Hepatitis Social Community
Allergic Reaction to acai berry supplement

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Has anyone had or heard of Allergic Reaction to acai berry supplement, characterized by hive-like skin eruptions?
People can have adverse reactions and allergies to all kinds of stuff.  For me it used to be strawberries.  Now, it's work.  The acai is related to the palm tree.
By the way, an acai supplement may not be just acai, may have other stuff in it too.
I had an allergic reaction after drinking acai berry juice.  I broke out into hives all over my body for two days.  Even benadryl didn't help and I don't have allergies and have never had hives in my life.  Weird...  Did you or someone you know have the same reaction?
I was taking Acai supplements and over time my fingertips began to itch... a lot. Then last night I noticed that there were little bumps all over my finger tips and that they were starting to spread. So I decided not to take the supplement last night, got a good night's sleep, and woke up this morning with the redness gone and no itching. I don't know for sure if the hives were entirely from the acai, but I do think it was part of the reason.
I have hives all over my body & this is my second day & LAST DAY on the ACAI BERRY SUPPLEMENT!  I have tried benedryl but it hasn't worked yet so now I am trying honey (supposed to be a natural antihistamine) so we will see.  It started on my scalp than anywhere there was tighter clothing (underclothes) and such.  Any other ideas on getting rid or supressing the extremly itchy hives would be grand!
I drank a bottle yesterday and the day before (10 oz.) My face is and my nose is all broken out and it seems to be spreading. VERY itchy. Around my eyes looks like I went 10 rounds. I also have a strawberry allergy wonder if any relation.
I was taking the Monavie stuff for a while and didn't have any problem but if I broke out in hives I would stop for sure.......try the benedryl and some cortizone for the itching, it's bound to go away if it was an allergy.
  Al lot of ACAI berry suppliments have various herbs in them also. So it could from anything in the formula. I would stick to the real thing. The only problem is that ACAI Berry juice costs about $40 a bottle. But you are only supposed to drink 2 ounces in the morning and an ounce at night.
If you are allergic to one thing, you might as well be allergic to another. So it could very well be that you are allergic to the acai berry itself, like you are allergic to strawberries.

I hope the symptoms will go away very soon. Good luck
Well, I received and took my first ACAIburn supplement today around 2:00 p.m.  Well, here I am at 2:30 a.m.--12 hours later--up typing on the computer because I am up itching.  I looked in the mirror and have hives, big welts, broken out on various parts of my body. Scalp is itching pretty bad as well as my hands.  I have taken a dose of Benedryl, but I see from previous articles that may not work.  Hope it does on me.  This is freaking me out!  Hope it goes away soon. Guess I won't be taking any more of that. I can't think of anything I'm allergic to, but I guess this is the first.
I started on the Acai Berry 1200 3 weeks ago after reading all the praises it got on the Websites.I also was singing its praises until I broke out in hives, bumps and itching from top to bottom and I mean bottom. I've been berry free for 4 days now but the itching has not gone away.Neither have the bumps and hives.I'm taking Zyrtec now in hopes it might help.
Sad thing is that I really felt I was losing weight and had more energy but its not worth what I'm going through now.Any suggestions on what to do about the hives and itching?
I started the acai berry capsule on Monday. I am already on Zyrtec and Singulair for allergies and asthma. I have alot of allergies to meds, perfumes, colognes, laundry soap, air freshners, anything from the ocean, cats, pollen and ragweed. I noticed I was starting to itch on Tuesday night. Well by Thursday I was covered in hives everywhere. By Thursday night I had to use 2 Epi-Pens, 100mg of Benedryl, Albuterol inhaler and start a 10mg dose pack of Prednisone. My eyes were swollen shut, my throat was swelling shut and OMG the itching. It was like I had eaten shrimp or crablegs. I have open oozing sores all over my arms, stomach and legs. I am taking 100mg of Benedryl every 4 hours and the Prednisone is for 12 days. My skin is still really bright red. I am still wheezing and coughing. I am drinking lots of water to try and flush it out of my system. I am not allergic to any other berry or fruit. This has been a horrible experience. I thought I would die during the night. I was awake all night because of the itching and difficulty breathing. This morning I had to take a nebulizer treatment to help. People be careful.
I also wanted to add that my blood pressure went from 130/80 to 88/66 and my heart rate went up to 107 while laying down. This is why I used my Epi-Pen, I was going into anaphylactic shock. BTDT!

I have been taking the ACAI capsules for 3 days - I feel horrible and have just figured out it is THEM causing it - I don't know how to get them out of my system quickly so I am drinking water and eating lots of fiber to try to push the meds out. I am also taking anti histamines now and I feel just awful - stomach issues, hives, general feeling of unwellness (kind of like I am hyper but in an itchy kind of way). Don't take this ACAI stuff if you have any kind of allergies, I do and it's not worth it, I really feel like I may end up at the hospital today if this doesn't get any better as I feel seriously bad!
I also have never had food allergies before, then I started taking acai berry supplements.  I have been breaking out in welts everywhere on my body where clothing would rub, like right by my bra strap and even on the bottom of my feet.  Its so horrible because they actually give me energy and make me feel good.  Anyone know of anything else that does the same thing but doesnt make you break out?
I'm glad I found these post, I suspected it was this pill, I recently started taking.  

I"ve been taking the supplement for a week, the last three nights I have been awaken with extreme itching on my legs, hands and arms. Each night as I quietly tried not to awaken my spouse as  I headed into the bathroom only to be shocked when I turned on the lights.

My skin was inflamed, small to medium size rash bumps and my face was swollen. I quickly took benedryl, which seemed to help the first two nights. Last night was the doozy, masses hives, I had to soak towels in cold water and lay them over my legs and arms to stop the burning sensation. I also took benedryl which works for me. After about 30 minutes in the bathroom the hives began to go down. Finally the benedryl took and it always knocks me out.

I have one allergy and that is to the oil on the leaves of poison plants like poison ivy, poison oak, and poison summac. I love mango fruit and would knock them off my grandmas tree in Florida and eat them. Then I would break out in a rash on my lips and face. Still ate the fruit because I loved them. Come to find out it was not the fruit inside, but that the skin of the mango fruit has an oil that causes similar reaction as poison ivy.  

So, my take is that this berry skin has a similar oil or other additives into this supplement contains an oil that causes this same reaction in me.  

I will be calling customer service tomorrow to get a refund and cancel my membership. So disappointed, because I have been working so hard to get in shape and my stomach bulge is a problem area. I was hoping this would help.  

Not worth the hives and missing out on a good night sleep!  
I had a horrible reaction to acai berry juice. Was in the emergency room twice this weekend, and I have no prior allergies. I am taking prednisone and benadryl. It will take 4 - 6 days to leave my body. This is scary!
I tried the acai juice the first time and nothing serious happened. it was a 12oz bottle. about 4 days ago i bought a bigger bottle of acai juice because i had a cold thinking it might actually strengthen my immune system. for 3 nights i had horrible hives that would start in the late evening on my feet and work their way up to the rest of the body. the itching and burning was so intense i couldnt get to sleep.it went away during the day though. my doctor couldnt figure out what it could be. i mentioned this acai juice to him and he had never heard of it so i am sceptical if acai is the culprit, but after reading all these posts im convinced that acai is responsible.
update: it has been two weeks since I took acai berry and had a violent reaction that landed me in the emergency room.  I had to go on two rounds of prednisone and benedryl. I am still having some reactions, but am getting better. I keep getting a palm smell in my nose, and my lips feel numb as I try to wean my self off prednisone. I have filed a report with the FDA, and feel that anyone trying this product should check with their doctor first. For some, this is very deadly. I am not one prone to allergies, and I see many other afflicted were not. So be careful, and be warned.
I originally thought that my hives were from a fabric softener until I read this. It has been 2 weeks taday that I started the acaipure. I took it for about 5 days and I have been miserable ever since. I went to the emergency room and they said it was just hives and that atarax should take care of it. Nope, still itching. I'm going back to the doctor, hopefully I will feel better soon.

