Herpes Community
Bartholin Gland

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Bartholin Gland

Last year, I was tested for HSV -1 and determined to be positive for that.  I do not know how I contracted it.  I have read that some tests are unreliable and my doctor told me that the diagnosis was "totally unimportant."  I was tested negative for HSV -2 at that time.  A few months ago, my OB GYN told me that I had a bartholin gland abcess (abscess) and had it lanced and gave me antibiotics.  It has since healed.  Since then, I have learned that my ex-boyfriend was hested positive for HSV-2.  Although I have had no symptoms (that I know of) for HSV -2 (or even HSV - 1 for that matter  -- I've never had a cold sore in my life), I am concerned that the bartholin abcess (abscess) was a sign of the HSV virus.  Is that correct? What is the likelihood that I could be positive for HSV - 2 (I was with my ex boyfriend for three months and we used condoms irregularly).  Thanks.
By the way, after the doctor treated the bartholin gland, she also did a pap smear and said that the results were normal.
A pap test doesn't test for std's.

Was it a blood test that was hsv1+ or a lesion culture?

grace
a blood test, but i don't know what type
i've never had any lesions of any type, on mouth or genitals, by the way. thanks.
do you think that there is a risk of hsv - 2 based on this? i'm just not sure.  thanks.
i was just reading about a bartholin cyst, information stated that it is usually accompanied by an std. did your doctor offer any more information about it? can it be accompanied with herpes?
my doctor just said it was an infection - not unlike a yeast infection - that can be caused by bacteria.  she didn't mention stds and i didn't even know of a link between the two until i read it on the internet.  my internist said that the two things are totally unrelated so i'm confused totally.  i just don't know.
im confused also, thats why i took interest in your post. i think i have it. get a cyst every time i have sex. it looks like a dark bubble under the skin near the vaginal opening, about size of a nickel and is sore. thought it was either a gland or muscle. after couple of days, it goes away and there is alot of yellow discharge that stinks. internet says it often heals itself and only requires medical attention if it gets infected or happens alot. i'm starting to worry because i know its happened to me at least 4 times in the past 4 months, always after rigorous sex (not fast quickies). i have hsv-1. how did your doc treat it?
How long after you had last been with your ex bf had you had your herpes blood test done?

grace
I had two tests done -- I had one done three months into the relationship (it was a blood test, but I don't know what type) and it was negative; and I had another one done four months later (three weeks after the relationship ended), but that was a "swab test" - the doctor called it a "vaginal culture" if I remember correctly (this was NOT a blood test), and that was negative.  To my knowledge I've had no symptoms or outbreaks ever - including cold sores.  I've never been treated for herpes of any kind because I've never had symptoms.  I'm just confused.
I just got test results back.  This is what they say - It isn't totally clear to me what they mean -- What I have written below is a word for word quote from the documented test results:

HSV 1 IGG HERPESELECT AB 0.55 NONREACTIVE
HSV 2 IGG HERPESELECT AB 0.40 NONREACTIVE
INTERPRETATION NEGATIVE

What on earth does this mean?