Herpes Community
0.90-1.10 Equivocal Positive, Do i have herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I went to get blood work done to check for stds as well as several other things. Everything else came back non-reactive but what really scared me was seeing  (0.90-1.10 equivocal positive- hsv-1 or hsv-2 igg antibody detected). Needless to say i was very scared! I am 25 and have has sex with maybe about 15 women but have only used unprotected sex with 3 of them. One was my 1st sexual encounter and girlfriend of 7months another was a girlfriend of 3 yrs. The last time I had unprotected sex was with another girlfriend but only did it once.
I do not believe I have ever had an outbreak on or around my genitals and am sure I haven't had a coldsoar. I have read other posts where doctors have said that 1.10 equivocal positive is most likely not hsv-2  and  that 3.5 or higher is hsv2 positive. I am very concerned about taking another test but possibly might take the western blot, but am hesitant because I haven't had any outbreaks or reason to other than the results from this last test.
Do you believe me to be positive for hsv-2 with a 1.10 equivocal positive test result and if so what are some deffinet clues to look for? Also should I get another test and if so which do you recommend? I appreciate your advice very much as I am going through a difficult time with all this on my mind. Thank you, n hope to hear from you soon.

was that a combined herpes test result or specifically a hsv2 result?

equivocal is negative. did you wait for at least 3 months after the last time you had sex to get the herpes igg blood testing done?

condoms aren't 100% protection against herpes and hpv so it is important to be screened for both periodically ( hpv is visual screening only at this point ). Remember to use them properly too so that they help most - the condom goes on when the clothing goes off, don't just wait for actual penetration to put one on.

grace

Thank you for your comment. Yes i got screened for both and hsv and came back with a (negative- no hsv-1 or hsv-2 igg antibody detected) so I wasn't to concerned with having hsv-1. Just my result for hsv-2 was my big worry. So with a equivocal positive result are you fairly certian I  
So long as it's been 3 months since your last suspected encounter, then equuivocal is negative, as Grace stated.
Thank you for your comment. Yes i got screened for both hsv and came back with a (negative- no hsv-1 or hsv-2 igg antibody detected) so I wasn't to concerned with having hsv-1. Just my result for hsv-2 was my big worry. So with a 1.10 equivocal positive result should i be feeling comfortable in thinkin that i am hsv-2 free?  Like i said I am very safe when having sex and I also maintain a healthy life style by working out 5 times a week as well as eating well. Also, have had no outbreaks or any real reason to believe i am infected. Thank you again, your comments are very much appreciated!
just to clarify - your hsv2 igg was 1.1?  rereading your post I"m concerned that you didn't post your results for me to look at - what you posted was the result range.
I apologize, my result was 1.10. You are right my range was 0.90-1.10. Does this change my having hsv-2? Also, what are some deffinet symtoms (symptoms) to look  for, like i said i do not believe i have ever had an outbreak. Just to clear things up I am a ma le I know my profile says female and i need to change that.
Thank you very much also, please if there is anything else you could mention about what else I have posted it would be very helpful to me. Thanks again
when was the last time you had sex prior to testing?
Maybe 3-4 months maybe longer.
it's not likely that your 1.1 result is a true positive. you can wait and repeat your testing in another month to see what it is then and see if you get a clear negative then or not.
Thank you again for your help. I Appreciate you taking time to help me get this straightened out.