Hepatitis Expert Forum
Hep C and Nausea

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hep C and Nausea

I've been on treatment for Hep C for 11 weeks (currently viral load is 29,000; genotype 1) and I have 36 more weeks to go.  My doctor has me on  PegInterferon injections (l80MCG x 1 weekly) and Ribavirin (200mg 4 pills daily) and Procrit injections (2x weekly).  I understand the anemia but what is causing the extreme nausea that I experience  My doctor just put me on Ondansetron and it seems to be helping, so far.  Doctor, can you explain in layman terms, please, what's with the nausea?  Is it just the body's reaction to sooooo much medication?  Or is my body trying to tell me something else?  Thank you, Ms. Vette
Everyone responds to the medicine differently. Often the ribavirin causes nausea for the first few weeks, but then fades. Make sure you take the ribavirin on a full stomach. I also use PPI's like prilosec, H2 blockers like Zantac and reglan(metoclopramide) which is much cheaper than Zofran.You can take them all together as well. The ribavirin also alters your taste for food and nothing tastes good either sometimes confusing the issue with nausea. Good luck! DTD
Try  this  natural  product: 1 teaspoon  of  bentonite sodium in 8 oz of water. It is amazing.  Bentonite has no side effects.  It energizes your liver.  Bentonite solution is used for tens of years in clarifying the wine. You can use any pill, no problem.  Bentonite has a physical effect only. Hep. C  is  almost inexistent in places where population drink water from wells where the water floats on argyle.    Try it! It acts immediately.
Bentonite Sodium??? has no interaction with the meds? Check with your doc first just to be sure. When you get an answer, let us know...K?

There is also Emetrol....I took it when I was pregnant for morning sickness. Emetrol is a sugar syrup that settles nausia. I have been given the ok from my doc on the Emetrol.

Gator