Hernia Repair Expert Forum
How do I choose?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about hernia repair and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in hernia repair. A hernia occurs when part of an internal organ bulges through a weak area of muscle. Most hernias occur in the abdomen. Types of hernias, include, Inguinal, in the groin; Umbilical, around the belly button; Incisional, around or through a scar; Hiatal, in the diaphragm; Congenital Diaphragmatic, caused by a birth defect.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How do I choose?

Hi. My primary physician referred me to a general surgeon for hernia surgery. I have doubts about a general surgeon's ability to perform a laparoscopic bilateral procedure. Several reputable sources note that this surgery has a steep learning curve and that <200 surgeries per year would ensure enough experience. How do I find out a surgeon's experience? Are there accrediting organizations for specific procedures? Are there questions that a patient would be wise to ask before agreeing to surgery?
3 Comments
Blank
2827584_tn?1340583296
Inguinal hernia repairs are usually either the most common or the second most common procedure performed by general surgeons in practice. I would think that your primary care made a specific referral based on excellent service and outcomes in the past. Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairs have been common place for over twenty years and have gotten progressively easier to perform through the development of preformed mesh that fits the space much better than the old days when we had to fashion our own fom a flat sheet of material. In my community where roughly thirty general surgeons practice, complications have been exceedingly rare.
Blank
3210170_tn?1346888153
Thank you Dr. Watters for your prompt reply. This is my first surgery under general anesthesia. My anxiety is heightened and my trust challenged. I understand that laparascopic hernia repair is becoming more common. I just want to ensure that I am under the care of someone whose level of experience engenders confidence. And, I'd like to ascertain this information without being disrespectful!  Thanks again.
Blank
2827584_tn?1340583296
We are seeing a much more educated group of patients now. Most have done some research on what questions to ask and inquiring about volume is fair game. I don't think many surgeons would think that would be disrespectful to ask.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank