Hepatitis Expert Forum
Hepatitis C Through Deep Kissing and Touching of Hard Surfaces

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello all,
   I (male) went to a female escort about 5 weeks ago and I had protected oral and protected vaginal sex while I was wearing my boxers (yes... a little too cautious) and engaged in deep kissing. I brushed my teeth and used listerine before which I know not to do anymore and also after brushing my teeth I turned off the sink using the top of my finger where there was a small open cut/wound that wasn't bleeding but was visibly red and maybe was in the beginning stages of scabbing. I have been vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B already as well. At around the 3 week mark and then about now I've been having these off and on again upper abdominal pain (some pain but more discomfort) and bloating especially when I eat. I don't know if I saw some website about HCV and then assumed that my liver was being affected which is causing me this abdominal pain and bloating. Couple questions:

1) Would there have to be HCV-contaminated blood on the sink handle for me to acquire HCV if I touched it with an open cut on my finger? If there was and I immediately washed my hands am I ok?

2) I've read from Dr. Handsfeld of the STD, HIV forum that HCV cannot be contracted through deep kissing otherwise it would be considered a STD which it is not.

3) Reading my scenario, realistically, what is the likelihood of actually acquiring HCV?

4) Could I just be worrying myself to death and my bloating/abdominal pain, discomfort is from stress and anxiety even though I'm not overtly stressing about it.

5) Can I get a HCV antibody test at around the 6 week mark and if it comes out negative would that be a relatively good indicator that I don't have it? I can't wait for 3 months or 6 months.

Thanks all
Your Hcv risk is minimal to non existant.  Sexual transmission is rare, and is usually

male to female.  Using a condom is a big plus for you.  I wouldn't worry about Hcv from

this.  Remember the worry the next time you are tempted.

Hep B is a classic Std and is easily transmitted through sex.  There is an effective vaccine against hep B.  A series of three shots.  consider that.
Good to know about the minimal to non-existant HCV risk for my sexual encounter. And yes, I will remember this worry, but there won't be a next time as I'm not planning on this again I'm pretty sure. Fortunately, I have gotten the Hep B vaccination and was confirmed that I had the antibodies after I finished the series so I'm good on that front.

What about briefly touching a hard surface (bathroom sink faucet handle) with the top of a finger with a small open cut that was not bleeding but was not yet fully scabbed? I didn't see blood on the faucet handle so I'm ok correct? I just don't know how many clients of this escort have touched this handle so I'm just a little worried about that.

And do my symptoms sound anything like hepatitis this early from possible infection date? The abdominal pain is more like a knot like feeling, but it's good this morning.

Am I just overreacting way too much and possibly stressing too much which is causing my stomach discomfort and bloating?

Thanks for your support Dr. and people.
Mylanta might offer you some relief on the digestive problems.  You might want to talk with your doc if it doesn't improve. There are too many medical conditions that can cause bloating and digestive discomfort (other than liver issues) so don't take it too lightly. And, please be more careful with your life, HCV really ***** as the years go by.  Drop a line here to let us know how you're doing.
Thanks for the reply. I will be more careful. In your honest opinion what do you think my risk was with what I described? Do you think I'm overreacting? And can a 6 week hcv antibody test give me at least a good indicator if i'm infected or not? Don't want to wait 3 months to test if I don't have to