P.S. Mentol works great for the itching!!
If you have hives, antihistamine (Atarax) can only do so much.  Removing the allergen is all that will really do it.  I finished TX, THEN developed hives.  Since no more TX drugs in system, it's not the interferon but the heightened immune system left by interferon can cause some goofy autoimmune responses, like being allergic to a med you've taken successfully for years.  I've stopped benedryl for 3 days and will keep off it longer.  Rash is less red and hives may be less.  I'll also start weaning off of the AD.  With allergic reaction, all you can do is remove possible triggers from the system and see if you've found the correct trigger.
I tried Acai juice and pills last Thursday (recommended dose). All Friday from 3am I was in the toilet and throwing up and with the worst diarrhea.  It took 'til Monday 'til I felt OK again.  I thought I had just had a bug, so started with some Acai juice and another pill Monday lunchtime, once again, I've been in the toilet ever since, feel lightheaded, disoriented and SO TIRED!!!  This is seriously horrible stuff.
my 3yr old daughter took a bite of a nut snack chunk(blueberry, cashew, walnut, almonds, cranbery coated with acai berry powder) and spat it out right away. she then went into a scratching frenzy, and her lower lips swelled up 3 times! we gave her benadryl, took her to children's emergency. by the time we got there, she had hives all over her and her lower jaw swelled up, her eyes were blood shot, and i basically coudln't recognize her it was that bad.
all these time we (including the doctors that took care of her that night) believe it's the cashew nut( she's had peanuts, almonds, cranberrries, blueberries and cashews in halloween choc bars before), but now i'm starting to think it was the acai berry content.
just a mental note, shd you decide to try this yourself, do so in minute bits first..and probably not a good idea to give to little children... my wife and i had a real bad scare that night..
Jon
Vancouver
I just bought a bottle of Acai Berry capsules and took 1000mg and I wish I didn't. I'm itching on my stomach, back and legs.

I will go out and ask my pharmacist, what to take. This is ridiculous. The FDA should be aware of this.  
Oh my gosh!  It happened to me too.  I got the expensive stuff (90% acai pulp) from Costco.  Took only one ounce a day for 3 days.  My whole face is red, especially around my eyes.  Very similar to a poison ivy type reaction/rash.  It has happened before, but not nearly so severe, and I never made the connection to acai, which I taken in less potent forms previously.  Anyway, I went to the doctor and he gave me a steroid injection, prescribed hydroxyzine, and told me to put calamine lotion on my face.  This was today.  I hope things get better soon.
5 days ago my wife and her mother brought home 3 64 fl Oz bottles of Genesis Acai berry Juice.

they each took a sip of the first bottle, hated it and put it down.  I tasted it and did like it but i thought it was still drinkable.

I put a handful of ice in a 34 oz cup - filled it and drank it over the next 35 minutes or so. I didnt liek it very much at first as it tasted liek some kind baby food with a acidy after tast - the cup was so big though i began to get used to it and i drank the whole thing and went to bed.

AM - woke with slight pain in my throat feeling a little woozy.
   i did not associate   "berry juice/ pain"
adter noon started to feel a little better but noticed nose running a little and throat swelling a bit.

night time   same.

next morning - woke @ 5 am with mouth full of mucus feeling like i was drowning - ran to the bathroom and coughed for at least 1 hour - producing flemm so thick that it was still conected in my asophogus while it was also going down the drain - Vomiting occured repeatedly because of this.
    Dissoriented - still i was not associating.

Throat was examined later that day due to swelling and inability to swallow anything solid.

Noted white spots all over the roof and sides and back of my throat - bright what resembling cottage cheese blisters.

looked liek a variant of strep throat and that is what it was diagnosed as.

Today  - its going away - no meds were taken.  It just dawned on me that it could be this juice.   i am not brave enought to try it again.

the white spots are going away and I can swallow a bit better today.  strep does not go away like that.

i am dehydrated and feel like I cant get enough water - weak. constapated.

what a great diet.

I have tried drinks that have a mix of other berries and Acai berry.

No allergies for me...

Im very glad to have come across this forum. I have been contemplating trying Acai Berry to lose some excess weight I gained. I have allergies to certain foods (including strawberries), medications, and even grass and pollen. This forum may have saved me alot of pain, aggravation, and trips to the doctor/ ER. Id rather not take the chance. Thank you!
I was on the pills was feeling great and losing some noticeable weight and then I went to the doctors for my medical assisting shots. Hep B and TB.  My blood pressure was through the roof. 152/92  Doctor recommended I go off Acai because of my adverse reaction.
I have been taking Acai capsules for about 2 weeks, but have started to notice more and more trouble breathing and heavy chest feeling.   I have asthma related to allergies, and am wondering if maybe I have a very minor allergic reaction?   Certainly not the hives and rash others have experienced, but definitely is something going on and seems to be getting worse.   Going to the doctor today but glad I found this info - but also bummed because I have also been feeling good in other ways and thought it was helping.  ugh.
Hi!

