Hepatitis C Community
what can happen

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

what can happen

i just found out that husbands liver is inflamed the DR thinks he has Hepatitis C we been  together for 5 years hes38 and im 23 how bad can it be or get for him and for me will it show up  for me or   will it hit me out of no were
Hi Laz,

I imagine the doctor will order HCV screening tests. If these tests return positive (reactive) then further testing to confirm will be needed prior to diagnosis. Has His doctor referred him to a specialist yet?

Hep C isn’t normally transmitted via sexual intercourse; it is however by blood to blood contact. Avoid sharing toothbrushes and things like nail clippers until things get straightened out. Also, your husband should avoid alcohol for now as well.

Welcome to the discussion group. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask, and someone will try to help you as best they can.

Take care—

Bill
The risk of sexual transmission in a stable monogamous relationship, without other risk factors involved, is approximately 5%.  The Center for Disease Control suggests that the use of a condom is optional in such a relationship but it is an individual decision as there is still a small but finite risk.  
Not 5%, it's five percent for people with multiple sex partners

The role of sexual activity in the transmission of HCV has been controversial. Case-control studies have reported an association between acquiring HCV infection and exposure to a sex contact with HCV infection or exposure to multiple sex partners. Surveillance data also indicate that 15%–20% of persons reported with acute HCV infection have a history of sexual exposure in the absence of other risk factors (204,208). Case reports of acute HCV infection among HIV-positive MSM who deny injecting-drug use have indicated that this occurrence is frequently associated with other STDs (e.g., syphilis) (209,210). In contrast, a low prevalence (average: 1.5%) of HCV infection has been demonstrated in studies of long-term spouses of patients with chronic HCV infection who had no other risk factors for infection, and multiple published studies have demonstrated the prevalence of HCV infection among MSM who have not reported a history of injecting-drug use to be no higher than that of heterosexuals (211–213). Because sexual transmission of bloodborne viruses is more efficient among homosexual men compared with heterosexual men and women, the reason that HCV infection rates are not substantially higher among MSM compared with heterosexuals is unclear. Overall, these findings indicate that sexual transmission of HCV is possible but inefficient. Additional data are needed to determine whether sexual transmission of HCV might be increased in the context of HIV infection or other STDs.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/hepatitis-c.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hepatitis-c/AN00701
The risk of sexual transmission is significantly increased with STD and in the HIV population but it still can be transmitted in a stable and monogamous relationship although at a low rate.  That is why the CDC has suggested that condom use is optional.
The CDC does not recommend condom use for monogamous couples. It does for people with multiple sex partners.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/126603-common-risk-factors-contracting-hepatitis/#
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/Resources/OrderPubs/Patient/LivingWithChronicHepC_Eng.pdf

Lower right corner page two.  
5% per what? Per year? Per boink? Per lifetime?
     Ya make me smile...and laughter keeps the body tight... oops did I say dat?