for Hcv, Intravenous drug use with a known Hcv pos

person, i would say a 20 week neg puts you in the clear.  If you had a low risk event,

say sex with a pros, there is no doubt you are in the clear.

Did you know Hcv is not considered a Std?  Hep B and Hiv are classic Stds but

Hcv is a blood borne virus, transmitted mainly by blood transfusion, before 1992, and

sharing of an infected needle for shooting drugs.  Fyi.
A twenty week neg for hep B and Hiv is golden.
Hi Jakied,

My lab tests read:

HCV Ab w/ Rflx to Riba Non Reactive <0.1
HCV Ab Negative / Not infected with HCV unless recent infection is suspected or other evidence exists to indicate HCV infection.

Exposure, that's the problem... My drink was tainted and I was assaulted( I am a female)...Cant remember what really happened but next morning there was evidence of attempted anal penetration...Man unknow HIV/HCV status and unknown to me....

Thanks for your replies, hopefully I can put this nightmare behind me real soon at my 26 week test....

It sounds as though you did not need the 'Riba' test because your signal on the

screening test was low.  That is GREAT news for you.  A twenty week neg antibody test

puts you in the clear.  DO NOT worry at all about your 26 week test.  If you were to test

pos now, you would make medical history.  
Sexual Transmission of Hcv IS possible but rare.  Please don't worry anymore, put

this nightmare behind you and move on with life.  I would suggest you not have a

26 week test.  I know you feel you want to test then, which is fine.  But when (NOT if)

your test comes back neg, promise yourself you will stop testing and worrying.
Dee1956 108 days for....guess who?! Comment
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
Dee1956, and 10356 commented on dominosarah's status
Sep 28
Track your weight over time