I just happened to search "allergic reaction on face" and "no allergies" because that is exactly what I'm having..

I dont have any allergies!

Coupled with I never have ANY skin problems.

I can sleep with makeup on, use non-face lotion, switch between any brand of makeup remover or face wash and until mid-college, never used any face washes.

So I was really weirded out when I don't have allergies or get pimples and I have about 18 little red bumps on each side of my nose (what would seem to be a start of a pimple) but no point or head on them and they are right under both eyes...

I googled it and found that this link popped up within the first three listings... funny thing is... I just started using the Acai Berry Suplement again, but a different, cheaper brand...

I would have never thought of that being the reason!! So thank you guys for taking the time to really make it apparent that it isn't just one out of 1,000 chances..

It's day 2 and I didn't get hives, but I woke up with the same bumps plus a few more... I don't think I took it yesterday but could have with my everyday vitamins...

Will I get hives?

I don't have the time to go to a doctor and I'm a student from out of state so I don't have a ready avaliable doctor or dermatologist on hand...

If you think I should go--- should I see a Doctor? an express doctor?  or a Dermatologist?

Do you think it will go away on it's own?

Anyone else not have any allergies and having this reaction? Besides the one other person on the post.

Let me know asap! I can't skip school classes work or time outside of each unless NECESSARY :)

Thank you!!!! :)
We are not doctors here. I would stop taking the acai berry supplement, drink lots of water during the next days and see what happens. It should go away, if it was because of the acai.

Then in a few weeks, you can try and start taking it again. If it happens again, you know for sure that it is the supplement.

