Herpes Community
Can you catch oral herpes if from having a conversation with someone?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Please don't tell me I'm uneducated, it's called fears. I have been OBSESSIVELY educating myself in herpes transmission, but this one I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Is it at all possible for a person to get oral herpes from someone (whether they have an outbreak going on or not) if they accidently spit a little bit on your lip?

Is it a guarantee and known fact that herpes can be only transmitted through DIRECT contact? Or is it possible for someone to get herpes this way?

I have never had an outbreak, and I have tested negative for the IgG test.

Don't panic, my friend.  Having just gone through a horrible 6-month long scare myself I can tell you to relax.  HSV can only be contracted through direct  contact, since the virus has to be pressed or massaged into the skin.  That's why the mouth and genitals are so susceptible to it--the tissues are thinner and more sensitive.

My first advice is to breathe.  Getting HSV from spit on your lip is pretty far fetched, particularly if the spitter didn't have any kind of outbreak.  If you haven't had any symptoms, and the IgG test comes back negative, you're fine.  If you want peace of mind, you could also have a Western Blot test done, though that test is generally most accurate after several months.  

Speaking as someone who's just come out of this panic, my best advice is to stop scaring yourself!  HSV is a tricky virus that can take any number of forms, but constantly reading the frightening, often conflicting and inaccurate information on the web is NOT the way to cope.  Again, trust me on this one.  If you're scared, arrange an IgG blood test or speak to the CDC or one of the other experts on here, but for now, it sounds like you've little to worry about.