Hepatitis C Community
what risk do my children have of contracting hep c through their grandm...

A community of people with Hepatitis C to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: diagnosis, current treatments, side effects, research studies, and clinical trials. To communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit Hepatitis Social.

what risk do my children have of contracting hep c through their grandmother

i just found out my mother in law has hep c.. she was diagnosed 12 years ago and since has been in remission till recently.. she cared for my children while i worked.. of course i quit work since then so i could stay at home with them but my question is what are my childrens risk of contracting the virus ?? she doesn't seem to be concerned about giving it to anyone.. iv seen her share her nail clippers with her husband who does not have hep c and she got affended when he acted like he didnt want to use them..she is also bipolar..i would hope she would never be that way with her grandchildren but how do i know she hasnt shared items like that with my children?? im a nervous wreck! what are the chances of transmitting the virus through house hold items ??she kissed my youngest daughter even though she had a cold sore and now my daughter has herpe stomititis.. can she get hep c that way ??should i have my children tested?apart of me wants to keep my children away from her until she starts taking the transmitting risk serious.. i would never forgive her if my children ended up hep c positive .. NEVER .. and i would feel guilty if i let her around them while she has been so careless .. but yet i would feel guilty keeping them from her because they love her ..
NONE....

Hepatitis C is a blood borne disease. She would have to somehow get her blood into their blood stream. So for heaven's sake please do not deprive them from each others love!
You cannot get Hep C from normal interaction with someone who has it. Meaning hugging drinking from the same cup kissing.  It's not herpes, although they both begin with an H.  You should do some research start with wikipedia.

What does remission mean ? You either have the virus or you don't.
Not quite sure where to start  so how bout we start with.

.". she was diagnosed 12 years ago and since has been in remission till recently"

Unless she did  treatment and cleared she has never been in remission  "recently" or any other time.

Then:

"but my question is what are my children's risk of contracting the virus ?"

Unless her blood got into the blood stream of the children  then    Nil.

Then:

she kissed my youngest daughter even though she had a cold sore and now my daughter has herpe stomititis.. can she get hep c that way .   NO

Then:
.." and i would feel guilty if i let her around them while she has been so careless ."

People with HCV  live with other people and unless their blood gets in the bloodstream of another again  no risk.

And  last  you said in your heading you were concerned about your granmother spreading HepC and then you said it was your mother -in law.  

If this is the same person the problems would seem to go deeper than trans. of HepC

Hope that helps

WILL
Others have addressed that hep c is blood to blood so I won't reiterate that.  What concerns me is your mother-in-laws apparent lack of concern for others welfare, especially given that you say she is bi-polar.  Perhaps, you might want to make certain that they are with both grandparents when visiting, believing the grandfather has the ability to oversee all situations.  Hopefully you can share your concerns with him in a loving and trusting way.  Good luck.
I agree with everyone who has posted. There is no chance iof transmitting the disease to your children. I didn't know I had the disease when my kids were born. They lived their whole childhood with me and are married and have children of their own. They used my razor all the time....who knew?? They are negative as is my husband. Don't keep those kids from their grandparent.
My mistake on my last paragraph she is certanly their grandmother.
You've already received some excellent answers, so I'll just add my personal experience.  My husband of 24 years was hep c positive (had viral loads in the millions, in fact), and you can imagine how much kissing and other close-body contact can occur over such a long length of time.  He has had a number of serious injuries over the years, and I have frequently cleaned up puddles of hcv-infected blood with hands that persistently harbored paper cuts.  We have shared many personal hygiene implements (knowingly or unknowingly) and I am still hcv-negative.  The chances of transmission via common human contact is near nil.  Nothing is 100%, but unless your children are sharing needles with their grandmother or engaging in mutual blood-letting, you can put your nerves and guilt aside.

It's natural for a parent to be concerned for their children, but you need to be aware of what is truly dangerous for them and what is not.  Rather than panic and worry, educate yourself and your children about hepatitis c, and you'll find understanding can go along way in setting your fears to rest.
I agree with all of the above posts. I've been infected for over 25 years yet my 3 kids are clear.

The only thing that should concern you is your mother in law being bipolar and not taking her meds. That can cause them to take risks that can be dangerous. If she is taking her meds then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Diane
One should not share anything that could possibly have blood on it, like nail clippers, tooth brushes, razors for shaving, etc. Also, open wounds should always be covered. It is true that it is only transmitted through blood, but it is also surprising where blood can wind up.
The infected blood has to get into your blood stream and that just isn't easy to do.  Your blood is pumping out not in.  I shaved with the same razor as some else did for over 20 years.  Sure it wasn't everyday but it was a lot.  The person who shared that razor tested negative for Hepatitis C.  It might be surprising where blood can show up alright but it's no surprise it would take both parties direct deep blood contact to pass the Hepatitis C virus from one person to another.  That just isn't that easy to accomplish.  I think grandma's by nature would be a very low risk.

DWBH
My 6 month old sons father I just found out has been using Heroin and pain pills IV,and he has Hep C.I told him since he's a slob and doesn't shower for days at a time and has open abscesses on his hands and other places that he can't put his hands in my sons mouth or kiss him on the mouth,he also has to wash his hands BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING THAT GOES IN MY SONS MOUTH! My son just broke his 2 baby teeth a few days ago,and I'm a veterinary technician so I know the transfer is blood to blood,but since my son has teeth cutting and puts everything in his mouth,that's an open door to his bloodstream, as a mother while the risk may be .001% of my son contracting it,even that is too high!All of his interactions are limited and supervised.I'm sorry to say that isn't much of a problem since his father is more concerned with shooting up than spending time with his son,but it gives me 1 less thing to stress about.I also wanted to mention that the way I found out he had Hep C,and later was shooting up,was I tested positive for HCV Antibodies when I was pregnant, which means I was exposed and didn't contract the actual virus and therefore can't spread it,and my son was born 100% healthy, not having antibodies, I'm going to do all I can to protect him,it's literally my reason for being.Please if you have HCV don't take it personally when someone is leary of contracting it,you would be selfish to assume there is a small risk when it's not you at risk of getting infected, to me with children. 001% is too much risk.Period.
Sandman2 commented on Anxiety disorder - am...
Dee1956 DA DA DA!!! 105 and a half... Comment
prayer33 ... Comment
Sep 25
Track your weight over time