Thank you for your advice I appreciate it!!
I started the acai berry supplement and juice this past weekend-about 4-5 days ago.  The itching started slowly and I really just thought it was normal allergies for the season or the dogs.  Last night was insane!  the insides of my ears itch, my hair itches-now I'm scared.  It woke me from a sound sleep and I can't stop itching.  I think I went through two boxes of tissues sneezes and blowing my nose yesterday.  Never made the connection until aout 4:00 this morning.  Took a prednisone and hope it helps.  If not and this gets worse-I'm heading to the emergency room.  There should be a warning on this stuff!!
I have been sick for 6 weeks. I have had heavy pressure in my chest
and really bad acid reflux. Last week I decided to stop taking the acai juice. It was the only thing that was different in my diet. I have had no acid reflux and am getting better everyday.  Hope this helps someone.
All this negative talk about ACAI juice.....i for one will not take this .
I was psyched about taking the acai supplement because it was suppose to be good for you.  I had all kinds of energy for the 2 days that I took them; however I ended up with an allergic skin reaction.  They look like pimples with a light reddish/pink circle around them and they really hurt.  I've taken benadryl and it hasn't helped.  I have recently called an allergist and waiting on his recommendation.  
I started taking acia about 2 weeks ago.  During the 2nd week developed swellin around my eyes, I look like I have been slugged in the face!  I am so glad I thought to look up possibe affects of this supplement.  I can't imagine what would have happened if I had taken it another day.
Ive read somewhere that the the problems are caused by contamination of the product by some chemicals.
I too was excited about taking acai because I had heard so many great things and it was making my skin GLOW. However, within 2-3 days of taking the acai pill, I broke out into the worst rash I have ever had in my life. It started on my face and ears-looked like chickenpox or poison ivy and itched like crazy and then spread to areas where my clothes were tight like around my bra and belt lines. I went to an urgent care and the doctor looked shocked when he saw the rash (LOL). Benadryl did not help. Finally, went to a dermotologist who gave me a shot and diagnosed it as dermatitis and  only then did the symptoms start to decline. I have hay fever type allergies and have seen some references that acai may cause an allergic reaction in people allergic to pollen, but have never in the past experienced any type of allergic reaction to food or medication.
Why isnt there a world wide alert out on thie garbage.
I am so glad i found this site, i have a bad allergy to strawberries as some of you on here do and i have been hesitating on taking these pills due to the lack of information or list of ingredients that is provided with acai berry thermothin plus, after typing in acai berry reactions/symptoms i kept getting the same pages come up with every search,the ones CREATED BY ACAI BERRY MANUFACTURERS!!!!!   I am so grateful to everyone on here for all your posts as i think you may have just saved me from alot of pain and itching.
Agreed.  I am allergic to poison ivy/sumac/oak, and penicillin.  Didn't dawn on me to check this out, then the itchies came.  After reading other comments, I am done!
I was looking for acai allergy info and found this site. I don't have hep but I do have allergies to a variety of antibiotics, and to cats. I have a very minor bit of asthma. I have some allergy to raw plums and peaches, but that is the only food allergy I have... until now. I thought I would try some acai and drank about 4 ounces of an acai beverage. Two hours later I was gasping for breath. I thought I was going to die. I would not have survived this other than the fact that the really severe part of the attack was only a minute or so in duration and I was able to suck enough air into my lungs at that point (with great difficulty) that I didn't pass out. Then it eased up. I have never had a problem anywhere near as bad as this was. I thank God that I survived this. This is no joke.
Thank You ALL for posting your responses. I have changed my mind about the acai berry! That is so irresponsible for the manufacturing companies to state "very little side effects," - it's like "dieting on apples." I'm really, really disgusted- I don't want to end up in the hospital again for anaphalactic shock. I couldn't find any available information that wasn't sponsered by the manufacturer- isn't that ILLEGAL???
It can be tough on your kidneys. I can't take it either.
I broke out in the worst rash that I have ever had.   After about four days I was cov ered in a sort of chicken pox rash.  It was really itchy and it took weeks before it cleared up with anti histamine tablets and cream..   This happened in November 2009 and I still have the scars on my body.   There should be a warning on these tablets.   I have never had an allergic reaction to anything before
I agree.
I started taking these pills about 7 or 8 days ago. everything was fine until last night i noticed i was breaking out with some kind of rash or hives i'm not sure (i have never experienced anything like this before) i am no allergic to anything that i'm aware of! i thought it might be the acai pills so i searched for side effects and found this! i have to post my story because i am currently absolutely COVERED in red rash / bumps / hives and they itch so terribly! i am even starting to get it on my face now it is spreading so rapidly, it's scary! please beware and be careful if you are looking to try the acai products.
Glad to know I'm not the only one (though I wish none of us had to go through this!) I too had a TERRIBLE reaction to this berry. The supplement I took had no additional ingredients, just acai. I broke out in horrible hives all over my legs and arms and it lasted two full weeks! Nearly drove me mad. I couldn't sleep, was exhausted and irritable, and benedryl and cortisone had no effect at all. I ended up goind to the doctor and getting a steroid shot and a round of prednisone. Even that took its time working. It was the worst, and I wouldn't wish that misery on my worst enemy.
For the past month or so, I've noticed that every few days I come down with what feels like a cold/flu-like symptoms which is very unusual for me because I don't normally get sick easily.  My symptoms would include feeling severe nasal congestion, headache, and most annoying of all a very productive cough (very very thick stick in the back of your throat phlegm).  After a while I noticed that these symptoms would occur within a day of drinking acai juice, but because having a bad reaction to something so "healthy" seemed too weird, I didn't think too much of it.  Yesterday I drank an acai smoothie from a popular smoothie chain and today I am suffering from the same productive cough.  After stumbling upon this forum today, I am now completely convinced that it is this supposed superfruit acai that is responsible for my feeling sick.  
I've had lip swelling and hives all over my body and after reading that others have allergies to it, I think that's my problem.  This morning just made the decision a few minutes ago when I was taking my regular vitamins not to take it and so we'll see how it goes.  RIght now my upper lip is still swollen from yesterday at lunch time - they feel about an inch thick.
from dan1408  I am very thankful to have run across this  comment page.  I have not taken the juice or capsule  form of the acai berry but my wife brought home some chocolate  covered berrys I think they are acai and blue berry.  My wife was smart and only ate a couple.  Since i'm  addicted to anything chocolate I ate about 40 of them.  That was 2 wks ago.  The itching and hives are driving me crazy. The itch is mainly in the armpits ,crotch , feet , legs, abdomen , arms and  head .  I think i've just developed restless leg and can't sleep , thats why i'm writing this at 6 in the morning.     Does any one know how long this misery will last and what can i take for this insane itch.  Benadryl does nothing for me except make me dizzy....Help
Okay, after a few days of detective work, and a gut instinct, AND the testimony on this page, I found the Horrendous!Source! of my insane itching.
It is from Acai Powder as an ingredient in a granola-type breakfast cereal. Today, I had a kind of late brunch, so ate it later than usual and within an hour started itching and have the worst red splotches on top of my feet going up my calf on both legs.
This should make the national news.
My question is:
HOW LONG has acai berry been used as a food? Is there a history of a people who have used this fruit as a food for centuries? The Brazilians? WHO? or is it a recent "Invention"? Some yahoo found that this dark berry  was a super-antioxidant and declared it "good" and recommended using it as a supplement... My instinct tells me again that this is a new phenomenon.
This should make the national news.
My question is:
thank goodness for this post.  i have had severe hive breakouts over the past 3 days and i too am an acai berry supplement user.  I have been using the capsults for over 2 months now, but my dosage has not been consistent because I sometimes forget to take it.  it seemed to be working great for me, but this week, I tooka capsule on sunday morning, which is a bit earlier in the day than usual,  then i skipped for 2 days because I forgot.  I thought i was having a food allergy.  for the past 2 weeks i have been feeling sluggish and like i have a chest cold but my cough was not very productive. i started taking other over the counter medicines only to break out into hives from head to toe.  very painful very disturbing and depressing.
Took 1000mg capsule. Only slightly Allergic to bananas and animal dander. I have asthma. GI Pain,Chest compression, difficulty breathing, itchiness. My knuckles show small bumps that itch, consistent with my allergy to cats. Do not take this supplement. It is a health risk and could stop your breathing. I don't have an epi pen or benadryl and am starting to get worried.
Will CVS take return on a supplement if it causes allergic reactions?
I have taken this before and had absolutely no adverse reactions (however it didn't seem to do anything beneficial for me either).

I am allergic to apples but since not everyone is I don't tell everyone not to eat them.  I dont think in this economy though most people are out buying that Monavie stuff any longer who has money to waste on things like that.
to the person that said it costs $40 a bottle....have you ever been to walmart?
There's a bottle for $2.50. And it's delicious, no extra crap.. I love it and it really cleanses the body. No problems here. I don't use it regularly but it was great for me and my fiance when we tried that kind.
As everyone else, I was impressed by the latest superfood craze acai berry and took it as a supplement (2 capsules per day) for approximately one week.  I noticed that my palms and scalp would start to itch lightly in the morning, but I attributed it to something like general anxiety and stress that I was under at the time and never thought that acai berry might be responsible.
Last week i had random red spots pop out at random places on my body, usually where any kind of pressure was applied, e.g. my  butt, if I was sitting for too long, my hands, if I were doing something , my neck if I rubbed it a lot, etc.  The spots would also swell up and itch, the condition called urticaria and angioedema.  My mom who is a doctor, told me to stop taking any supplements because I was experiencing a typical food allergy.  I was taking Zyrtec pills for about a week, but the spots continued to pop up with steady consistency every evening, although with less swelling. Although I did not take any acai berry supplements any more, I started to think that it must be some other type of food that is causing the allergy. So I got on a really strict diet excluding any known allergy causing foods, e.g. eggs, milk, fruit, shellfish, etc.
I skipped taking Zyrtec last Friday and then was cleaning the apartment all day last Saturday.  Apparently  holding vacuum cleaner and floor steamer in my hands was really a bad idea because by the end of the day on Saturday my hands swell twice their normal size and were all covered in red itchy spots. Also the milder swelling was on my knees and my feet. Nothing really helped, no cream or pill, just holding a cold towel out of the freezer. Pills just knocked me out for the most part of the day.  Finally yesterday afternoon the swelling started to go down to the point that i can actually use computer and type this. It still itches, but not nearly as much as for the last three days.
I went online to see if this was still that acai berry supplement responsible for this nightmare, and could not believe how many people actually have the exactly same symptoms as I did because they took acai berry supplements or juice.  
The acai berry is such a new product on the market that people have no idea that they might have allergy to it and the acai berry producers say: allergy? what allergy? it is like saying that apples cause allergies.
So, unless you take a very small amount first to see if you develop itching, don't experiment with this "supplement".  I never had any food allergies except to some very cheap chemical-laden candies in my childhood, never had allergies to any fruits, was eating kiwis and oranges by the truckload. I would have never thought that I might develop any allergies at this age.  And now this surprise.
I took acai berry for 2 weeks, I started noticing few red spots on chest, I blamed it the softener that I used. Few days later I broke out with a horrible rash, is all over my chest, belly neck an now in my arms. Since I'm in a lot of stress due to my job, my doctor prescribed XANAX. I had the gut instinct that the rash (which by now  developed to hives all over by body) was related to this supplement.

I started researching sites related to this product and I found this site. I was on my way to a clinic to see what was wrong with me. I'm glad this page warns form the side effects.  I stopped taking the product 3 days ago.

anybody out there know how long this product takes to get out of the system?
I started to take Acai Berry Juice, 30 mls a day 6 days ago, my whole face is swollen, my eyes, are really swollen looks like pink eye, with out being pink, I have hives all over my face, I have started to take benadryl, but not sure how much that will help at this point.  I would not recommend this product.
There's a juice brand called Naked that makes really good fruit smoothies.  One of my favorite flavors is Acai Machine (178 acai berries in every bottle).  They're sold in my college cafeteria, are popular (esp. that flavor), and no one I know has ever had any kind of allergic reaction to them.
hi i just want to say thx a lot for good information ,i bought acia burry but i wasnot sure is there any reaction , i asked the shopkeeper but she told me no reaction,by the way you rescue my life beacuse i have got allergy to many things, thx god for serching acia burry reaction thx every body.
I started taking the acai berry pill about a week ago. I took it for a few days and noticed that I started getting what looked like poison on my hands. The next day I noticed it was spreading. I now have it on my lips. Last night I noticed that my genitals started itching. Has anyone ever had this? It's driving me insane!
I was taking pills n drinking liquid in the months prior to diagnosis. I still think it contributed to the breakdown. I was looking for nrg. After 4 mos on it I totally decompensated. No rash, but my hematologist said stop immediately. Hmm jus my story..
Hello to all. I am all broke out in a rash chest to ankles. Went to the doctor on Friday and he had no idea why I broke out in a rash after my hot bath. The itching is horrible. Zyrtek helps for a little while. The only thing i have found to help the itch is calamine lotion. I am allergic to all steroids and yes even the cream the rash got worse in the spot i tried it on as the dr. suggested. All I had was 1 cup of Liptons green tea superfruit with purple acai and blueberry. I am not allergic to blueberries. I do think that anything with sugar in it makes the itching worse and makes it spread including pop. And any type of heat makes the itch worse and also makes it spread. All I can do is wait it out and take my allery pill in the mornings.  
my  2 year old daughter just had a pea sized bite of the acai berry supplement a few days ago..the first night she had a fever.. the next morning the fever was back.. and the bumps started to appear..by the next day her tongue had become swollen.. and the bumps became *****.. and a few people said that it looked very chicken pox like.. i took her to the doctor and now she is on prednisone and benedryl..and an antibiotic... today is day 4.. i hope this stops soon. her arms, hands, and legs are completely covered in ***** bumps. it's on her face, too..amazingly, it's not on her belly and back. it really *****. it's hard to get her to stop scratching.. i can only hope she makes it through this without having scars.
ok. i guess it didn't like my word.. is puss-filled better? insert that in where they put ***** i think it is important information.
ok.. so i just noticed they didn't like another one of my words that i thought was fine.. where i said "it really ****"... is s*cks better?? or sux?
I bought Acai berry and Green Tea capsules from Holland and Barrett and within a few days lost appetite for junk and sweet things which was great.   I started losing weight and took it for nearly 2 weeks. The silly thing is the tops of my fingers were always itching and my lips were sore and began to feel swollen but I thought it must be something else. It wasn't until I was up all night itching and burning all over that I realised I was having an allergic reaction. I had hives all over my body but had ignored he warning signs! I took zirtec and stopped the Acai immediately. I have an intolerance to strawberries and violent allergy to kiwi's so I can only link this to being a berry allergy. Anyone with similar allergies should be careful.
I began taking a  daily chewable Acai Berry supplement (2,000mg of acai berry, it claims) a couple of weeks ago.  

Over the past week and a half, I have had red rashes on my face.  I started with just one on my checck area (raised and bumpy and red).  Then I got another one just above my eyebrow -- it was bigger and more red.  The last 5 days, I also got one on the upper part of my nose (close to my inner eye) and on my eye lid?  I've never had skin problems, no acne since I was a teenager, and havne't worn makeup in a few months.  I can't say for sure that this supplement has cuased it, but I cannot think of anything else I have added or used that would cause this.  I don't have rashes on any other part of my body -- just the face.  It's not extremely itchy, but remains red and bumpy -- now with flaking skin.

