Hepatitis Expert Forum
Anitbody test positive and RNA test is -ve

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Recently i got blood tested and on intial screening it comes that Antibody HCV is positive. Subsequetly I got PCR test whihc comes negative. Now wht will be the further steps for me. Is there any medication by which Antibody becomes negative. Please advice.

Thanks and regards

Sarfraz

Me also i had a test I only have antibodies, can people still get the disease from me? and can i still join the army?
About 20% of people who get infected with HCV do not get a chronical Hepatis. It is not completely understood, what makes these lucky people different from the other 80%
If one has Antibodies only, he/she is not infectious anymore. Please repeat the PCR in a few weeks to exclude a wrong negative result.

To keep it short: If you have antibodies, you have had contact to the virus, but if you do not have RNA, you are cured. Nevertheless, for priciple reasons you are not allowed to donate blood.

Does someone know why there are no answers from Dr. Dietrich to the questions? MedHelp?

Regards, drofi

Liver conference last week probably has keept a lot of hepatologists busy lately.
There is a good chance your reactive screening test is a 'false pos.'  To find out,

ask for a 'Riba' test, Recombinant ImmunoBlat Assay.  This test is VERY specific

for hep c antibody.  The screening test is VERY sensitive for ALL antibodies produced by

your immune sysytem.

Can you find out what your 'signal to cut/off ratio' was on the screening test?  I'll bet it was less than 3, which means there is a good chance it is a false pos.  A neg Riba
means the reactive screening test was false.

Good luck on this.
Went to the garnarologist(not sure if thats how you spell it)that was 2 weeks ago - Had to wait 20 days for my test to come back I find out thursday, Ive had 3 test for Hep C all neg for the disease but all POS to antibodies - Where do i go from as im trying to reach entry to join the army.
Can anyone Help?
wanting to know if i can still join the army.
A related discussion, HCV Antibody Borderline PCR of HCV negative was started.