Hepatitis Social Community
Healthy mode

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Healthy mode

How easy is to move mentally to a healthy state? I mean once SVR is achieved.

Many know to have HCV for a while and it feels like a continue struggle and at times is described as a war.
How easy is to adjust to a healthy state?

The body and our immune system went through a fight for many, many years. How do you unwind? How do you get at peace. And how about if you get peaceful maybe even before you start tx?

Any thoughts? What was your experience?
Hi there.  What a wonderful question?  First I have to say I am more than greatfull to be SVR.  I feel some degree of 'survivor guilt' for my comrads and pray the new improved drugs are approved soon.  I also feel a great deficit with neural fall-out.  I have lost my rudder and filter when it comes to my thoughts (which don't persist long) and the things I choose to spill out of my mouth.  My response to my inability to catch up is to seek a mental health Phychologist exercising cognitive therapy.  Have only had 2 sessions but feel I am at least trying to measure up to the gift I have received being cured.  

How are you handling your recovery and congratulations?
Wow, that is a great question. I was forming a similar question and you actually expressed it beautifully.
I haven't figured it out yet but it is something I would really like to talk with others about.
I had finally resigned my self from life as I knew it. I went through a period of feeling like I had lost my identity. I finally accepted that all I was was lost and then I got better. And life is returning and I am restoring myself-but it is really awkward trying to figure out how to reorganize my being in the world again.
I hope that made some sense, lol
I am only starting triple tx in around 3 weeks, but realized that I have to get peace before I start. I have been in a fight - to get the diagnose, to get funding, to keep going and so on. I want to mentally own it before I start it, to know health is mine and I deserve it.  Actually is not even a matter of deserving. I am IT.  

I am aiming to feel in this way 24/7, right now this thought is just flickering
that was beautiful.  yes,  I agree.
Definately a marvelous attitude working for you.  You can do this and will be better for it, I believe.  I admire you.  Beuna Suerte
I think acceptance is the first step towards positive change

And talking about restoring yourself, Fake it till you become it !!

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html?source=facebook#.UHCyxr9RfHZ.facebook
   Yes, once I realized that for the first time, it was my own health that
I had to restore, instead of one of my children, pets, or spouse/friends/family members, I remember being in a very determined and goal oriented struggle; to have my Medical Insurance approve the Treatment after I found a Tx Doctor, etc.
   Once I had everything set up ( I also attended weekly HCV Support Group, 2 months prior to my Tx, and listendd to other peoples' tales of Tx, ect)  I immediately began to feel very calm. I remember walking around my block, and appreciating all the beautiful flowers, and all the colors seemed so bright.  
   I was very happy and grateful to be recieving the treatment.  I looked at it as a challenge, not as a tragedy. The only other experience I could liken it to, was a 9 month pregnancy, but instead of the reward being a baby, the reward is Good Health.  Both of these events made me get out of shape, but produced wonderous results :)
Diana-thank you so much for that link-I totally get it-really terrific
Diana, I just saw this post and it is such a great and extremly thought provoking question, and thank you for posting. For me, I had HCV for 37 years before dx and began treatment fairly soon after. I didn't live with HCV, it wasn't a part of me as it is a part of others daily lives. It's true, our bodies are fighting such a big losing battle while we have HCV (whether we know it or not) and is forced to fight an even bigger battle during tx, hopefully not a losing battle but we never do know, do we? I have bouts of insomnia because HCV/SVR is all that is on my mind. I have not officially attained SVR yet (February is the D-day) and I'm not even sure I have even come to terms with all of this or ever wlll even if I do attain SVR. I have been UND since week four (completed treatment 2 months ago) and HCV is constantly in my thoughts, the fear of no SVR, every little thing, I tell my fiance I think I've relapsed. I think I haven't allowed myself to think of life after HCV. I'm very scared for my future, we'll see what happens after February.
Sickness and of course, the treatment itself can cause depression.
Three months post tx,  my spirits lifted as my ability to feel joyful returned.
However I think you are asking a bigger question than simply about SVR post tx.

As creatures of habit, being free of the virus that has been the focus of our attention can be challenging. Some stay involved with the hep c community, becoming advocates. Others turn their attentions elsewhere.

For myself, after being diagnosed with hep C, and decompensated cirrhosis, going through tx, a transplant and tx again, the awareness of being free of this virus after 7 years of such intense focus on this virus was at first one of enormous relief.
I believe it's important to think not about getting one's life back but about going forward into the next phase of life.

Here's a good link that addresses your question:
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/HCV%20Neg.pdf
Don't let your disease become who you are.Let go of things you can't control and do your best to remedy these things,for example why let bad weather affect how you feel.Life is a constant battle and full of challenges and it's in how you deal with these challenges and situations  that determines in part whom you are.Change your way of thinking and it will change the way you feel.Concentrate on what you have more then what you don't have....My Sunday sermon..lol..just a few tips that are easier said then done.

Best wishes on your treatment and after treatment.

Dannyboi7
Lol..That is all good if one is not a perfectionist and a control freak (wink, wink) I think my lesson is to surrender :)
Well than your mental health should be great,(wink wink)..Unless the underlying problem is  biologically based.