I'm going to stop takin the supplements for awhile to see if the rashes clear.  I'll update on what happens -- I hope it's not the supplements , becasue with all the complaints on here, there should be someone looking into this.
I am on my fifth day with the generalized body rashes that may well be caused by the ACAI supplement/cleanse product I took 6 days ago.
I also have been to the ER and the Urgent Care and have been placed on prednisone for 6 days. Tell me,please, how long did you have the rashes?
When did they start to subside and completely disappear?
I am so miserable. I have missed work for 4 days now.
Same kind of reaction. Very itchy and widespread allergic skin reaction. Now I can no longer take many other supplements like bilberry and grape seed. Really don't want to stop taking them, but the acai seems to have sensitized my system. In my 53 years I have never had a reaction to any supplement or food until this.
I had no issue with 500mg Acai   but the 1000mg dose cause me to develop a itchy welt like rash where ever my clothing fit tightly.  A shame really in light of its fat burning stimulation at the 1000mg dosing which is nothing short of phenomenal. I am not certain but I believe a certain vitamin increases absorption substantially when take together.   Its so hard to figure out which one as I take so many. It took several weeks to figure out it was the acai giving me the rash because once you get the rash it puts you into allergy mode and causes allergies to other substances until its out of your system.
Go to doctor and get prednisone it is used for skin allergies also
Yes, I had an allergic reaction to it,  I didn't know what it was until I ran out of it and stopped taking it and the itching and rashes all over my body went away.  
Don't take prednisone like diner1972 suggested.  It will swell your body up and make you retain a ton of water weight.  I took it for a really bad chest infection and had to stop, I almost went into cardiac arrest.
Hi. Can you tell me how long the rash lasted? Is there anything that can be done to make it go away?

just wanted to share my experience with acai berry: I ate a few handfuls of acai berries covered in dark chocolate one night (having never eaten them before) and i have never had any problems with dark chocolate before or since so i don't think it was that.
I started to feel extremely nauseous with the feeling you get with food poisoning or right before you're going to throw up.
after taking a walk outside i realized that my hands and face and neck were covered in hives and my skin was burning hot. friends/family tried to calm me down and i went and threw up and then the hives were covering my ENTIRE body and my skin was so hot it was insane!

they tried giving my some homeopathic teas and lotions that didn't seem to be working and then somebody did reiki on me and the hives went away within an hour and i didn't feel the need to vomit anymore. it felt like a miracle and i was up and about the next morning like it never happened!
i think going to the hospital is a good idea but if you have somebody around who knows reiki let them give it a shot just in case

i'm sorry i don't remember the names of the remedies they gave me but some of them might've helped.
Thanks for the info.  I was trying to discover where this itchy rash was coming from and reading your story, I now believe its the Acai supplements that I have been taking.  I will stop immediately. Thanks again.
same with me. The itching is in my arm and shoulder and hasn't gone away since stopping the capsules. I get shooting pains in my arm now too. I was seeing results from the berry so am disappointed with this side effect. It's happened previously when taking them also so I stopped taking it and then gave it another try as I liked the results. I was taking it for 2 months this time before the itching came back. I wasnt even taking a full dosage. Why do all the sites say there are no side effects when clearly there can be? I had to scroll through pages of sties before finally finding this honest feedback.
same with me. The itching is in my arm and shoulder and hasnt gone away since stopping the capsules. I get shooting pains in my arm now too. I was seeing results from the berry so am disappointed with this side effect
My experience has not been as drastic as yours, but I do have the same allergies. My daughter and I both discovered recently that we are also allergic to mango. What a disappointment since we had really just discovered how much we love it! After taking acai supplements for a couple of weeks, I've gotten one, then two, now four little itchy  bumps on my right hand and began to suspect the acai. Glad I found these posts.
SO GLAD to come across this forum. I've been recently hooked on dark chocolate acai berries (Costco), AND began an Acai Power Berry Pure-Body Cleanse last week. Day by day I've noticed increasing acid reflux (not a problem for me before), and, more scary, what I'm calling "esophageal spasms" (in quotes because it's a self-diagnosis) making it hard to swallow pills and even water. Was just about to call the doctor when I thought I'd google "acai berry reactions." I see most of you have hives. Not me, but a swelling of the esophagus could be why I'm having those spasms and the difficulty swallowing. So, no acai and I'll see if this all goes away.