Hepatitis Expert Forum
Anitbody test positive and RNA test is -ve
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Anitbody test positive and RNA test is -ve

Hi,

Recently i got blood tested and on intial screening it comes that Antibody HCV is positive. Subsequetly I got PCR test whihc comes negative. Now wht will be the further steps for me. Is there any medication by which Antibody becomes negative. Please advice.

Thanks and regards

Sarfraz
Related Discussions
7 Comments
Blank
669455_tn?1244619977
Hi,

Me also i had a test I only have antibodies, can people still get the disease from me? and can i still join the army?
Blank
158241_tn?1237723123
About 20% of people who get infected with HCV do not get a chronical Hepatis. It is not completely understood, what makes these lucky people different from the other 80%
If one has Antibodies only, he/she is not infectious anymore. Please repeat the PCR in a few weeks to exclude a wrong negative result.

To keep it short: If you have antibodies, you have had contact to the virus, but if you do not have RNA, you are cured. Nevertheless, for priciple reasons you are not allowed to donate blood.

Does someone know why there are no answers from Dr. Dietrich to the questions? MedHelp?

Regards, drofi

Blank
338734_tn?1377163768
Liver conference last week probably has keept a lot of hepatologists busy lately.
Blank
There is a good chance your reactive screening test is a 'false pos.'  To find out,

ask for a 'Riba' test, Recombinant ImmunoBlat Assay.  This test is VERY specific

for hep c antibody.  The screening test is VERY sensitive for ALL antibodies produced by

your immune sysytem.

Can you find out what your 'signal to cut/off ratio' was on the screening test?  I'll bet it was less than 3, which means there is a good chance it is a false pos.  A neg Riba
means the reactive screening test was false.

Good luck on this.
Blank
669455_tn?1244619977
Went to the garnarologist(not sure if thats how you spell it)that was 2 weeks ago - Had to wait 20 days for my test to come back I find out thursday, Ive had 3 test for Hep C all neg for the disease but all POS to antibodies - Where do i go from as im trying to reach entry to join the army.
Blank
669455_tn?1244619977
Can anyone Help?
Blank
669455_tn?1244619977
wanting to know if i can still join the army.
Blank
A related discussion, HCV Antibody Borderline PCR of HCV negative was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
4 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank