Hepatitis C Community
weakly anti-hcv elisa

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

weakly anti-hcv elisa

I had three tests for HCV  elisa two was weakly positive and one was negative.  at the same time I had two PCR test and all  were megative. I had these tests every six month. my question is  am I infected? shoud I see doctor? I am not suffering from any symptoms. thank
With two neg Pcr tests, you certainly don't have the virus.  With two weak + antibody tests, I would ask your doctor for the 'Riba' confirmatory test for antibody.  it is VERY specific for hcv antibody.  You have a good chance that the Riba will be neg.  If so, you are neg for hep C virus and antibody.  Most people on this forum would give their left arm for that.
You are not infected (100%)
what is difference between elisa and riba test?
The RIBA originally was developed as a high-specificity confirmatory test for patients with a positive EIA result, but the importance of the RIBA has diminished with the marked improvement in specificity of the 3rd generation EIA tests and with the more widespread use of molecular assays.
if elisa value is 1.4 then it is possible to have false positive?
Personally I have never taken that test.

What does the doctor who requested this test say?
doctor are saying to give pcr test for confirmation. which test is most sensitive? qualitative or quantitative?
fatty liver is curable or not?
To you first question, they are just different measements.  I do not know how they corrollate, though.  All of my tests were listed  in the quantitive figures.

In answer to the second, I don't know if it is a 'cure' or not, but it can improve by diet and practicing good health - eating liver friendly ALL the time, cut out adding salt and sugar to you foods, and read all labels to cut down on those in prepared foods, drinking water, 1oz water for every 1 lb of weight, up to 1/2 of your body weight daily,  if you drink alcohol STOP immediately, if you smoke tobacco also stop, or at least begin stopping - get help if necessary - don't do illicit drugs, especially IV Drugs, and exercise every day, to the extent that your conditions will allow.  Do not overdo on the exercise.  Better to walk or swim or bike for a few minutes a day than to overdue and wear your energy down.  The diet and exercise and non drinking are essential.  Mine improved fairly quickly.

Good luck and good health!

Blessings,

Pat
If you take a test for the hep c virus and it says "virus not detected" you don't have hep c

Either test will do as long as it is the test for the virus not the antibody.

You can help resolve a fatty liver by following your doctors recommendations. If overweight or especially obese the best thing you ca do is lose weight with the long term goal to get to a normal BMI but best to ask your doctor how to proceed from here.
doctor gave medicine  and told me that liver is fatty.i have pain in right abdominal and right back.
I am sorry to disturb you.
doctor gave you what type of medicine to treat what condition?

Did you take a test for the hep c virus that came back with a viral load? A number of virus in your blood? Do you know your Genotype would be like 1a 1b 2a 2b 3a 3b and so on there are 11 major genotypes and which genotype you have determines your treatment medicine.

No worries but to get more answers form other people I suggest you click th egreen post a question link at the top right of the page and start your own thread as this thread was from 2008 and we are just adding on to it off topic

Good luck
Lynn
my hcv pcr rt is negative.but hcv elisa is 1.40 cut off 1.
doctor gave me medicine which name is protak, glif a and rabeadvan.is pain due to hcv antibody.