Herpes Community
Can Herpes be spread to the inside of your mouth?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have had a cold sore recently and then I had an ulcer looking thing in my mouth at the base of my gums and on my gum a little. I have read on here from some doctors that you can't get oral herpes but I have read in medical books that you can.
So, I am CONFUSED.  How would I have spread it to my mouth. I have had HSV-1 for 12 years now and never had any in my mouth.

Also in the back of my throat look like tiny blisters. I aslo have them on the roof of my mouth. maybe I'm just overreacting and being detailed and picky. No fever. Throat a little sore but not affecting my eating.

Also, do you have to have a break in the skin to transmit the virus.  Say that I kissed my husband with a sore crusted and almost healed.  He had no skin breaks. Would he get it?

I have really been paranoid about all this.  I have 3 small children and I seen pictures on the internet showing herpe outbreaks, so I just freak out.
I have seen conflicting answers on this matter.  recently I had an ulcer on the base of my gum and on the gum a little.  I did have cold sore recently but I am very careful.  
So when I found this I freak out.
Now when I use a flashlight to inspect my mouth I can see tiny, tiny pimples on the roof and the back of my throat. I on't if they are normal but I am really upset.
Can they spread down my throat, can they spread inside of my mouth?
I always heard that you can only get recurrent herpes on your lips not anywhere else.

Please someone answer this.
You can get in inside the mouth on the gums, but this isn't usual with a recurrence.

You can also transmit it without someone having cuts or breaks in the skin if you are kissing a mucous membrane.

This might not be hsv1, though, and it would be a good idea to get it checked.  It could be a reaction to a new toothpaste or mouthwash or something, or an indication of a bacterial infection.

AJ
So why can't I spread it to myself inside my mouth if I can spread it to someone else that way?
Thanks for the reply btw.
Also ,
it is possible to spread inside though. I have seen pictures online of the oral ones, inside the mouth. I usually don't freak out like this but this is something new.
Because you already have an oral infection, and you can't re-infect yourself.  Its not a spreading issue with your own infection.  The infection isn't just on your lips.  Herpes infects nerve groups, and the nerve group that oral herpes infects actually covers most of the face.  The most common location for outbreaks is the lips, which is why you've only had outbreaks there.

You might just be having a severe ob, or its something entirely different, like a reaction to something.

I would get it checked if its concerning you so much.

AJ